“Good location for Tyson's shopping” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Tysons Corner
GreenLeadersGold level
“Good location for Tyson's shopping”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

This is my second time staying here. Stayed in a king size room with husband and one yr old.
Pros :
They have a shuttle to zip you back and forth to the malls. The driver is the friendliest guy!
The breakfast buffet is really great. The restaurant staff was so above and beyond helpful each morning when I showed up each morning with my one yr old.
When I asked for a late checkout, they offered 3pm! Wow!
Indoor pool and gym.
Free, fast wifi

Cons:
Housekeeping was spotty for us. Baby naps in the afternoon so we need morning service and they turned out to be inflexible in this.
Hotel is expensive- location, location?
Rooms are not spacious, just average.
Pool is tiny.

• Stayed February 2013
CourtyardTysons, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tysons Corner Fairfax, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Julie W,

Thank you for posting a review about our hotel. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our service in most areas of the hotel. I do appreciate you sharing this information with me regarding the Housekeeping staff being inflexible and working around your schedule.

I want you to know that I am personally reviewing these comments with my housekeeping staff to ensure this does not repeat itself. The Executive Housekeeper works to inform and train the housekeeping team to avoid these service issues. I am sorry this occurred during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience so we can share with the team to avoid future errors. Our team is dedicated to make every guests stay excellent.

I would also like you to know we are currently converting the small pool into an expanded fitness center. It will be the best in the Tysons area. You also mentioned the stay was expensive and you are correct regarding location. We have the best location in Tysons which is walking (or a short shuttle drive) to both Tysons malls. We do however offer very competitive pricing compared to the other Tysons hotels for both weekend and weekday stays. We look forward to your next visit to Tysons.

Feel free to reach out to me directly. I can be reached at 703-790-0207. Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to give us great feedback regarding your stay.

Heather Hull

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

This hotel is just plain average, nothing more. Travelers, beware and be placed on notice: Having traveled extensively, our room was the smallest than we have encountered in the US, just slightly larger than the tiny European hotels we have slept in and smaller than our NYC Times Square hotel. I did speak with the manager in an attempt to upgrade, which we would have paid for, and she related there were no suites available; plus, all the rooms were the "same size". Interestingly, later we saw that the room schematic shows all the rooms that were on the opposite of the hall were larger. The manager seemed to be unaware of this in that she had to ask a co-worker about the room size, who responded, but didn't appear to know either. I received the same canned pat answer in person that is given to many people who post on this site.

What we really disliked was the room layout. The TV, albeit a flat screen, was directly next to the bed. PERPENDIULAR to the bed. We couldn't watch TV comfortably while in bed because it was next to us at a 90 degree angle and oour necks would hurt. We had to lay sideways on the bed to watch TV. Not the biggst inconvenience, but nevertheless an inconvenience not needed while staying at a hotel.

Another consideration if one works out in a gym: The gym is inadequate. There are NO weight machines and a few cardio. The only weight equipment was one rack of dumbells, which were missing the smaller weights. My wife who has been lifting for over 20 yrs, couldn't lift the lightest that was there. Also, there is no close outdoor jogging track. I noticed a posting from the manager here relating that a workout room is coming, but that was nearly 4 months ago...still not here. On the plus, there are work-out towels on-hand.

On the positive side, there is a coffee station in the lobby in the morning that was nice. The hotel is close to two malls, and the shuttle was dependable, we used it twice with only a 10 min wait. Also, the close Metro station opens later this year, the location will be perfect (location, NOT room size). We noticed a prior posting about a dining issue upon check in. This was no issue with us in that the check-in clerk advised us of the dining in the hotel. The mini refrigerator in the room was convenient and worked well for storing our drinks. Finally, the free-WiFi worked well.

We struggled about being generous with this 3-star rating and almost posted a 2-star, but didn't due to the amenities above - the manager seemed nice, she just didn't assist when given the opportunity. This is our second issue with a Marriott, the first being in one of our prior postings in New Mexico. The management from our experience just doesn't seem to get it. In this case, our group had approx 26 rooms, prepaid for by the group so we weren't trying to get a free stay and you would think they would want our repeat business. We were trying to get a reasonably sized room for nearly a week with the proper amenities, which we did NOT receive. Bottom line, this hotel has some positive attributes, but we would not recommend it.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
CourtyardTysons, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tysons Corner Fairfax, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear MaltaBound,

Thank you for taking the time to give this detailed review of the Courtyard Tysons Corner. I am sorry you did not feel like my answer regarding room size was informed or genuine. I did not intend for you to perceive I was overlooking what you were bringing to my attention regarding the size of our hotel rooms. I genuinely care about each guest concern and do all in my power to address all concerns. I’m unsure of the room schematic you are speaking of and believe you may be referring to the suites which were unfortunately not available during the week you were with us. I would have been happy to upgrade you to a suite if one had been available as I mentioned when we spoke that morning. The week your group was in Tysons Corner we were fully committed and the suites I mentioned were occupied for the week when we spoke of the room size concern. Our rooms are the typical size for Tysons Corner area but I do understand you have traveled extensively and have visited hotels with more spacious rooms. I do feel at blame for not digging deeper into your concerns that morning because the location of the TV was something I could have solved for you. The TV is not located next to the bed in all of our guest rooms. We do have configurations where the TV is located on the wall oppositve the foot of the bed. I am sorry I did not continue probing to discover the issue of the TV location. I have learned from your comments and will be sure the team here is equipped with this very important feedback to ensure guests are satisfied with their stay. I did not think you were trying to get a free stay and we very much appreciate your companies business as we have for many years. Each guest that stays with us is valued and we definitely want you to return. I welcome the opportunity to speak with you more regarding your stay.

As you mentioned we are expanding our fitness center and it will be the largest and most well equipped in the Tysons Corner area. Our guests are extremely excited about this project and we look forward to it opening soon. We are so pleased that you enjoyed the complimentary shuttle service, coffee, mini fridge and free Wi-Fi.

Thank you again for taking the time to share this review of the Tysons Corner Marriott.

Inwood, West Virginia, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

When visiting family in Vienna I always stay at this Courtyard. The price for the holiday was great, check in was easy and staff pleasant. The first room had been recently renovated and the furniture still had a strong smell of paint stain and they moved us to another room with no problem at all. The pool was quiet and clean and I felt badly for the attendant guard who had to work on the holiday but he was pleasant - never understood Va's need to have lifeguards anyway. The room was a typical Courtyard and was clean, ventilation/heat worked well, it was quiet, towels were large and soft. The best part of the stay was their response when we returned to the hotel at 4 with plans to leave due to incoming bad weather for the trip home. The young man at the desk showed concern and did not charge for the 2nd night even though it was well passed the check out time! Overall, the staff was wonderful and I was very grateful for their kindness.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Hotel is very close to the McLean malls. Free shuttle to nearby places. Rooms are average. Wash basin outside bathroom. A mini Starbucks inside the hotel. No decent restaurant inside the hotel. Very highly priced rooms. Very low value for money

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I had an all day trip in the National Mall and Museums. When I reached the hotel I was really tired. Ordered room service right way. They were quick. The bed was very good. Got into a very good nights sleep.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Baltimore, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend anniversary getaway. We enjoyed the escape package in a king suite on the 9th floor, and it was fabulous.

I chose this hotel based on Trip Advisor reviews and I was not disappointed. The hotel is well kept and the staff was friendly and very accommodating. We were allowed to check in early and check out late to maximize our experience. We took full advantage of the amenities including the fitness room, restaurants, room service and convenient shuttle to the mall.

All in all, I would recommend this Marriott Courtyard to others and I would stay at this location again. One bit of advice: avoid a room right next to the elevator! Although it was not horribly annoying, the constant rumble of the elevator was noticeable. The position of the bedroom we were in placed the bed on the same wall as the elevator. For a light sleeper, that may be a bit of an annoyance. However, if that was all I could find to complain about, then I guess this hotel rate five in my book.

• Stayed November 2012
CourtyardTysons, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tysons Corner Fairfax, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Hello,

I would like to express my sincere thanks for the great feedback related to your stay with us. I am pleased to hear that your anniversary weekend at our hotel was memorable. We certainly take great pride in providing a memorable experience to all our guests. Your feedback and remarks will be shared with our entire hotel staff.

Again, we appreciate your loyalty to our hotel and brand, and look forward to serving you once again in the near future. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact me directly.

Kind Regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We had a party of 4, 2 adults, 2 children for our 1 night stay here. We had come down to go to the American Girl Place store for a birthday party. The hotel is easy to find and convenient to many attractions, businesses, malls etc. Parking is just ok but we were able to find a spot each time in and out. They do offer a free shuttle service over to the mall which is nice. We preferred to take our car as the driving didn't bother me. The area is very congested so if you don't like to drive in that, use the shuttle.
The hotel was clean, the staff was very friendly and able to direct us to where we wanted to go. We had enough towels, we used the pool at night and were really surprised to see that they even have a lifeguard on duty. The beds were comfortable and we slept well. The rooms are not huge for 4 people but they were adequate. There were plenty of towels. They offer free wifi which we didn't need. They are in the process of switching from direct tv to cable which is a good thing as it was very difficult to find decent channels.
The only negative I can say is that I don't understand why they don't put exhaust fans in the bathroom. I've been in other marriotts that don't have this and it makes no sense. I would stay here again if I was ever in the area, however I don't see myself ever going back to the American Girl store, it was such a disappointment.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Tysons Corner Fairfax? Share your experiences!