“Poorly managed staff/service” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Tysons Corner
California
“Poorly managed staff/service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I would NEVER come back here. So my family and I stayed here for the past Memorial day weekend (Saturday and Sunday nights) and we were SO frustrated by the staff. On our last night, we came back to find out that one of our room's were LEFT OPEN and our curtains were not shut so that anyone could easily walk in and steal our stuff. It's a miracle that nothing was taken but I still thought that it was important to let the front desk know so I called. They picked up the phone after letting it ring literally ten times. I was in the lobby JUST before going to the room so I knew the staff were not busy because there was no one in the lobby. When they finally did pick up, the person at the front desk sounded so annoyed and I could clearly hear her whisper to someone "ohmygawd". I let this lady know what happened but all she told me was that she will look into what happened and call me back. She never did. I was exhausted from the long day so I just decided to deal with it the next morning. In the morning, as my family were checking out, I once again let the front desk person know (it was a different person this time) and all I heard from him was that he didn't hear anything about it and he just told me to contact the manager. From this experience, I can say that the staff here are poorly managed and they are indifferent about their customers. I was so disappointed and frustrated by both the responses I got. Definitely one of the least favorite hotels.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Fort Rucker, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I try to give an honest opinion of the places I visit and try to consider that maybe my experiences may be anomolous to the norm. I say that because overall my stay with them was satisfactory. They were much cheaper than any other hotel in the area, so if price is your driver this is the place. When I arrived late in the afternoon there were few cars in the lot and fewer guests observable. I thought it was quiet and somewhat undersold which worried me. Then the busses started rolling in. Apparently it's quite popular with tourist programs and by late evening was nearly full. Most of the guests were from China; not a problem they were courteous and quiet, but there were a lot of them, which sets up my breakfast critique. Breakfast offerings are on the thin side for this chain. Unfortunately, my business day coincided with the early morning tourist rush and getting breakfast took longer than I expected. If this is normal, check with the hotel for bookings prior to so you can plan your breakfast meal-time accordingly. The desk staff was courteous when I arrived and gave some useful tips, and the first morning wake-up call was as requested. Not so on the second day. Lucklly I didn't sleep so well and when I woke up I was only running a half hour late, which complicated breakfast with my new group of Chinese friends. When I commented to the front desk that my wake-up call never happened they gave an apology in passing that had about as much feeling as love from a gold-fish; it just wasn't there. I really felt like I'd bothered them from their early morning coffee break. They weren't rude, they just didn't care. The next day the wake-up call was only about five minutes late, but it came, I had breakfast with yet another new group of Chinese friends, got on my plane and went home. In short, it served my purposes for having a place to sleep while on a business trip. It was cheap; location was convenient to some shopping and restaurants; and it was fairly clean for an older hotel, housekeeping did an adequate job. I'm not saying I wouldn't stay here again, but I would have to think hard about it if gien other hotel options.

Room Tip: One elevator on back-side of hotel is inconvenient for guests with heavy luggage or those with small...
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Blakeslee, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Kept waiting forty five minutes because of early arrival at 2:15 pm. Was assigned room at 3 pm which had not been cleaned. Assigned room next door which had been cleaned to be welcomed with huge cockroach in bathroom. Was believed for two night stay
Couldn't wait to leave. Breakfast was nice and front desk staff was okay. Maintenance came quickly to spray for cockroach. Most help do not speak English, the first language of USA.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

For the price, this place was ok. I booked a room using hotwire's secrete rate.

Upon arrival we stopped at the front desk and picked up our keys. The keys are a key shaped USB-ish device. We then proceeded to park around back and use the slow elevator to go up to floor 2. My husband and I stayed in room 3206. The room was on the second floor facing the garden. The garden had about a dozen people sitting and drinking (they were loud). The rooms do not block sound (you will hear people walking by and you will hear all conversations near your room). The rooms are not insulated well. The doors are not sealed well; I would not want to stay in one of the rooms in extreme cold weather. The temp was well into the 80s during our stay; the A/C turned on frequently (loud and the blowing air went directly onto the bed).

The room was clean. There was a typical mystery stain on the chair in the room. The king sized bed was comfortable. The shelf above the 'closet' (really just a shelf and rod hanging - no actual closet) was broken. Otherwise, the room had the usual motel layout.

The room had a microwave (did not use). A fridge that was quiet. A coffee maker (handle on the pot was broken and made it useless).

The water pressure in the shower was good. The temp fluctuated greatly while taking a shower.

The pool is an outdoor pool. It was drained when we were staying there. This was disappointing to us as the temp reached almost 90 one of the days we stayed.

The wifi was slow in our room.

The breakfast is a so-so hotel breakfast: questionable scrambled eggs, sausage patties, waffle maker, yogurt, fruit (the bananas were on their last days), cheap pastries and muffins, cereal, and bagels.

The metro silver line is a short walk from the hotel. There are some basic chain restaurants within walking distance. A walmart is a block away (useful to pick up bottled water, food/snacks, and anything you may have forgotten).

Another note, we kept the do not disturb sign up the entire stay. We were uncomfortable with the other reviews reporting theft and decided to not have the room cleaned daily. This was the first time we kept the sign up for an entire trip.

I will consider staying here in the future, for the right price. I will compare other options.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2015

I didnt want to pay the sky high prices just down the street, or especially in the city, so I stayed here. I have stayed here before, and as I said, it met expectations. My room was clean, and in good repair. My top concerns. It was a little small, but I only had a single queen size bed. The rooms were outside access, which mostly doesnt bother me, but be advised if it does you. The surrounding area is safe enough. There was a very nice courtyard with some nice landscaping. The Spring Hill stop on the silver line Metro is just down the street, making access to the city, as well as Tysons Corner shopping, easy and cheap. Nice breakfast served in the morning.

Room Tip: As far as I could tell, they are all pretty much the same.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Charleston, SC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2015

We decided last minute to go see the Cherry Blossoms in DC. All the hotels closer to the city were either completely booked or the prices started at $279 for a room (we are more budget travelers). We found this for a reasonable price compared to other places and booked two nights here. Checking in took a long time because there were 6 other people trying to check in and only one front desk clerk. We stayed in a room with one Queen bed (there were two of us) and I will say it was the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in (in this country). Luckily we were only in the room to sleep at night but if you plan on spending any amount of time other then sleeping, upgrade to a larger room or you will be sorry. The fridge was a nice size and kept drinks very cold. Our room was on the ground floor and was very noisy at night with people walking by and getting items from the vending machine. I have seen others complain about the breakfast but I thought it had a decent selection though it was very crowded. The best feature of the hotel is the location. It is close to the Spring Hill Metro Stop on the silver line. This is about a 35 minute ride to downtown DC. They also had free parking which is a plus. Our biggest concern was that when we left for the day we left the do not disturb sign on our door and asked for no housekeeping because we had left some items out we did not want disturbed. When we got back the sign had been removed and our room had been cleaned. We noticed that $20 was missing from some money we had left in the room. We could not say who took the money and it is not even that it is missing that made us so mad but rather that we specifically asked for no housekeeping and this request was ignored. We also realize this was partly our mistake not to put the items in the safe (which we did not use because that meant waiting in line at check in again to get a key for the safe so it was our fault for being lazy). We choose not to report this to the hotel because we did not feel anything would have been done about it (the signs all around say how the hotel is not responsible for lost or stolen items) but the event left us with a sour feeling about our stay so we would not recommend it. If you do stay, just make sure you utilize the safe and guard all your valuables.

Room Tip: Ground room floors can be noisy, rooms with only a Queen bed are tiny!!
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2015

Stayed there on 4/3/2015. The room was fine. Clean and comfortable. Checked out the next day. However, due to work, had to stay for another night at the same place. Got a different room. Saw couple of cockroaches in the bathroom. Others might go crazy about it, but I have seen before and it doesn't really bother me. Didn't see any in the first night. They serve breakfast. Not a whole lot but sufficient to keep you going in the morning. Although, please take note that there is a mad rush in the morning for the breakfast line especially when there is a tour group leaving in the morning.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Been to Comfort Inn Tysons Corner? Share your experiences!