“My CourtYard Dream!!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Bronx, New York
“My CourtYard Dream!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

My first stay in Virginia, and thanks to Courtyard Tysons Corner it wont be my last. After driving in from NYC it was very nice to pull in FREE indoor or outdoor parking. Walk in to be greeted by very friendly staff and to be asked if I wanted a lower or higher floor (of course I took 11flr,the highest..lol). I checked in to a very clean room with a view over looking an entire shopping plaza across the main intersection, seeing all of my availabilities. Then I went straight to the second floor to the small but very comfortable Starbucks cafe. (Nothing like a good cup of joe!!) My first morning to choose from a Breakfast Buffet at hotel dinning room or a made to order breakfast from Starbucks Cafe. After a few mornings I had done both, which are satisfying. The Staff very accommodating making my four day stay a Courtyard Dream. I now have extended family here in Virginia, and I will be back at Courtyard Tysons Corner.

Room Tip: Higher floors--Better views
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

this Courtyard is in an optimal location for shopping at Tyson's Corner and Tyson's Galleria, and is actually in walking distance (both are about 10 minutes). If walking is not possible, they also have a shuttle that will drop you off at both locations. Parking is free and underground, and the service was outstanding.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor for a view of the McLean skyline - mornings are gorgeous.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Have stayed here before in the last year and enjoy the hotel along with the location, without feeling the rush of the area. Rooms are clean and love the low key life while staying at Courtyard Marriott Tyson's. Staff has always been very accommodating. I recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Not a great experience
Rooms are not clean
Bad Ambiance
Seems a very old property - renovated and repaired all over the place
Hardly any staff to service
NO RESTAURANTS - can you believe that. The nearby Crowne Plaza delivers dinner to Courtyard....
Body Lotions not filled - seems TINY bottles are filled over and over for years...
Would not recommend

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
CourtyardTysons, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tysons Corner Fairfax, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Amlu V,

I apologize you were disappointed in our hotel. I welcome the opportunity to speak with you more regarding the items you mention here in the review. In order to properly address your concerns I would like more detail regarding the comments listed. I am a little confused to the mention of no restaurants. We have 3 restaurants in the hotel and we also offer room service from our sister property the Crowne Plaza as an extra convenience for our guests. I do hope you contact me to provide more details. I would like the opportunity to better address the items you were not satisfied with during your time with us. I look forward to speaking with you. I can be reached at 703-790-0207.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

This is my second time staying here. Stayed in a king size room with husband and one yr old.
Pros :
They have a shuttle to zip you back and forth to the malls. The driver is the friendliest guy!
The breakfast buffet is really great. The restaurant staff was so above and beyond helpful each morning when I showed up each morning with my one yr old.
When I asked for a late checkout, they offered 3pm! Wow!
Indoor pool and gym.
Free, fast wifi

Cons:
Housekeeping was spotty for us. Baby naps in the afternoon so we need morning service and they turned out to be inflexible in this.
Hotel is expensive- location, location?
Rooms are not spacious, just average.
Pool is tiny.

• Stayed February 2013
CourtyardTysons, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tysons Corner Fairfax, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Julie W,

Thank you for posting a review about our hotel. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our service in most areas of the hotel. I do appreciate you sharing this information with me regarding the Housekeeping staff being inflexible and working around your schedule.

I want you to know that I am personally reviewing these comments with my housekeeping staff to ensure this does not repeat itself. The Executive Housekeeper works to inform and train the housekeeping team to avoid these service issues. I am sorry this occurred during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience so we can share with the team to avoid future errors. Our team is dedicated to make every guests stay excellent.

I would also like you to know we are currently converting the small pool into an expanded fitness center. It will be the best in the Tysons area. You also mentioned the stay was expensive and you are correct regarding location. We have the best location in Tysons which is walking (or a short shuttle drive) to both Tysons malls. We do however offer very competitive pricing compared to the other Tysons hotels for both weekend and weekday stays. We look forward to your next visit to Tysons.

Feel free to reach out to me directly. I can be reached at 703-790-0207. Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to give us great feedback regarding your stay.

Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

This hotel is just plain average, nothing more. Travelers, beware and be placed on notice: Having traveled extensively, our room was the smallest than we have encountered in the US, just slightly larger than the tiny European hotels we have slept in and smaller than our NYC Times Square hotel. I did speak with the manager in an attempt to upgrade, which we would have paid for, and she related there were no suites available; plus, all the rooms were the "same size". Interestingly, later we saw that the room schematic shows all the rooms that were on the opposite of the hall were larger. The manager seemed to be unaware of this in that she had to ask a co-worker about the room size, who responded, but didn't appear to know either. I received the same canned pat answer in person that is given to many people who post on this site.

What we really disliked was the room layout. The TV, albeit a flat screen, was directly next to the bed. PERPENDIULAR to the bed. We couldn't watch TV comfortably while in bed because it was next to us at a 90 degree angle and oour necks would hurt. We had to lay sideways on the bed to watch TV. Not the biggst inconvenience, but nevertheless an inconvenience not needed while staying at a hotel.

Another consideration if one works out in a gym: The gym is inadequate. There are NO weight machines and a few cardio. The only weight equipment was one rack of dumbells, which were missing the smaller weights. My wife who has been lifting for over 20 yrs, couldn't lift the lightest that was there. Also, there is no close outdoor jogging track. I noticed a posting from the manager here relating that a workout room is coming, but that was nearly 4 months ago...still not here. On the plus, there are work-out towels on-hand.

On the positive side, there is a coffee station in the lobby in the morning that was nice. The hotel is close to two malls, and the shuttle was dependable, we used it twice with only a 10 min wait. Also, the close Metro station opens later this year, the location will be perfect (location, NOT room size). We noticed a prior posting about a dining issue upon check in. This was no issue with us in that the check-in clerk advised us of the dining in the hotel. The mini refrigerator in the room was convenient and worked well for storing our drinks. Finally, the free-WiFi worked well.

We struggled about being generous with this 3-star rating and almost posted a 2-star, but didn't due to the amenities above - the manager seemed nice, she just didn't assist when given the opportunity. This is our second issue with a Marriott, the first being in one of our prior postings in New Mexico. The management from our experience just doesn't seem to get it. In this case, our group had approx 26 rooms, prepaid for by the group so we weren't trying to get a free stay and you would think they would want our repeat business. We were trying to get a reasonably sized room for nearly a week with the proper amenities, which we did NOT receive. Bottom line, this hotel has some positive attributes, but we would not recommend it.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
CourtyardTysons, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tysons Corner Fairfax, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear MaltaBound,

Thank you for taking the time to give this detailed review of the Courtyard Tysons Corner. I am sorry you did not feel like my answer regarding room size was informed or genuine. I did not intend for you to perceive I was overlooking what you were bringing to my attention regarding the size of our hotel rooms. I genuinely care about each guest concern and do all in my power to address all concerns. I’m unsure of the room schematic you are speaking of and believe you may be referring to the suites which were unfortunately not available during the week you were with us. I would have been happy to upgrade you to a suite if one had been available as I mentioned when we spoke that morning. The week your group was in Tysons Corner we were fully committed and the suites I mentioned were occupied for the week when we spoke of the room size concern. Our rooms are the typical size for Tysons Corner area but I do understand you have traveled extensively and have visited hotels with more spacious rooms. I do feel at blame for not digging deeper into your concerns that morning because the location of the TV was something I could have solved for you. The TV is not located next to the bed in all of our guest rooms. We do have configurations where the TV is located on the wall oppositve the foot of the bed. I am sorry I did not continue probing to discover the issue of the TV location. I have learned from your comments and will be sure the team here is equipped with this very important feedback to ensure guests are satisfied with their stay. I did not think you were trying to get a free stay and we very much appreciate your companies business as we have for many years. Each guest that stays with us is valued and we definitely want you to return. I welcome the opportunity to speak with you more regarding your stay.

As you mentioned we are expanding our fitness center and it will be the largest and most well equipped in the Tysons Corner area. Our guests are extremely excited about this project and we look forward to it opening soon. We are so pleased that you enjoyed the complimentary shuttle service, coffee, mini fridge and free Wi-Fi.

Thank you again for taking the time to share this review of the Tysons Corner Marriott.

Inwood, West Virginia, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

When visiting family in Vienna I always stay at this Courtyard. The price for the holiday was great, check in was easy and staff pleasant. The first room had been recently renovated and the furniture still had a strong smell of paint stain and they moved us to another room with no problem at all. The pool was quiet and clean and I felt badly for the attendant guard who had to work on the holiday but he was pleasant - never understood Va's need to have lifeguards anyway. The room was a typical Courtyard and was clean, ventilation/heat worked well, it was quiet, towels were large and soft. The best part of the stay was their response when we returned to the hotel at 4 with plans to leave due to incoming bad weather for the trip home. The young man at the desk showed concern and did not charge for the 2nd night even though it was well passed the check out time! Overall, the staff was wonderful and I was very grateful for their kindness.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Tysons Corner Fairfax? Share your experiences!