“Great Location!” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Palm Beach, Florida
“Great Location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

This is one of the best areas around. Very close to everything; mall, Whole Foods, banks. There was some construction but it was still fairly easy access in and out and to the freeway. The weekend rate is great but increases 2.5 times during the week because it is a "business hotel" the staff says. Thus I checked out as it isn't that grand. The gym is great and the balcony doesn't have a good view but it is a perfect place to read or enjoy the breeze.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

This used to be my favorite place to stay in the DC area for business. This time however, I was shocked by how sloppy the housekeeping had become. Dirty dishes weren't picked up, a wastebasket was taken away (as in, I didn't have a wastebasket), there was mold on the shower curtain, and the towels were stained. We put our room service dishes outside our room - and they weren't picked up until the next day. This is probably a reason that we had ants in our bathroom. I told the front desk all of this and they did their best to promise me that my concerns would be noted to upper management.

Although the customer service was definitely up to Marriott's gold-star standard (other than another front desk employee who gave me directions to the airport - going the wrong way), the hotel has just let itself get run-down. The carpets in my room had numerous stains and the furniture was chipped. The exercise equipment in the fitness room was also rusted, and the room itself was messy. There was a wadded up paper cup on the treadmill and a dirty towel on another piece of equipment. I know this is the guests' fault, not the hotel's, but still, it didn't help with the overall shabby feeling.

Add to this that the Internet went down twice, and it's just not worth staying here again. If this had been a hotel in a lesser chain for $69 a night, it would have been fine, but this is a Marriott and I expected more.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
CourtyardTysons, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Tysons Corner Fairfax, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Dear keeksGeneva,

I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel and for taking the time to share your feedback with me. Our goal here at the Courtyard by Marriott Tysons Corner is to provide exceptional guest service and a clean, crisp property where everything works. I am so disappointed to hear of your experience. I am truly sorry that we let you down during your most recent stay. I would like you to know that I have addressed these issues mentioned in the review with all involved. I would like to assure you that your experience is not typical and we are making the necessary changes to guarantee it does not repeat itself.

I hope you will give us another chance to prove that we value you as our guest. I would be honored to handle your next stay if you are in the Tysons area in the future. Feel free to contact me anytime to discuss further.

Heather Hull
General Manager Courtyard Tysons Corner
Northborough, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I stayed here while on a business trip because it was close to the office where I was spending some time. Overall, the staff was very friendly. Check-in was easy and I was in my room in just a few minutes after arriving. I will say, it's confusing on how to enter the hotel if you're driving as there's no real sign for the entrance, you just have to figure it out based on the signage on the actual building.

For what you pay, I think the hotel met expectations. It's not exactly a 4* or 5* hotel, but it has all the necessary amenities that one needs.

The rooms were on the smaller side and both the bedroom and bathrooms could use some updating, but it wasn't so bad that it made the stay unenjoyable. The lighting in the bathroom was my biggest complaint, it was very dim and difficult to see when in the shower.

I also had issues with my TV switching to the weather channel randomly as I watched TV. I knew I wasn't accidentally hitting buttons on the remote, as I made sure the remote was on the (tiny) nightstand away from where I was laying.

The rooms were fairly clean, but I felt there was a lack of attention to detail. For example, one of the trash cans wasn't emptied one day and the ice bucket was left with a puddle of melted ice inside. Were these things a big deal? Nope. Did it ruin my day? Nope. It's things like these though that will continue to make it a 3* hotel and nothing more.

One nice thing is that there is a Flemmings Steakhouse attached. I suppose if you're looking for something more affordable, this could be a negative, but seeing as though most of the clientele that I saw were business folks, I think this is a plus to this hotel.

Would I stay here again? Maybe for work, but certainly not pleasure, as it's not really near anything to do for fun (besides the mall) and it's just an average hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Europe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Stayed for a few nights for training. The morning breakfast buffet was good, but the cafe at lunch was seriously understaffed. It took our group of 9, 45 minutes on average to get all of our meals. The guy behind the counter was really nice and accommodating, but he needed help.

• Stayed July 2012
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

The staff was very cordial and welcoming. The room was pristine. The breakfast was better than average with made to order omelets. The hotel has free parking and a shuttle that travels a 3- mile radius from hotel. It took us to the metro rail station. The shuttle driver advised us on how to get around in DC and the use of the metro. Our visit to DC sites was so easy and laid back! The hotel's inside pool is small--only 3 feet deep. Great for kids! The hotel gives you a choice of pillow type. Next time I'll choose feather, the form (I'm not sure what it was) was too hard.

Room Tip: Third floor has pool and exercise room. Now that's convenience!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Olen, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

I've only stayed here once to date, but no complaints - check in went very smooth, nice spatious room, good bed. A good breakfast buffet - plenty of choice and you pass a "bistro" area where you can easily have a coffee and early meeting before leaving the hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

My friends and I stayed at this hotel because we were in the area for a friend's wedding. Not being from the DC area, we had a rental car we had rented to have a way to and from the wedding activities. Little did we know, almost everything was in the Tyson's Corner area. The hotel shuttle took us any where we needed to go (within 3 miles) at any time. It was so convenient!
Also, being in town for a wedding, my friends and I were reunited with other friends who we haven't seen in years. We found out they were also staying at the Courtyard by Marriott Tyson's Corner. We wanted to share a room so it would be less cost to every one staying at the hotel. When we asked the staff working at the front desk if it would be possible to cancel one room and move into a room with 2 beds, they were more than happy to help us with that. They cancelled the other room and assisted us with moving rooms. They even gave us a room with a balcony so the smokers wouldn't have to continue to walk downstairs to have a cigarette.
The staff was always willing to provide us with information about the city, attractions, and directions to places we need to go. I was blown away by the staff's kindness and willingness to go above and beyond for us as guests. If I'm ever in the area again, I will definitely be staying at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Tysons Corner Fairfax? Share your experiences!