“Persian Food at it's... Not so Best” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Persian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Atlanta, Georgia
“Persian Food at it's... Not so Best”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

So I will start off by saying I'm Persian and from Atlanta. I may be bias but here's my honest review based on my personal experience.

I walked in, noticed an old monitor sitting on the counter (this monitor had only green/black text color). That showed me that "change" is not a welcomed theme.

On to the food:
Food was not very good, it wasn't BAD, it was just very bland. No flavor. The meat wasn't high quality meat. The worst part, that really bothered me, the bread was in a plastic lunch bag. I mean, that can EASILY be presented much better. The khashk e bademjoon was ok, I understand people make it in different ways. This one looked like the ingredients were put in a blender and then served on a plate. The ice cream was good old persian ice cream, but again, presentation. No pistachios, no mint leaves, nothing.

On the service:
At first, it seemed ok, they quickly brought out bread and my drink. But one of my BIGGEST pet peeves is when I order an appetizer, and it comes out with my entree. I can't stand when restaurants do that. So service dropped a couple points for that. When it came time to pay, I timed it, 20 minutes, the waiter just disappeared, I had to get up and go to hostess stand.

Atmosphere:
Ok, so I mentioned presentation, the plates do not match anything, the bread was brought in a plastic sandwich bag, I mean, this place was ridiculous. A few minor (low-cost) adjustments and my ratings would go up. It just looks like they don't put any effort into improvement, which reflects on their food, service, etc. as well.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Seattle, Washington
“You better like rice!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Dinner was on a Tuesday night so there was no wait. Several tables were taken but it is a very small restaurant, deceptive because one wall is mirrors so it appears much larger. We started off with a baggie of flatbread (strange presentation) and it came with a green sauce, made up of several herbs. We decided to try it; it was very spicy but we could not get enough of it, it was so delicious. We ordered our food, opting for the Chelo Kabob Shamshiry $16.99. It was basically a ground lamb kabob, a long strip of steak, and enough rice to feed an army of people. It was very tasty although we all agreed the steak was the best part. The rice was pretty basic, but adding the sliced onions helped the flavor. You are suppose to get a raw egg to put in it and it then cooks in the hot rice. We did not get that and when I asked, the waitress waved it off and we never received it. My friend had a drink called doogh and we all tried it. It was terrible and I don't recommend it at all. The menu described it as a refreshing yogurt drink is very popular in persia." It was not refreshing at all and we all said it was an experience we never wanted to repeat. The service was horrible. The waitress only had to take our food order and drink and she did not remember the drink at all and said it did not matter. We laughed, but come on, she was inattentive and when we requested something, she never returned with it. It was reasonably priced and the food was good so if you are traveling on a budget, I recommend this place. Just don't expect high service or anything spectacular. And stay away from the Doogh!!!

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Delicious food, so many choices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We ate at the restaurant on a Monday evening, so there was no wait in line for a table, however, the restaurant was pretty crowded. My husband had the barg kabob and I had the salmon kabob with the dill rice with fava beans. The portion of the rice was huge for both entrees. I tasted his beef and it was very tender. The salmon was very moist and tasty. We also had the shirazi salad, which was fresh and delicious as well. We shared one order of Persian ice cream, which was plenty for the both of us after such a filling meal. It has rose water as one of the ingredients. You have to try it, I can't explain the sweet taste. I observed another table's order of the chicken kabob on a plate of beautiful salad. Next time I will try an entrée with the salad and perhaps get a child's portion of the rice. If we were staying in the DC area for longer than one night, we probably would have returned the next day for another meal. We will definitely return.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Vienna, Virginia
“Great Persian cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

The food is tasty
The service is good
The prices are reasonable
There is a good variety of Persian food

Visited June 2013
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
“Huge portions of authentic Persian cuisine, with excellent service and customer relations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I netsurfed to find a place close to Wolf Trap, where friends and I were going for a Brandi Carlile concert, and stumbled upon this place. I have a Persian friend and was interested in trying out the cuisine, so after perusing the restaurant's website and the menu I chose this place for dinner before the concert. They only take reservations for large parties, but even on a concert night the place was only pleasantly full. Before going, I checked out the reviews here, and after reading them my only concern was that the service and staff's attitude might be less than ideal. As it turns out, we had nothing to worry about.

The food is, quite simply, out of this world, not in a gourmet sense but in the sense of excellent authentic ethnic food. In other words, not always to my taste as an American, but unbeatable for what it was, and worth repeating. I had the combination kebab dish, which included both marinated filet mignon and ground beef. The servings are huge! As in 3/4 pound to one pound of meat, precooked weight. Kebobs always come with an even larger serving of rice with saffron, which is served also with a large helping of the browned crust of rice from the bottom of the pan, which Iranians apparently consider to be on the same order we would consider crispy poultry skin or a nicely browned outside slice of a roast. So much so that this place goes out of its way to prepare large quantities of the stuff so they don't have to skimp on it. The traditional way to eat the rice is to scoop a "bowl" into the very hot center of the rice and pour one or more egg yolks and several tablespoons of butter into it, then stir the whole mess around to allow the hot rice to cook the egg and melt the butter. Then, one liberally sprinkles sumac powder over it and digs in! (Sumac, made from the reddish heads of sumac trees, is a very popular table seasoning in Persian cuisine and has a somewhat citrusy flavor and acidity to it. Everything else we ordered at out table was similarly excellent.

The service at our table was also very responsive and excellent. Because most Americans are squeemish about eating raw egg products, it is necessary to ask for the egg yolk(s) to mix with your rice, but when I asked about it and then ordered it it was brought within a minute or two. Toward the end of our meal we were visited by a young man named Ali who, it turned out, is the owner's son. Ali advised us that if we enjoyed the meal we might want to try the restaurant's saffron ice cream. We all declined because we were literally stuffed, but Ali insisted on providing each of us a small complimentary scoop, which in each instance turned out to be a very large scoop of very rich, eggy, safron-infused ice cream, free of charge. A very nice touch! Perhaps some of the negative comments I read are directed at a different generation of managers; if so, I hope Ali is able to prevail upon management to adopt his approach to customer service. Our experience could not have been more positive!

• Visited July 2013