“Great Hotel, not so great breakfast buffet” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Rates from $89!
Ranked #1 of 15 hotels in Tysons Corner
Hanover, Pa
“Great Hotel, not so great breakfast buffet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

My family took a trip to the Tyson Corner shopping area for our girls so they could go to the American Girl store. We stayed at the Hilton McLean for one night in late March.
The Hilton McLean hotel itself was terrific, nice clean rooms, great indoor pool and the lobby was spectacular. The staff was nice, the location close to the 2 Malls was perfect and just a over-all great stay. The lobby itself was a great place to hang out, have a drink and enjoy a light fair if you want.

The Harth restaurant on site had a breakfast buffet for the guest that really was not up to standards for a Hilton hotel. The food was cold, the staff not organized, food prep was slow and just plain bad at all ends. For example, bowls of food on buffet were empty, long lines for a one toaster, had to wait for plates and when the only one server brings food out it gets cold fast because none of the food was on a warmer.

Would I recommend the hotel, yes but chooses a breakfast somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Brian K, General Manager at Hilton McLean Tysons Corner, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for the review! I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the newly renovated Hilton McLean! We are happy to be able to share the transformation with our guests. I would like to apologize for the challenges you experienced during your breakfast. I am going to follow up with this personally and make sure our breakfast is always up to the standards we uphold. Thank you again for the review!

432 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Greater Lansing
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Stayed here one night on business. Very impressed by the modern, redecorated lobby and business area, with the complimentary Macs and wi-fi which I made use of. The friendly front desk staff informed me of the hotel's complete renovation; the quality and care taken in renovating was apparent from the great styling and decor. The king room was well-designed, with numerous power outlets to charge my equipment and a great bathroom with glass-panel and marble shower. Noise was nonexistent, as the property was very quiet. Lobby bar service for a late evening snack was also prompt and friendly. With its convenient location, I would certainly choose this hotel again. One of the best Hiltons I have stayed at.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. It is such an honor to be named among the best Hiltons! I'm also happy to hear some feedback in regards to our guest room features. The guest rooms were designed with feedback from guests like yourself. The features were keeping in mind what a guest would want. Easily accesible outlets is one of them! Thank you for writing this generous review. I hope that we will have the opportunity to have you at the hotel again. Thank you!
Malvern, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This was my first stay at this hotel. My wife and I are frequent travelers to the DC area. This trip was for our semi annual ballroom dance competition. We stayed here for three nights and ate exclusively in the hotel.

The hotel has been recently remodeled and updated. It is very pleasing to the eye. The lobby is very nice and has many options for causal seating, along with many flat screen TVs. The bar area can get fairly crowded and was understaffed for the number of people in the bar on any given night, which caused some fairly long waits for service.

We had what Hilton calls an Executive King Room. Again, it is clear it has been recently remodeled and has a very modern flavor for decorations and amenities in the room. I am not sure about all rooms, but the room we had did not have a bathtub, only an oversize shower. the lighting in the bathroom was very good. The TV in the room was not functioning properly and I overheard other guests complaining about the same issue in their rooms. The sound was cutting out sporadically. My wife liked the comfort of the bed, I thought it was a bit uncomfortable, but that is a personal preference. The HVAC worked as designed and kept the room at the desired temp. Overall I thought the room was undersized for an Executive King room as compared to other hotels with the same type of room designation.

The food overall was horrible. It was always cold and not prepared well. Even in the bar area the food was bad. In addition, it is very expensive. My wife and I ordered room service breakfast one morning and the bill was $91.00 before tip. I would advise anyone to go out for food at all times.

The staff was friendly, but maid service did not show up to our room until 4:00 pm. Again, I think the hotel is generally understaffed in all areas of service.

There are better places to stay in the area that give you a better value for your money. I would recommend to the people responsible for arranging the dance competition to not use this hotel again. Last but not least, and only specific to the dancers who competed, the dance floor was improperly installed and did not meet the standards of the competitors.

The hotel shows well, but does not deliver on its services.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review in regards to the program you stayed with us for. I am happy that you enjoyed the newly renovated property. We have been very excited to share it with our guests. In regards to the food, I take all of our guest comments very seriously and I will personally follow up with the issues you have brought to light. We seem to have fallen short on the standards that we strive to uphold. I apologize that the food was cold, that is something that should never happen and again, I will follow up with this personally. In addition, I am so sorry that the dance floor was not properly installed, again, I will make sure to address this. I do hope that we have another opportunity to host this program and give you an your group an experience that is up to the service standards and quality that we want to give each and every one of our guests. Thank you for taking the time.
Melville, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Hotel is very clean and has a welcoming lobby. Rooms are nicely decorated and contain all the amenities, i.e. Coffee, water, hairdryer...Close to restaurants and shops. Outdoor patio is very nice...great for a drink before dinner. Definitely would stay there again and again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the great review! I hope to see you back at the hotel in the future!
Herndon, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My wife and I vacated to the hotel for one night last weekend while our floors were being refinished and had a very pleasant stay. The room was a corner room, quite large and well appointed, very quiet at night, nice modern bathroom. This hotel has been a Hiton for a long time, within the past few years Hilton corporate headquarters moved right next door to the hotel, so they upgraded the facility and really play an A game. The staff is very courteous and helpful. Terrific lobby area.

Two negatives, first, on a Sunday morning they do not put coffee out in the lobby before the restaurant opens at 7; there is a coffee maker in the room but I rise early and try not to wake my wife who does not, so I was stuck coffeeless. Second, the Sunday morning breakfast in the restaurant was awful. Buffet only and a poor one at that, no omelette station or eggs to order and no ala carte breakfast menu available. The waiter told us that they have no one in the kitchen at Sunday breakfast, all the food is brought in from the outside. This is simply unacceptable for a hotel of this quality.

These are small items for an otherwise very good hotel.

Room Tip: Larger corner room is a worthwhile investment. This is a weekday business hotel and they seem o disc...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Brian K, General Manager at Hilton McLean Tysons Corner, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you so much for taking to provide us with your feedback. Thank you for choosing to stay with us while your floors were being refinished! First, I am so happy that you enjoyed our newly renovated hotel. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for your experience in the restaurant. I assure you that I will follow up with this personally. Although we do not have an a la carte menu on Sundays for breakfast, we do have a hot buffet with eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, etc. All of your feedback is taken into consideration to help us improve on our service. I greatly appreciate it!
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

The McLean Hilton has recently completely refurbished all its rooms and restaurant. The rooms are well appointed and have a sense of fashion uniquely placed. I especially liked the installed power brick that can power two usb divices simultaneously. The bathroom sports a unique mirror with built-in lighting. Smart lighting controls gives full room control from bedside switches.

A dissapointment for Hilton Honors members is the elimination of any special space or services usually allocated to members. Also a dissapointment is the lack of soundproofing around room doors. The facility has a great central first floor lounge area that can be seen from all floors, but this open architecture allows evening bar and social area noise to intrude into rooms.

Also a welcomed improvement was the elimination of steps from the rear entrance where a majority of the self-parking resides.

I found the wireless internet connectivity in my 9th floor room sporadic and problematic for any of my three wireless appliances. Business travelers should seek rooms closer to the first floor.

Room Tip: Higher floors seem to lack adequate internet connectivity, but lower floors place you close to the c...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed our newly renovated guest rooms during your stay. I apologize for the noise issues you experienced from our lobby bar. It is very important to myself and our staff that all of our guests have an excellent and relaxing stay with us and it seems that we have fallen short. I assure you, I will follow up with the noise and make sure that it remains under control in the evening hours. Also, I apologize for your internet connectivity issues. Again, I will follow up with this personally. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, it greatly helps us improve for your next visit.

Thank you again!
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I loved this hotel. The beds are comfy and the staff is warm and welcoming. They have a free shuttle service and will drive you all around the surrounding area which includes the mall and all of the offices nearby. I ordered room service one night and my salad was really good - far above typical room service food. They also have a lap pool in the basement so bring your swimsuit and get some exercise.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback! I really appreciate the comment in regards to our room service menu. I'm glad that the food was up to the standards that we always strive to give our guests. It is also great to hear you enjoyed our all weather pool! With the warmer weather just around the corner we will be putting our patio furnature out for our guests to enjoy some sunshine!

Been to Hilton McLean Tysons Corner? Share your experiences!