“Gross” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Tysons Corner
Tracys Landing, MD
“Gross”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

My husband and I decided to reserve a room at the Comfort Inn so we wouldn't have to drive the 1+ hours home after a concert at Wolf Trap. I read the reviews on TripAdvisor and decided to give the Comfort Inn a chance. I wasn't expecting the RitzCarlton, but I did expect a clean, comfortable and affordable (albeit modest) family-style hotel.

Wrong. We ended up leaving after the concert and not staying at the hotel. It was just plain gross.

Check-in was fine. The hotel personnel were pleasant and very professional. When we checked into our room, however, it was another story. There were stains on the chair as well as the carpet. There were rips in the wallpaper above the sink. The bathroom was a nightmare. It was old and dinghy. The real kicker: the inside of the bathroom door was shredded. Yup. Like someone pealed the veneer finish off the door.

We went to the front desk after the concert was over and said that the hotel was just too gross for us to stay for the night. The clerk didn't seem surprised, and said that they would refund our money. (We booked through hotels.com.) We have not received our money back from our credit card.

There are plenty of modest, well-kept and clean family style hotels/motels out there.

This isn't one of them.

YUK.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Fairmont, West Virginia, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Got a good deal. Close to shopping and DC. Room was fine. Staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was excellent!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Valley View
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

My husband and I were on a motorcycle trip and we were looking for a place to stay close to DC where we could use the metro but far enough away to be out of the heart of the city. This was a great choice. We got there on a Tues and they were offering a free dinner snack (taco salad, beer, drinks). There was a hot breakfast included. They had a shuttle that ran every hour to the metro station which was awesome. Every month they have a free barbecue dinner with tables set up outside, kareoke, and beer/wine. We just happened to be there at the right time. After a day in DC we spent the evening at the barbecue, which was alot of fun. If your on a budget, this is the place to go. It's not a 5 star hotel, but the rooms are clean, beds are comfortable, service is friendly, and it's priced right. We had no complaints.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Charleston, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

checked into the comfort inn tysons corner because of the storm which caused a major power issue.friendly staff at the reception..the breakfast was great.tv channels were of HD quality.ample parking space unlike some of the nearby hotels.takes you about 20 minutes to drive to DC from the hotel.lack of good restaurants near the hotel is an issue though.the ceiling in the room wasnt really smooth.dint have any leakage but it wasnt really a good sight

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Williamsburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012 via mobile

I'm not a huge fan of hotels and this one is no different.

I've stayed before and didn't like it then.

It's an older property and it needs some work done to it if it wants a better rating from me.

One thing that really bothered me was that I put my do not disturb sign up and came back that evening and the room was clean and couldn't find the do not disturb sign. Not sure if someone took it or the house keeper just didn't care.

• Stayed June 2012
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

I couldn't believe that I found a hotel so good. My stay on a Friday night (23-March-2012) as part of a conducted tour (to Washington DC) gave me enough opportunity to put together a dependable review. My tour company had a disorganised approach to room allotment. Initially I was allotted a double-bed room. After half hour of my occupation, I was requested to move to a single-bed room for the reason that there was a family in the tour which needed double-bed room while I travelled alone. I had to mention this because I am now able to judge the hotel based on my occupation of 2 rooms for the same night! (Kindly note that room allotment problem was that of the tour company and not of the hotel.) Now the review.

The design is close to perfect. Good access to natural light. Good space to take the luggage in. Good placement of beds. Neat, clean, comfortable beds. Right placement of lights at the sink, convenient for shaving. Right size of bathtub and good placement of soap-holding tiles to prevent foam accumulation and leak of slippery soap solution. Good shower facility. Neat towels. Well-maintained, spotless, clean bathtub, WC, sink. Availability of hair dryer, pressing iron and ironing board, microwave oven , mini-fridge, locker, TV, study table, good chairs, airconditioner and coffee-maker. The colour combination used for the room is very attractive. Breakfast (free of charge) adequate. Space has been utilised very efficiently; not cramped and not wasted. My full marks to the designer of the rooms here. My assessment is based on my stay in budget and 3-star hotels in Switzerland, UK and USA.

However I observed air-conditioners of 2 other rooms whose water had leaked onto the customers' walking path. I had to jump over the leaks on my way to breakfast. Also, I find it uncomfortable that the coffee-making gadget is placed on the sink; I am sure the spills of toothbrushing and shaving will fall on the gadget. These are minor issues.

Overall great value. If I had a chance, I would stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Reno, NV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

I have stayed here probably 40 nights over the past 3+ years. I keep coming back because they offer by far the best value in this high priced area. The property is dated, perhaps built in the 1970s or so, but it's well maintained and, more importantly, clean. I can remember staying here many years ago when it was a Day's Inn (or whatever).

Two buildings, three levels with elevators. Decent self laundry. Better than average free breakfast, with juice, cereal, yogurt, toast, waffles, pastry. Free newspapers. Free wireless internet, good connection. Rooms average in size, beds tend to overwhelm the space. Adequate bathroom facilities. When something's not working, not unknown to happen in a motel of this vintage, the on-site maintenance guy will be there promptly to fix it, whatever the problem is. A room change is always an options, as long as one is available. The staff is competent and helpful.

You need a car to stay here, as it's a longish walk to the bus stop, with almost no restaurants nearby. Plenty of places to eat in the nearby Tysons malls (I & II), when you tire of shopping. Once the new metro is finished, access to WDC and other locations will be excellent.

This is your usual Comfort Inn, but with its competitive prices, the value is outstanding. I plan to continue staying here a dozen or more nights a year. Can't give a better recommendation than that.

Room Tip: Dead end street so all rooms are quiet. Try for ground floor just for convenience with heavy luggag...