“Nice property” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Tysons Corner
Michigan
“Nice property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

We checked in during a power outage and the hotel was prepared with glow sticks and flash lights. High marks for being prepared. Most of the staff here was out standing and the restaurant was truly a nice surprise. Rooms were very nicely done although there was no hot water one morning. Property feels like an Embassy suites the way it's designed. A bit modern for our taste but that's a minor niggle.
Bed was nice and comfy with a flat panel TV.
The one complaint I had was the shuttle service to the mall on our stay was un-reliable. The Ritz Van hits the strops about 4X as often as the Hilton. After waiting 30 minutes past a scheduled pick up at the designated point we called the hotel only to hear the driver had just been there...I had to explain we had been waiting 30 minutes and no one had been to this stop. They sent a driver to pick us up and he didn't speak the whole way.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Hilton McLean Tysons Corner, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
I am truely happy to hear that during the power outage at the hotel that you felt comfortable and taken care of. We are very sorry for any inconveniences that the power outage caused. Secondly, I apologize for the shuttle service challenges, and I will make sure to follow up with the shuttle drivers to ensure every stop is accounted for during their routes.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

We recently stayed at the Hilton McLean Tysons Corner for a night. After reading the great reviews on Trip Advisor and getting a good deal, we were excited about our stay. We were able to easily find the hotel. The lobby, lounge and bar area were very nice looking. We arrived around 2:00 and were quickly checked in by a friendly man.

We were assigned a room on the seventh floor. The room was very nice and modern. We had two double beds that were comfy and they had nice linens. The room was spacious. We enjoyed the large flat screen TV. The bathroom was large and bright. There were bathrobes in the closet for our use. I enjoyed the different settings on the shower head. The room had a refridgerator. There was a long couch by the large window. The anemities were very nice. There was a complimentary shuttle to the local mall. The driver was friendly. The pool and fitness area looked nice. Check out was fast and efficient.

There were a few reasons why I did not give this hotel five stars. There was a walnut on the floor by the bed and a used shampoo container in the shower. We couldn't find the ice machine on our floor even though there were signs fot the machine. We were told that the ice machines were only on the first and sixth floors. We asked housekeeping for an extra shampoo and were told they were not allowed to give anything out unless we called the front desk and asked for it. We did not call the front desk. Finally, we went to the mall and brought back soup for our dinner. When we returned there was an employee greeting guests. We asked if there was a microwave we could heat the soup up in. He said yes and to bring it down when we were ready. We brought it back down about an hour and a half later and the man was not at the front door. We asked the front desk and were quickly and rudely told there was no microwave and they don't know why he would say that. The women then walked away. We had cold soup for dinner!

Overall, we were happy with our stay at this hotel. If we are in the area again we would stay here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. First, I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed Hilton McLean's newly renovated guest rooms as well as our lobby and lounge areas. I am very sorry to hear that the room however had some issues in cleanliness, and I will make sure to follow up with that. Also, I am terribly sorry about the miscommunication with the microwave and I understand your frustration. I hope to welcome you back to the property in the near future in order to make your next visit even more enjoyable than the last.
Northern Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I must start by saying I am thoroughly impressed with the quality of the renovations done on this hotel's guest rooms. The weekend of June 30/July 1 was a trying one for all of us in the DC metro area with wide scale power outages. As our power was out at home, for the second night during a heat wave, we decided to stay at the Hilton McLean.

The room was spotless, smelled clean and fresh, had quiet, non-obtrusive HVAC (important!) and a top-notch bathroom renovation. The check-in at the desk could have been more cordial, but quite frankly they were absolutely overwhelmed with the chaos of the situation, and I have some understanding in this regard. They were obviously working on a very challenging weekend. Doormen are great and have a "come-in-and-cool-off-and-make-yourself-at-home" vibe, which was quite welcoming on these hot days.

The breakfast was absolutely exceptional at the Harth restaurant. Everything tasted homemade there (well except Frosted Flakes, but my 9 yr old daughter appreciated that they had those too). Warm muffins and strawberry preserves = A+. They treat their HHonors Gold/Diamond members right with a very tasty breakfast buffet that really makes it worth your stay, even if you can't get an upgrade.

Pool and fitness areas are nice and well-maintained. I will definitely recommend this hotel to my out-of-town guests, as I can't see myself staying here often simply because I only live a few miles down the road! Perhaps for a special occasion.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front of the hotel (facing Jones Branch) get a lot of afternoon sun. Choose that if yo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
I am so happy to hear that Hilton McLean was able to offer you an enjoyable stay during an uncomfortable time with the local power outages. I greatly value all of your wonderful feedback and hope to welcome you back to the property in the future!
Alexandria VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I was staying for a ballroom dance competition weekend and was upgraded to a high floor with extra amenities (mini-refrigerator and bathrobes). Comfortable bed. Switches on night stand allow you to turn off all lights in the room without getting out of bed. Quirks--as usual, my pet peeve are features that apparently no one ever actually used in a test setting before installing them. For example, towel racks in the tub/shower that are so close to the ledge or tubthat you can't hang a bath towel without them dragging on the ledge or in the tub so they won't dry. I'm not sure if the small bar in front of the sink console was meant to be a towel rack for hand towels, but it's set too close to the front to get the towels over without scraping your knuckles. Trash can in bathroom has a hard plastic liner; very unsanitary, since trash is put directly in this and I doubt it's washed every day. Square plastic ice "bucket" is affixed to a tray, so you have to remove the hard plastic liner to get ice. All of these items look "nice" but are very impractical! One of the bedside lamps wasn't working (both bulbs burned out) when I arrived. Why doesn't housekeeping ever notice this; this is a frequent complaint. There was no place in the hotel to get a quick bite without paying high prices for snack foods in the mini-mart. There were about 300 people in our event, and there was no bar setup for the dinner. I've never been at a hotel function where there wasn't a bar setup to make a fortune on $8 glasses of cheap wine and $10 mixed drinks. On the plus side, the DC area was hit with a big storm Friday night and the hotel ran as normal on generator power without loss of lights or AC. Nice fitness room and pool (but pool doesn't open until 9 am on weekends). Atrium design means that all noise from lobby goes straight up, and as all room doors face atrium, this is a probably, especially with a toddler in the lobby SHRIEKING for over an hour starting at 4:30 am Sat. morning. I called the front desk to complain after enduring this for a half hour, but it continued for quite a while. Apparently, some people without power had taken refuge in the lobby. Nice lobby bar with comfortable seating and interesting appetizer menu ($11 flatbread pizza). If you were in the area on business, this would probably be a good choice, but I wouldn't go out of my way. However, it was better than the nearby Sheraton Premiere (which I've reviewed recently). I got an advance purchase/nonrefundable rate of $74 plus tax.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

...set the tone for the rest of our two, back-to-back weekend stays. Rohitha Basnayake went out of his way to make us feel feel welcome both times, and we will definitely return as often as possible!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Hilton McLean Tysons Corner, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
We always love to hear about our staff, and we are so glad Rohitha made you feel so welcome! We hope to see you soon!
Louisville, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

The renovation on this hotel's interior has transformed it into a modern place to stay in Tysons Corner. The rooms are nicely appointed with flat screen TV, and bedside controls for several lighting scenes. The bar is the centerpiece as you enter ths hotel and has a nice lounge feeling in a wide open space.

I did have to change rooms when I got there as there seemed to be some problem with the HVAC in my room (over 85 degrees inside) but the staff was able to provide another room in short order.

Room Tip: The showers on the 5th floor were nicer than those on the 9th floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Hilton McLean Tysons Corner, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Dear Robinky,

I greatly appreciate your honest feedback. I apologize for the HVAC problem in your first room, and I am glad to hear you were quickly relocated to a more comfortable room. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Newark, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Had a great time in the DC area, the hotel stay was fantastic

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
I am glad you enjoyed your stay!

Been to Hilton McLean Tysons Corner? Share your experiences!