“Clean and efficient” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Tysons Corner
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Clean and efficient”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Fairly large rooms that are very clean. I am on a special rate and get free Internet. There is plentiful free parking. The service is great. I stayed at the Marriott a few days ago and the Hilton, while a bit farther, is much nicer. The service is excellent. If you wander into a corner of the lobby there is always someone to help. Rooms are very modern and did I say clean? I didn't find one hair on the beds or towels. Impressive!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Brian K, General Manager at Hilton McLean Tysons Corner, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you for the great review! I am especially proud of our staff for keeping guest rooms clean and tidy as well as the bar staff being attentive to our guests needs. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed our service and I hope to welcome you back to the property in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Pitts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I should preface this by saying my wife and I have high standards for hotels.
This hotel had a lot going for it, but there were a few things that were just off. First, this is an old hotel... Its very obvious, but what they did with the renovations makes you forget how old the hotel is in some areas. We are gold members with hilton, and we had hoped for a room on the executive floor. We weren't upgraded, and the woman at the front desk told me it was because they don't have an executive floor. However, online it gives you the option to book a room on the executive floor. The hotel was empty and I can't imagine there weren't rooms available... All of this seemed a little shady to me.
To make up for not having an executive floor they gave us vouchers for breakfast. The breakfast was very good. Much better than most. I was not impressed with Harth outside of breakfast though. The prices were outrageous for what you got. You are better off driving over to tysons center or the galleria and eating there.
The staff was small, but they were always there when we needed them. The pool and fitness rooms were both good.
Room was decorated nicely, and bed was comfortable.
Overall for the price we paid it was worth it, but if you are looking for a luxury hotel I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Brian K, General Manager at Hilton McLean Tysons Corner, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Adam9961, Thank you for your review. I appreciate our guests giving us feedback, especially feedback on areas that we can improve. I would like to apologize for the miscommunication at the front desk upon your check in. I will be sure to follow up with this myself. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet. I am especially a fan of the hot and cold bar - the variety appeals to many different tastes and preferences. Additionally, I am pleased to hear that the staff was there to help. Thank you for staying with us, I hope to welcome you back soon.
Fox Chapel, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Our family stays here at least once a year. I rent two rooms each night. This stay, over Thanksgiving weekend 2012, was for four days. The hotel's renovation that took over two years is at last finished. We were underwhelmed.

What really annoys us about the hotel are the little things. (i) $ 12.50 a night for WiFi unless you are in the Hilton HHonors program at the Gold or Diamond levels or your employer has cut a corporate deal. (ii) If you are in HHilton at the Gold or Diamond levels breakfast at the restaurant is complementary, other wise it is expensive, $ 22.00 for a mediocre buffet that never changes; to make matters worse on Saturday and Sunday it is the only option since they will not do a la carte on those days and their is no other restaurant nearby [the hotel is locate in a office park]. (iii) Newspapers are very limited you can't even buy The NY Times or Financial Times and, due to location, it is not practical to buy them outside the hotel; in fairness the hotel gives away USA Today, The Wall St. Journal, and (if you are up early and luckier then we were) The Washington Post except on Sunday; on Sunday no papers are available for free or for money. (iv) The bathrooms are so small that they do not have tubs, only a shower one sink, and insufficient rack space to hang up towels and washcloths for two. (v) The room closets are tiny. (vi) No hot tub in the pool area. (vii) The tables in the bar area are lit from below, the lighting is harsh and not convivial to talking or looking at a lap top screen; my wife and I left after one drink. (viii) While the bar is supposed to be open to midnight every night, don't count on it - - I've come back to the hotel before 10:00 PM and found it closed.

Location: isolated in an office park in near Tysons' Corner shopping which is on the other side of Route 123 which means you will need to cross a serious construction zone (subway line and station, new interchange and highway system). The construction has been going on for years and I expect it has years to go. No restaurants, coffee shops, or newspaper stores within about a mile.

Positives: room rates are not expensive (but watch out for WiFi and breakfasts if you don't find an internet "deal" or your are not either Gold or Diamond in HHonor), clean, near Tysons Corner, generally the staff is friendly and accommodating.

The hotel's target market seems to be road warriors coming in to work in the office park who are either at the Gold or Diamond level in HHonors, or who's employers have cut a deal on the incidentals. [If you are a couple, the incidentals of WiFi and breakfast add $ 56.50 a night before tax! And, I didn't even get The Washington Post, nor was I able to even buy another serious paper!]

Side note for those that dislike waste: Outside the hotel there is a large area with an open gas flame for decoration (it is infront of the restaurant). It has no function this time of year, their is no access to the patio it abuts. Other examples of energy waste are the in room refrigerators and the room that houses each floor's ice and vending machines. The in room refrigerators might be 4" deep inside, if you take out the shelf you can get a two quart container in it. The in room refrigerators are completely enclosed in a cabinet, when you open the door to the cabinate the space around the refrigerator is warm to hot because there is no ventilation for the refrigerators. The rooms that house the ice and vending machines are similarly constructed. The heat generated by these machines these is dumped into the closed room they are in and the room gets quite warm. One can only imagine how short will be the life of these machines with the negative feed back loop. [I. e., the machines generate heat to cool the contents, the heat is dumped into the space the machines are in, which causes them to work harder to keep things inside cool, which generates still more heat, and so on!]

Room Tip: I've stayed in quite a few generic rooms here, usually one king bed, sometimes two twins. The a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hunt Valley, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Spent one night here and was thoroughly impressed. The hotel was very empty on a Sunday evening. Check in was excellent and handled with speed and efficiency. The lobby is beautiful and calming. We were on the second floor and our room was super clean and neat. Everything updated and working well. No view to speak of, but we weren't there for that.

Unfortunately, the restaurant on-site, Hearth, was closed but we were offered food at the bar. They have comfy seating all around and we found a private spot. The bar menu was limited, but everything we had was delicious and our server was lovely.

Check out is a cinch and our stay included a complimentary breakfast that was incredible. Very nice and fresh breakfast buffet - many choices.

I would most definitely stay here again when I am in the area. Well done!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your generous review! I enjoy hearing our guests opinions on the new renovation. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed our lobby and harth bar. I especially like this area because it is so versatile and open. Also, Chef Tom's jalepeno hummus at the bar is a great snack to enjoy!
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Booked DC fall package (via Hotels.com) for 9 & 10th November which included 'free' high-speed internet, 'free' full breakfast etc for three people. On booking we thought we had got good value but the daily grind and battle with reception staff soon changed this.

On the first night we had a battle to get the complimentary internet in the room. Had to make several calls to reception and two visits back down to reception and heated discussions (mostly in front of other guests) to get complimentary access. Showing what was included in the package we had booked via my email didn't seem enough proof. Emphasis was on us demonstrating what was included etc etc in the more expensive rate we had selected.

Daily argument with reception staff continued the next day, and day after, for the full breakfast voucher. On finally agreeing that we were 'entitled' to breakfast they tried to give us the lesser continental breakfast which was then changed to ‘we’ll let you have’ two full breakfasts and one continental breakfast for our party of three - can you believe that. We then had similar embarrassing battles when actually reaching the restaurant who still wanted us to pay on two days running!

Communication was not helped by the number of reception staff who seemed to struggle to grasp what I was saying as their first language didn't appear to be English. Despite much talk about how they'll clarify so doesn't happen again the same package is available for this weekend with likely same aggro...

Had intended to stay for a third night but opted for a different hotel in the area ( a number of 4/5 star hotels in the area). Where we had no such problems and got a little more than expected probably due to knowing of our petty experience at the Hilton Tyson's.

The rooms were spotless. Two double beds and a useful full sofa, computer desk etc. Modern bathroom with full-size bath and brand-new fittings etc etc. Excellent selection of tv channels on HD tv. When we finally got the internet in the room it was fast and uninterrupted. Free parking in spacious carpark. Ironically it was a lovely spread at breakfast. Hotel is well-equipped with pool and gym. Strange layout here and there but generally the noise levels were fine.

Hotel is located about 10 miles from downtown DC and took about 15 mins drive. Not a lot in the area other than some shopping malls. Shuttle from hotel to nearest metro station into DC.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. First, I am so glad you enjoyed our newly renovated guest rooms! I am so sorry for the challenges you experienced during your stay. Here at Hilton McLean we strive to give our guests the most comfortable and enjoyable experience possible and it seems that we have fallen short on that goal. I will be sure to follow up with these issues personally in regards to this package and details. Thank you.
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

Great hotel as for decorations, location and excellent - clean rooms. However the room service is horrible every night they forgot something from my order and also the front desk rarely smiles and are quick to refer to another department if you need something shipped or a local car service. So the room service staff needs work on order taking and the front desk needs more work as well. Other than that great property!

Stayed November 2012
Thank you for your unbiased feedback. I would like to apologize with the challenges you experienced withroom service and front desk staff. I will personally follow up with these issues. We hope to welcome you back to improve on your next stay.
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This hotel was really pretty solid. The recent renovation was certainly a plus and given that I'm a gold member, the breakfast was really a huge step up from the typical hotel fare, and the restaurant setting was a really neat space. The room itself was fine, typical Hilton standard, but the overall design of the hotel is so very 70s, not that it really takes away anything from the experience. The cost was incredible, less than $80/night for Labor Day weekend. The location is okay, it is in the middle of a business complex and right by a huge mall, but its only maybe a 20 minute drive (without traffic) into the heart of DC and only 7 minutes or so to a Metro stop that has free parking on weekends and holidays, which is really nice because parking in DC can be a major pain. Certainly would recommend!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I'm happy to hear you stayed with us on Labor Day weekend. We are very lucky to be in a great location close to major highways, great shopping and dining. Our parking facility in the back of the building is free all year round with over 600 spaces for our guests. We hope to see you in the future at the hotel!

Been to Hilton McLean Tysons Corner? Share your experiences!