“Nice Stay, Expected Better” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$50 Hotel Credit + More
Ranked #5 of 14 hotels in Tysons Corner
New Jersey
“Nice Stay, Expected Better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We stopped here for two nights on a trip South. The hotel was very nice and conviently located. The rooms were smaller than I would have expected and we were surprised they didn't have 2 queens. The options were only 2 doubles or 1 king. Since we were only there for 2 nights it wasn't too much of an inconvience. The service was excellent and there are many nice restaurants close by.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

390 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

This is a great hotel. Period. I was there an entire week on business and booked a room there, having never stayed at a RC before. I received an email from the staff the day before my arrival, which happened to be a Sunday. I had sent a response to this person requesting two things and I received a very timely email back answering my requests.
When I arrived I was impressed by the lobby and elevators. I'm a huge fan of wood paneled interiors and other old school features and this hotel is full of them. I had a fantastic encounter with the gal I checked in with (I forget names easy). I liked the room and the things I requested were already present. I've stayed in many rooms that were bigger and/or offered more, but this room had ample space, cushy furniture and a pretty solid bathroom.
The secret of it is the amenities the room offered: two super soft and thick bathrobes, in wall safe, nice toiletries, ample amounts of bottled water (free), a wide variety of tea, super soft bed, a phone about every 3 feet - including one in the bathroom, a huge daisy shower head with great water pressure, a shaving mirror, etc.
I was pleasantly surprised the following afternoon when I came back. It's one thing to say that it felt like my mother was the housekeeper, but in this case I think it was the Beavers mother who was the housekeeper. I found my toiletries were nicely arraigned for me on a washcloth, all of my hotel provided toiletries were replaced, my linens were folded up nicely, the items I left at the desk were smartly arraigned and chocolates were left out for me. This happened on a daily basis, which I was very pleased to see.
The staff at the hotel are incredibly courteous, they go the extra mile and it shows. Being treated like a VIP isn't something that carries much weight with me, but being treated as a welcomed guest and earning their repeat business is a rarity in today's marketplace.
I would go back this place in a heartbeat. I wouldn't even bother looking at other hotels. It was priced very inexpensive as well (corporate discount mind you), but even for a little more than the other places in Tyson's, it's the winner.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Ellicott City, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The best part of our overnight trip to the Ritz was breakfast the following morning in the Bistro. The service was great, the food was delicious and the cost was not overly pricey.

The room, however, was another matter. When booking a room at the Ritz-Carlton, you believe you are getting the best of the best. It's name alone conjures images of chandeliers (which they have in the elevator) and marble floors and glorious luxury. The hotel is beautiful and the service was great. We were so grateful to be able to use Marriott Rewards Points to stay there, but we believe that it is because we used those Rewards points that we were put in a room right next to the elevator. Our room, 2220, had a toilet that you could only flush once every 7-9 minutes. In addition, the noise was ridiculous. Not only could you hear the elevator move and the elevator doors open, but you could also hear the beep when the doors opened and then the doors sounded like they slammed shut. If it hadn't been so late when we got in and settled and in bed, we would have complained and asked to switch rooms, but at nearly midnight, it wasn't worth the aggravation.

So, great hotel and food. Perhaps the rooms near the elevators need some work.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I've stayed there several times and thought I'd write a review. It is clearly the best hotel in the N Virginia area (although never stayed at RC in Pentagon City). The staff is great, the rooms are comfortable, and even the adjoining rooms and rooms by the elevator are quiet (both personal pet peeves normally). The only reason I didn't give 5 stars is because of (i) numerous minor but annoying maintenance quirks, such as repeatedly needing to have maintenance calibrate thermostats so heating and A/C will come on (otherwise it won't come on at all); burned out light bulbs; 2 defective clock radios that engineering had to replace; and (ii) no hotel restaurant other than the wine bar, which doesn't have too many normal-sized restaurant tables, and always seems to be fully of very loud people. Not conducive to a quiet meal at all but the food is decent and they do have a full menu (not just a bar menu). It is also too small to be the only restaurant in a hotel of this size. But the hotel connects to the Tyson's Galleria and there are plenty of restaurants in there, but not as convenient as a hotel restaurant. Also, if you like your hotel bill emailed to you, it usually takes a couple of requests and 2 or 3 days, but this may be a Marriott systems issue since it seems common to all Marriotts. (Other hotels email on day of checkout.)

Room Tip: Every room I've had is good. No complaints in that department.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

After several stays here I thought it was time to write a review. The General Manager, Mark Sherwin has put this hotel in the "Best of Class" in the Washington area over the years he has managed this property. From the time you pull up to check in, the staff warmly great you and make the transition to the Check in smooth and painless. After a few stays they have your name memorized .
Check-in is professional and Mark will often be in the lobby greeting his frequent guest. The rooms are well appointed as you would expect. Housekeeping is exceptional with Towels and bedding looking brand new. The Executive lounge is staffed by people who really enjoy their jobs. A special notice of one of their staff was Kylie Fitzgibbons who offered to take our picture when we wee going out and then emailed them to us !
Valet was on time and well done as was room service. They have never let me down on the wake up call either. As always it is the little things in life on the road and this hotel as it perfected.
All in all this hotel is the one place I stay when there can be no mistakes for a meeting or special occasion.
-Carter Pate

Room Tip: Not a bad room in the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

A few years ago, my family and I decided to take a mini-vacation to DC. My uncle - a world traveler - suggested this hotel, as it was close to DC and held great amenities.

That was back in 2006, and my family returns here at least twice a year to mark special occasions. This is the Ritz-Carlton, so you get nothing but the best. There are workers here from our first visit that remember and greet us like family when we return. The consistency in workers is an indicator that this company knows what's good for them.

From what I understand, this isn't one of those 'over the top' Ritz-Carltons where the landscape is out of a fairytale, but trust me - the service you would expect is on-queue.

Since we've been coming here over a period of time, we have seen the hotel undergo many transformations. When we first went here, the decor was classic - lots of marble, watercolor paintings, and dark wood. Over the years, they have tried to update the decor to something more contemporary. Much of the hotel is still old-world, however, so it holds a combination of the two. The mish-mosh of old and new makes for a weird effect, even if the new decor is nice. Art - deco just isn't my thing.

If you're into shopping, this is a great vacation spot. The hotel is, quite literally, located in the Tyson's Galleria mall, and just a short walk away from Tyson's corner. It's quite nice to browse the shops without even leaving the grounds. We usually come here around the holidays to get all of our Christmas shopping done - and we're from New Jersey!

In addition, since this is a business hotel, the rates go down on the weekends. The hotel offers these great bed-and-breakfast packages that include a free breakfast and free valet parking. There are other weekend packages available, too, and include coupons to the mall or a discount on a spa treatment. If you wanted to do a weekend trip to DC in style, these options are fantastic.

We have since joined the Ritz-Carlton rewards club, and every time we visit there they always greet us with complimentary wine and goodies in our room.

Recently, we visted in April for the Cherry Blossom Festival in DC. As always, the service was impeccable. Check-in time is held with free cupcakes, fruit, and beverages. The hotel was buzzing with business meetings and personal parties.

One night, we tried the EnTYse lounge for tapas and drinks - the hummus, pomme frites, and fried calamari were all delicious. The breakfast buffet, while pricey, offers everything you could ask for - omlettes, breakfast meat, lox and cream cheese, anything. Although, if you get the weekend package, remember breakfast will be complimentary.

The room, while small, was comfortable. The decor is classic without looking tired, and the bathrooms are just beautiful.

I've never used the spa, but the pool area is gorgeous - small, but gorgeous. There is rarely anyone using the facility anyway. Take advantage of the sauna, steam room, hot tub, cold towels, and cucumbers for your tired eyes. The spa showers are the nicest public showers you will ever set foot into.

All in all, I am in love with this hotel - whenever I'm in the DC area, I will choose to stay only here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Burke, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

...the Ritz is always the ritz.. but when you walk in your expectation is different, higher and you should be pampered to remember!
this visit was a short one, but to remember... lobby lounge was open so we went for a drink, it was my wife birthday, and i decided to get a drink before heading to Le Palm restaurant.
overpriced, tip already included and service non existent.
I dont think was our age group or the way we were dressed, but i did not feel comfortable since we sat in the wonderful chairs.. i almost didnt want to leave...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Tysons Corner? Share your experiences!