“Terribly Disappointing Stay” 2 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Oak Ridge
“Terribly Disappointing Stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I try to give hotels the benefit of the doubt. Usually something positive emerges in a bad stay that you can talk about. Alas, my recent stay at the Embassy Suites Tyson's Corner did not meet any of these criteria.

This hotel is poorly run, from top to bottom; from reservations to rooms to food service. Read my story for an entertaining tale and know that I do not recommend Embassy Suites Tysons Corner in any way for anybody.

Every hotel has a bad day and with the Embassy Suites Tyson's Corner, we had three of them. I wanted a short easy vacation with my family and believed the Embassy Suites Tyson's Corner would offer that opportunity. I was wrong. The entire reason I chose the hotel was because they told me they could get a specific channel on TV. Without going into a lot of detail, it was very important to see a show on this channel, due to a family member being featured on national TV. This show was the core of our vacation and the entire reason i chose to stay at the Embassy Suites Tyson's Corner. Three people I spoke to said they received this channel. They were all incorrect. After three calls to the reservations desk to confirm they had the ONE amenity I needed, they all said they received the specific channel – they don’t, although the reservations desk continued to tell me they did.

Of course, I made the reservations, dropped hundreds of dollars to stay, arrived, and found out they were wrong the entire time. I could easily say it was bait and switch, or that thy said it just to get my money. I think it is more accurate to say their reservations people are clueless and should not be trusted to find out critical information about their hotel. Their consistent wrong answers were simply second rate, bush league, customer service. And that is only the beginning. When told about the problem, the Manager of the hotel made sure to seize defeat from the hand of victory. Did they have a TV that could receive the certain channel I needed? Yes. Was it available? No – the game was on that night and the manager could not allow it to be used for anything else. This short-sighted tactical mindset is something that undermines customer service – we could have filled that bar with people simply due to the great family story that came with it. Nope, the manager could not see it. Thus, we went to a local mall, spent more hundreds of dollars in another restaurant elsewhere, when all of that could have gone to the Embassy Suites Tyson's Corner. So, I guess they get a two circle score just because they do not understand the hotel business.

Another indicator? Pay as you go internet. Anyone who reads my reviews knows that I think pay as you go internet is the modern equivalent of paying for towels. And those hotels who do it normally have free internet in the lobby (very slooooow internet), but you can at least use it to check your mail. Not here. At the Tyson's Corner Embassy Suites, you pay for everything—another way I have heard this referred to is ‘nickle and diming the patron. But wait – there is more – the room we were in did not have a comforter for the fold out bed – another indicator of lack of leadership. Beware of the air conditioner -- all night long -- 80 decibels on the meter app we downloaded. Like sleeping in wind tunnel. I am not even going to go into the 10 minutes we had to wait for a drink at the ‘Manager’s reception’ because there was only one bartender (who was working his tail off). Eventually a manager came out to assist but that was a shadow of the help needed. There was no food for the manager’s reception until 15 minutes after it had begun. The second day was no improvement, having to wait over 12 minutes just to get a drink at the ‘reception.’ Breakfast, highly touted by Embassy Suites Tysons Corner was fine, except for the non-smiling staff and the nice staff lady who elbowed me out of the way in front of the coffee so she could put the grounds in the machine. She never said excuse me and then stepped in front of the elderly lady who stood between her and refilling the sugar bowls. The poor older lady almost lost her balance as the worker moved in front of her.

This hotel is poorly run and led, from the reservations to the management to the food service. I will not stay here again and I do not recommend this hotel for any type of stay. During my stay my temper ran from flat angry to frustrated to disappointed. They should know how to do better.

Room Tip: Choose somewhere else to stay.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
ESTYSONS, General Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Tysons Corner, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
I want to thank you for taking the time to provide us with very valuable feedback in regards to your recent stay. First off, My sincere apologies that we fell well short of your expectations and our high standards by which we consistantly operate. The fact you were misinfored on a number of occassions was disappointing and we will be sure to take this feedback to only make our hotel better and our team more informed. We pride ourselves on our great service and wonderful product, so in these rare times when we fall short of expectations we want to be sure we get it right for all future stays. I do hope you come back and join us again soon so we can show you are true colors and genuine hospitality. Thank you again.

478 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed 3 nights last weekend. Corner King Executive great for my husand & kids. Breakfast was delicious & had many options including made to order omelettes. Staff extremely friendly from check in on. Visit Great Falls too, it was beautiful.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Mid Atlantic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

I wanted to like this hotel, but I didn't. The staff at check in was cold as ice, it felt like an airport hotel where the front desk staff, weary from accommodating last minute requests for a room, greet you with barely a smirk. Our room was an executive king suite, in a corner as we had requested. The room had wear and tear to the furniture and did not appear that clean. We attended the managers reception and we enjoyed the alcohol, but the big bowl of tortilla chips seemed like an afterthought "oh, we need to put out a snack?!" It was totally a letdown. The breakfast was also a let down, coffee that was barely drinkable and the food was of cheap quality. Even the fruit was tasteless and lackluster.
The one bright shining star of this hotel - if you have the chance to take advantage of it - is the pool! The pool was sparkling clean with an actual lifeguard and big fluffy towels. The floor needs to be retiled as the cracks are dangerous to walk on (not the pool bottom but the flooring in the pool room).
The location, in closing, is sadly swallowed up by the Metro expansion. I would only stay here if a conference were held nearby in the future. However, I think the re-done Hilton flagship may prove a better choice.

• Stayed October 2012
ESTYSONS, General Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Tysons Corner, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
I wanted to take the time to thank you for your feedback. As a hotel that takes great pride in our great product and service, we were disappointed we did not execute to our high standards of operation during your stay. We regret we were not able to provide you with the breakfast you expected. Our complimentary, cooked-to-order breakfast is comprised of a variety of hot and cold food items, but we are constantly looking for ways to improve the guest experience, and as a brand, are looking at additional items we could include. However, we would like to apologize for the level of service you received from our staff members as well. We appreciate your suggestions and will take them under consideration. On your next visit to the area, I hope you consider staying with us again so we can demonstrate the excellent food service and hospitality we are known for.
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I keep coming back here because of proximity to my business appointments. I can report that the construction traffic has improved in the past 6 months. The bathroom has also been up-dated by removing the tub and installing a shower enclosure in its place; however, the shower footprint is narrow like the former tub so some people may find it a tight fit. The manager's reception leaves a lot to be desired and amounts to nothing more than beverages and some chips. Other Embassy Suite properties have real finger food so this is a disappointment. All-in-all it remains a typical Embassy Suites.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Culpeper, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed one night. Loved the spacious, well appointed two room suite with mini kitchen and two large tvs. Very comfortable bed! We were most impressed with the made to order omelets. A very reasonable rate for the DC area with free parking.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

The location was great. It was next to some popular restaurants and down the street from a large mall. The room was a Great suite with a fridge and microwave. Enjoyed the separate living room and bedroom. Also, they had a full hot breakfast that was complimentary. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Was there for three nights,one of the best Hotels I have ever stayed in. Building and room were immaculate, modern and very comfortable. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Suttle to DC Metro stop was very good with little or no waiting. A little expensive during the week but good price on the weekends. Breakfast was better than most restaurants and evening managers reception was great!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Tysons Corner? Share your experiences!