“Don't bother with the spa unless you are a hotel guest and it is convenient” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Tysons Corner

Special Offer
$50 Hotel Credit + More
Ranked #6 of 15 hotels in Tysons Corner
easton, maryland
“Don't bother with the spa unless you are a hotel guest and it is convenient”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

This was a day trip with my daughter-in-law for spa and lunch. The hotel clearly caters to business travelers who are a captive audience. The spa has the luxury of Ritz, but small and very few amenities. The pool area is closed from 10am-5pm! So, no swimming or lounging by the pool. The Relaxation room, the only place to lounge/chat/enjoy time not in a treatment...is very small and no amenities except a pitcher of water and hot tea. I expected so much more from a Ritz Carlton. The practitioners were good but not great...very disappointing for a Ritz and those prices.
Lunch was in a very good atmosphere, as expected from a Ritz. Some of the food was cold, but we were enjoying; so I did not comment. Won't go back.

Room Tip: We did not stay overnight
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

364 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Newton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

This is my first stay at this property. It was billed as "exceptional" by friends who have stayed here and I second their opinion. The rooms are good sized, furnished lovely and the hotel tends to just about every detail. It is adjacent to a luxury mall and has direct access to it. If you are a shopper, you can shop until you drop and never have to leave the property! The hotel itself is meticulous and room service is extremely efficient. Is it pricey? You bet but, if you want to bask in the lap of abject luxury, it is fairly reasonable. My only criticism was the lack of adequate outlets for the electronic gear we all need to carry.

Room Tip: Go to a high room; the views are exceptional!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We stopped here for two nights on a trip South. The hotel was very nice and conviently located. The rooms were smaller than I would have expected and we were surprised they didn't have 2 queens. The options were only 2 doubles or 1 king. Since we were only there for 2 nights it wasn't too much of an inconvience. The service was excellent and there are many nice restaurants close by.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

This is a great hotel. Period. I was there an entire week on business and booked a room there, having never stayed at a RC before. I received an email from the staff the day before my arrival, which happened to be a Sunday. I had sent a response to this person requesting two things and I received a very timely email back answering my requests.
When I arrived I was impressed by the lobby and elevators. I'm a huge fan of wood paneled interiors and other old school features and this hotel is full of them. I had a fantastic encounter with the gal I checked in with (I forget names easy). I liked the room and the things I requested were already present. I've stayed in many rooms that were bigger and/or offered more, but this room had ample space, cushy furniture and a pretty solid bathroom.
The secret of it is the amenities the room offered: two super soft and thick bathrobes, in wall safe, nice toiletries, ample amounts of bottled water (free), a wide variety of tea, super soft bed, a phone about every 3 feet - including one in the bathroom, a huge daisy shower head with great water pressure, a shaving mirror, etc.
I was pleasantly surprised the following afternoon when I came back. It's one thing to say that it felt like my mother was the housekeeper, but in this case I think it was the Beavers mother who was the housekeeper. I found my toiletries were nicely arraigned for me on a washcloth, all of my hotel provided toiletries were replaced, my linens were folded up nicely, the items I left at the desk were smartly arraigned and chocolates were left out for me. This happened on a daily basis, which I was very pleased to see.
The staff at the hotel are incredibly courteous, they go the extra mile and it shows. Being treated like a VIP isn't something that carries much weight with me, but being treated as a welcomed guest and earning their repeat business is a rarity in today's marketplace.
I would go back this place in a heartbeat. I wouldn't even bother looking at other hotels. It was priced very inexpensive as well (corporate discount mind you), but even for a little more than the other places in Tyson's, it's the winner.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Ellicott City, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The best part of our overnight trip to the Ritz was breakfast the following morning in the Bistro. The service was great, the food was delicious and the cost was not overly pricey.

The room, however, was another matter. When booking a room at the Ritz-Carlton, you believe you are getting the best of the best. It's name alone conjures images of chandeliers (which they have in the elevator) and marble floors and glorious luxury. The hotel is beautiful and the service was great. We were so grateful to be able to use Marriott Rewards Points to stay there, but we believe that it is because we used those Rewards points that we were put in a room right next to the elevator. Our room, 2220, had a toilet that you could only flush once every 7-9 minutes. In addition, the noise was ridiculous. Not only could you hear the elevator move and the elevator doors open, but you could also hear the beep when the doors opened and then the doors sounded like they slammed shut. If it hadn't been so late when we got in and settled and in bed, we would have complained and asked to switch rooms, but at nearly midnight, it wasn't worth the aggravation.

So, great hotel and food. Perhaps the rooms near the elevators need some work.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I've stayed there several times and thought I'd write a review. It is clearly the best hotel in the N Virginia area (although never stayed at RC in Pentagon City). The staff is great, the rooms are comfortable, and even the adjoining rooms and rooms by the elevator are quiet (both personal pet peeves normally). The only reason I didn't give 5 stars is because of (i) numerous minor but annoying maintenance quirks, such as repeatedly needing to have maintenance calibrate thermostats so heating and A/C will come on (otherwise it won't come on at all); burned out light bulbs; 2 defective clock radios that engineering had to replace; and (ii) no hotel restaurant other than the wine bar, which doesn't have too many normal-sized restaurant tables, and always seems to be fully of very loud people. Not conducive to a quiet meal at all but the food is decent and they do have a full menu (not just a bar menu). It is also too small to be the only restaurant in a hotel of this size. But the hotel connects to the Tyson's Galleria and there are plenty of restaurants in there, but not as convenient as a hotel restaurant. Also, if you like your hotel bill emailed to you, it usually takes a couple of requests and 2 or 3 days, but this may be a Marriott systems issue since it seems common to all Marriotts. (Other hotels email on day of checkout.)

Room Tip: Every room I've had is good. No complaints in that department.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

After several stays here I thought it was time to write a review. The General Manager, Mark Sherwin has put this hotel in the "Best of Class" in the Washington area over the years he has managed this property. From the time you pull up to check in, the staff warmly great you and make the transition to the Check in smooth and painless. After a few stays they have your name memorized .
Check-in is professional and Mark will often be in the lobby greeting his frequent guest. The rooms are well appointed as you would expect. Housekeeping is exceptional with Towels and bedding looking brand new. The Executive lounge is staffed by people who really enjoy their jobs. A special notice of one of their staff was Kylie Fitzgibbons who offered to take our picture when we wee going out and then emailed them to us !
Valet was on time and well done as was room service. They have never let me down on the wake up call either. As always it is the little things in life on the road and this hotel as it perfected.
All in all this hotel is the one place I stay when there can be no mistakes for a meeting or special occasion.
-Carter Pate

Room Tip: Not a bad room in the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Tysons Corner? Share your experiences!