“Great weekend getaway” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Tysons Corner
small town VA
“Great weekend getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

We got a AAA rate which brought the price down considerably. This was our anniversary. We left the kids at home and enjoyed a weekend free. They upgraded us for free to a larger room, even though we would have been fine with the regular room. It was a nice gesture. The staff was very friendly.

The property has some age but it doesn't look like it's from the 50's or something. It's still a nice hotel with nice appointments. They could stand to do some maintenance. the outside door let a lot of light through at the threshold. The stairs going to the loft we soft and very noisy. Even the loft made a lot of noise while walking on it.

My big complaint is that the pool closed at 9pm because of the law that they must have a lifeguard on duty. It's not management's fault, but bothersome nonetheless. We never got in the hot tub because we didn't want to do that in 85 degree heat during the day.

Breakfast was great. Friendly attendant. Kept well stocked. Scrambled eggs, sausage biscuits, potatoes, oatmeal, mini burritos, some muffins, bagels and toast. There was a little fruit, some yogurt, and milk, OJ, and cranberry juice. It was more than adequate.

convenient location. It was close yet quiet. It was not full when we were there for Fri and Sat nites.

Room was cleaned well.

Overall, a good experience. Our rate was $70+ a night. I wasn't paying Ritz Carlton prices. It was a good value for what we wanted. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: ask for a free upgrade. If they are not full, you might get lucky
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
GMRITysons, General Manager at Residence Inn Tysons Corner, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
WesM64 - Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I greatly appreciate your feedback and we will make sure to address the concerns that you noted. I will be sharing your comments with my staff. Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments, hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Vail, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

This location was selected because I prefer Marriott properties and because it was a few blocks from where I needed to meet. I was delighted to learn that I was placed at the back of the property, and there was a "back way" path that shortened my walk dramatically. (Only disadvantage--it could get muddy when it rained. I quickly learned slight alternatives to avoid having to clean my shoes every day.)

I only used the provided meals a couple times but the staff was friendly and the food was sufficient and typical of Residence Inns both times.

I chose an upstairs room to avoid hearing footsteps on my ceiling. This meant a daily climb of a flight of stairs--no problem, but the stairs were peeling paint and looking old. They could use some updating or remedial care.

The pool was not yet open so I can't rate that. I made a number of requests of the staff and they were always good about fulfilling them. The only times I was frustrated was when they were very busy with other guests. One time I gave up on waiting to talk to them and decided to come back later.

One odd thing--on the last day I requested late checkout, and apparently that was not well communicated since I had not one but two different housekeepers come to my room before I was checked out.

Housekeeping was basic and I started to wonder why I was tipping them, since the towels were never in the same place from one day to the next, and I don't think they even vacuumed on a couple of the days. I did enjoy having the kitchen area and several days ate in rather than going out. However, there are many good eating options nearby including I-Thai that I recommend. There is also a Walmart with a grocery store just about two blocks away that I bought food from several times.

The area is pleasant--I did a lot of walking and found nearby parks, trails, and a historic site. The area seems safe and fairly upscale, and I enjoyed just walking down streets and seeing spring in bloom.

I would come here again but I would pay attention to the housekeeping and give feedback if it was not to my satisfaction.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear are a little quieter and darker if you like to sleep later.
Green Features: The hotel provided a placard about reusing towels but several times they replaced my towels anyway. They did provide a separate recycling container in the kitchen but I wish there was also one in the bathroom. It was a bit inconvenient to bring recyclable items out there.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
GMRITysons, General Manager at Residence Inn Tysons Corner, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Bradley_T9L - Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I appreciate your honest feedback regarding your housekeeping services. I will be sure to share these with the team and make sure we there is a concerted effort to improve these services. I greatly appreciate your details on your stay and we hope to see you again in the future.
McKeesport, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

I chose residence inn in Tyson's corner because having a kitchen was important to me due to gluten sensitivity. I LOVED that it wasn't a huge high rise hotel. The two story bungalow type layout made for a much quieter environment in general. It was rare to hear a door shut or someone talk despite he hotel being rather booked. Also, parking was a non issue and, again due to the two story layout, it was easy to find a space by our room. The room itself was very very clean, spacious and comfortable. I appreciated that there was a double wide clothes closet near the sleeping area but also a coat closet right by the door which was perfect to store our coats, luggage and shoes. The shower always had ample hot water and nice water pressure which is always nice with longer hair and tends to be an issue in hotels. The kitchen was so very well equipped! You name it, we had it! A full fridge, stove, garbage disposal, pots, pans, utensils, etc, a full size coffee maker (used cone filters), coffee, tea, sugar, sweetener, salt, pepper, and even popcorn were included as well. The bed was also very comfortable as well as the pillows! (I wish I could have taken the pillows home actually!) Additionally, anything I asked for (extra pillows, blankets, towels, etc) we recieved right away.

The staff couldn't have been nicer or more helpful and friendly. The grounds were clean. The pool area looked nice but it wasn't open because it is outside. The gym was adequate and not busy, and the morning breakfast smelled delicious (I prepare my own gf foods so I didn't eat anything). They also have coffee and tea in the lobby all day.

Honestly I cannot say enough about HOW MUCH I enjoyed our stay or the hotel or employees! It was like being at home. Just simply cozy!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
dazeekr - Thank you for your patronage and review of your stay. I greatly appreciate the time you took to wrote this review and the specific details. I will happily share your review with the entire team. Thank again for such a positive review and we hope to see you again in the future.
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

Fantastic place to stay. In town for business but ended up in fun.

Booked the room from Florida online, and hope for the best, they did not disappoint. The first room was a bit small so I was relocated to an even nicer exec suite. I loved the space, and the homely feeling of the unit.

Residence Inn is the perfect name for this place, it's very comfortable, with a great staff, and a friendly housekeeping team.

I give this hotel 5stars.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
latrisha b - Thank you for such a kind review of your stay with us. I am pleased to hear that your trip was such a success. I am happy to share your comments with the front desk and housekeeping teams and I am sure they will be happy to hear how happy their service made you.
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

This was one of the more well-appointed Residence Inns we've stayed in. The furnishings were new, rooms were clean and well-decorated, and the bed was comfy. Breakfast was good and the location is great...and will be even better when the new metro is open. Having the Walmart (for grocery items or forgotten toiletries) and some good, quick food options nearby made the hotel even more convenient. The staff was consistently friendly and always started from a place of helpfulness; they also helped with some unexpected faxing and copying. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
US2EU - Thank you for you review of your stay at the Residence Inn Tysons Corner. We greatly appreciate your feedback on your experiences with us. I will be sure to share your comments with the front office staff and the breakfast staff. Looking forward to your next stay with us.
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

Please allow me to state that I have many years of experience as a Residence Inn guest - most recently 6 months in one location, 3 months in two additional locations - so I have a qualified basis for making these observations.

This was one of my WORST hotel experiences ever - this hotel should very definitely not be called a Residence Inn. I have a list:

- ICE: There is an ice maker in the full-sized fridge - it does not make ice. It is not attached. The only way to obtain ice is to walk/drive to the main building and the clerk will give you ice in a laundry bag.
- LIVING SPACE: One tiny (love seat-sized) sofa - no cushy chair - had to move chairs from undersized breakfast table to have a conversation together.
- HEAT: There is no way to adjust the heating so that it flows from the vents on the main floor. It heats the second floor - too much.
- KITCHEN: The coffee maker did not work. There is no skillet/frying pan. The dishwasher did not clean glassware. Disposal did not work until we cleaned out beer bottle caps from previous guests.
- REQUESTS: No extra towels nor down pillows were supplied.
- BED: The beds are old and worn and uncomfortable, as are the pillows. No extra blanket in either room.
- WINDOWS: Roller shades can only be accessed by moving furniture. Barely function.
- BATHROOM: Sinks were clogged. Shower temperatures crazy.
- TV: Many channels offered were pixelated. Many other channels were not connected.
- CUSTOMER SERVICE: Want to say that the staff tried to fix things but, for the most part, they failed. Seemed unconcerned about urgency.
- CLEANLINESS - Overall ok but feel that the room could be cleaner.
- FOOD: Very limited choices at the breakfast buffet.
- PROPERTY - Difficult to find room (we observed other guests with this issue) and overall not well-kept. Missing light bulbs, not groomed.

The property is in an excellent location. But I was so sad for us - so many other options, and I picked this - just so disappointed and upset.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
GMRITysons, General Manager at Residence Inn Tysons Corner, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
shopgirlblonde – I am so very sorry that your stay was not what you have come to expect from Residence Inn. It is disappointing that we have failed you in so many areas. I greatly appreciate the amount of detail in your review and I will look into each of these concerns with my staff and we will take the necessary step to correcting these issues. It is with feedback such as yours that we will learn from our shortcomings, correct the errors and we will strive not to repeat them. Thank you again for your review.
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

This is my second time staying here for a trip to DC. I was very pleased with the service here, everyone is SO NICE!!! I absolutely love the two bedroom units, they are perfect. It is conveniently located for the metro, restaurants and shopping.

If I had one negative to add it would be to make sure you dont stay in a unit near the basketball courts. I was trying to nap one day, and you could hear the bouncing balls and noise from the court. So I would try to avoid buildings 12 and 2.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
theucfan - Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay, it was great to have you back with us. I will gladly share your comments with the entire team, I am sure they will be happy to hear this feedback. We hope to see you again soon on your next trip to the DC area!

Been to Residence Inn Tysons Corner? Share your experiences!