“Used to like this place” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Burke, Virginia
“Used to like this place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Went for brunch this past Sunday, after having been there several times a few years ago. Very disappointing. I asked that my scrambled eggs be made of real eggs (having seen other diners having what was the unmistakeable uniform color of liquid eggs...eww...) I was happy that they were able to do this, but they clearly don't know how to cook them properly as they were very overcooked. The breakfast potatoes were also on the soggy side, which suggested that they had been sitting under a heat lamp for some time.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

64% Recommend
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Amazing Quality Lamb Shank”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I tried the lamb shank on the recommendation of the General Manger Diane Paisley. I was concerned that a lamb shank from a "cafe" [however Deluxe] would be pushing what the kitchen could do well. I was wrong. For $16.95 you get an amazing piece of bone-in lamb that is tender, well seasoned and properly "falls off the bone". The accompanying mashed potatoes with spinach are appropriately somewhat dry to go well with the richness of the lamb. It is my new "go to" meal. But Diane tells me I have to try the short ribs. All my problems should be so tough!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
northern virginia
“something has changed here”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Cafe Deluxe used to be one of our favorite places to eat. Unfortunately the last time we visited we were all a bit underwhelmed and disappointed. My son ordered a bison burger cooked medium rare. After receiving TWO very well done (burned) burgers he finally changed his order to mussels. He enjoyed his mussels but by the time he started eating the rest of us had finished our meals. I ordered the cheeseburger which was quite good. I was horrified when our waitress brought me a mustard jar which had been used by who knows how many diners before me. Diners who undoubtedly used their dirty knives to retrieve mustard out of this unrefrigerated jar. Pretty sure that's a health code violation. Our service was fair at best. Not sure we will ever go back.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Reston, Virginia
“Good food in a decidedly French atmosphere.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

My wife and I ate lunch at the Cafe Deluxe again recently. I love this bistro. I reminds me of similar type restaurants in Paris. The restaurant is always very busy at lunch time. We each had a hamburger, The meat was seasoned and cooked well. The fries were vey good. I also had a nice side salad. We always enjoy eating here and have never had a bad meal. The restaurant is very noisy and the voices echo which I like very much. The hostesses and our waiter were very nice and friendly. We will definitely eat here again.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tysons Corner, Virginia
“Cafe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Great location to shopping, malls, business and leisure time. Convenient free parking, no valets!! Nice service with suggestions, new menu. Happy hour selections, loud in the bar area but cozy in the restaurant area. Outdoor dining available weather permitting.

• Visited February 2013