“Good choice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Tysons Corner
New York
“Good choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn and found it to be conveniently located near two malls and an easy metro ride into Washington, DC. The room was the standard Hilton room and had a nice glassed-in shower (though I found the shower floor to be a bit slippery).

The not-so-good: The woman working the front desk when I arrived was a bit short with me when I asked her if the shuttle could come pick me up at the metro (it was around 11am) - and this was after I had called twice and no one had answered after many rings (they answered the third time). I thought I had the wrong number! I think the hotel should consider having the calls routed to an automated system or something after a number of rings to let someone know that they are busy, but will be with them shortly.

The great: The rest of the front desk staff was wonderful. The brunch (though not included) was tasty - I liked the egg & cheese wrapped with salsa. The shuttle driver, Jose, was awesome. He was friendly, professional and seemed like an all-around good guy. He was never put out by driving someone or picking someone up. The rest of the staff was very friendly, as well.

In short, we would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
HGIManager10, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tysons Corner, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank you for your review and it is wonderful to hear that you thought highly of the hotel and Front Office team. I will pass on your comments to Jose as I know it will make his day. Also, I will make sure that all associates are aware of the best way to deliver great service to our guests. Thank you again and we will be honored to have you return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I love this hotel. As a casual travel to, or through, DC on the weekends, this hotel fits all my needs. I've stayed at this hotel several times, so this review covers multiple stays.

Upon arrival, first thing you will notice is it's not on the main roads, it's on some side roads with some office-park businesses around it (not mid- or high-rises). The area is very quiet. Because of this, be aware that after dark the streets are not busy nor are they brightly lit. If you are timid about walking or running outside without a lot of streetlights you might feel comfortable. This did not bother me at all.

The driveway to the front entrance can sometimes be crowded, but, there is street parking across the street. Check-in has always been quick and easy. When you walk into the hotel it feels very new. I inquired about the age of the hotel and was told it was several years old. I was impressed; to me it felt very new. Overnight parking is available on the street (limited) or underground, which at the time of this review was $5.00/night.

Rooms are standard Hilton Garden Inn Rooms, which in my opinion are very good. I've always stayed in a king room. The bed is very comfortable. The bedding decent, the comforter isn't paper thin like some places, so you can keep warm if you like the room cool. The quality of the furniture is in great shape, the decor is modern and on the brighter side. TV is a decent size flat panel TV with great cable channel selection. Wi-Fi always worked well, I was able to get online quickly and connect to work via VPN with no issues. The a/c system worked very well - it did not have any loud obnoxious sounds, but instead was a good white noise. You can also leave the fan set to ON - which is great for those of us that like some background noise while you sleep. The room had a small fridge and microwave. The bathroom had good quality towels. Nothing extremely fancy, but not paper thin either. The fitness room was small, and cold in my opinion, so don't expect a large fitness center with lots of selection. The hotel lobby had a small 'pantry' with various items for sale, such as candy, drinks, and other items I don't remember.

The hotel does not have a free continental breakfast, which I believe is standard for Hilton Garden Inn's. I don't find this a negative, just pointing it out so others don't have expectations otherwise.

There are plenty of restaurants nearby (within a mile), with a mix of low and high price selections. There are also two shopping malls, the one (Tysons Corner Center) being very large and includes a movie theater and several additional restaurants. If you are wanting something across the street there is nothing nearby. Most places are a minimum of a half mile, or more; a quick drive or a nice long walk.

This hotel is now my choice for the area for casual stay. It's convenient to shopping as well as freeway access to I-66 and I-495. HGI, you've taken my business from the nearby Courtyard Marriot. Keep up the great work!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Wow! I love that you were so thoroughly satisfied and let us know about it. We will continue to make the greatest of efforts to ensure that every guest has the same experience as you and we will be sure that you continue to receive the service and accommodations that you have come to expect from us. Thank you for your kind review and we look forward to seeing you again.
Beavercreek, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I've stayed here several times. I enjoy the free internet and mini-fridge in the room. The bed is super comfortable, and the staff is very friendly and helpful. Many rooms have a walk-in shower, but rooms with bathtubs are also available -- just ask if you need a tub. On my most recent stay, I had many problems with the air conditioning; mechanics were in my room 3 separate times to work on it.

Room Tip: If you want a bathtub, just ask; otherwise you might get a room with walk-in shower.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Chevy Chase, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Hilton Garden Inn is fast becoming my favorite mid-tier chain, and this property is a good example of the reasons why. My room was very spacious with a supremely comfortable bed, large shower, and nice amenities. The decor is calm, contemporary, and more upscale than that found in some chains that cost quite a bit more. The hotel was very clean.

I was only there for one night, so I didn't do much more than park and check into my room, but I really can't complain about any aspect of my stay. A great value in a convenient location.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
HGIManager10, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tysons Corner, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
It sounds like you enjoyed your time with us! Thank you for letting us know of your stay and it always makes our team feel great to know that we provided clean accommodations and superior service to our guests. Thank you again!
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

We stayed here July 4. Pretty hotel The room (had a chair but not a sofa ) would not cool ...so as we left for dinner and fireworks we called to have the a/c repaired. When we arrived back that evening the room we still hot. We called ,and the front desk said the a/c could not be repaired and would move us...they did -but that room had the same problem... the a/c was not cooling. So once again I went down for new keys and success, we had a room that was cool. We are Hilton Gold and they did not mention that at all. We did get a nice note from the manager. Our rate included breakfast. It was fine for us...made to order eggs, bacon, fruit.
We parked on the street because we were told the garage is narrow.
We would go back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to inform us of your stay. I apologize that you experienced a malfunctioning air conditioner twice, but I am happy that we were able to resolve it for you and that you enjoyed your stay with us. We always want our guests to be comfortable and to exceed their expectations on both our service and property so it is reassuring to know that you were satisfied. Thank you again and we hope to see you back again soon.
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

hotel ok ---very hard to find at midnite---parking in garage is usually a charge but the fron desk gave for free

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

As with Hilton Garden's sister company, Hampton Inn, they are predicable. Almost always clean and modern and this hotel was no different. My only complaint is the air adjustable bed. I can never get comfortable on them, but that is a personal thing. The staff was friendly and very helpful when asked. Although I did not eat in the hotel, the dining room was clean and bright with a staff willing to help at a moment's notice. We stayed on a weekend when the hotel is fairly slow so I would imagine they are much busier. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
We love being predictable as the consistency throughout the brand is top notch! We appreciate your response and are happy that we were able to make your stay with us enjoyable. Thank you and we are excited to have you return!