“Mixed feelings” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Tysons Corner
GreenLeadersGold level
“Mixed feelings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

The hotel is located near a shopping mall ... That is if you like shopping... Nothing else around it really. Hotel gym is adequate but not well maintained (noisy equipment, deflated balls to do abs crunches). Rooms are ok but if located close to the lobby area they could be noisy as it often hosts groups that congregate in the lobby area... And I could hear people laughing and talking loudly until late hours on one occasion...my shower did not have a shower curtain... When a lady eventually showed up she just handed in a shower curtain saying do you want to put it yourself or shall I do it ? I thought suggesting that I fix a problem that should not have been there in a first place was lacking a spirit of basic customer service... No apology or follow up from Reception... Hotel room did not have a safe deposit box which should be a basic standard... No refrigerator / minibar in the room. But all in all it is ok property ... They can make it better if they actually looked after this hotel ... Lack if strong management

• Stayed May 2014
CPTysonsCorner, Manager at Crowne Plaza Tysons Corner, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear “Emil A”;
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your most recent stay with us. I was disappointed to read the issues you had, as we do make every effort to ensure our guests are 100% satisfied with their stay. We have addressed your concerns regarding the housekeeping situation with our Executive Housekeeper and I do apologize for the lack of customer service. Our Engineering department will be addressing the fitness center issues and we will certainly look at adding safe deposit boxes and refrigerators as we plan for room refreshes in the coming year.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Have stayed here a few times. This time was not one of the better ones. The view from my room was of three brick walls and a large metal container. Hence the room was dark and dingy. The AC was noisy. The tap water was hardly warm enough to take a bath and there was no line over the bathtub for hanging washed clothes. Otherwise full marks for good toiletries and a comfortable bed.
The staff on checking-in was excellent. The next morning was a different story, sullen and unhelpful. The shuttle bus is a good service to the local malls and stores. Free wifi is excellent.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
CPTysonsCorner, Manager at Crowne Plaza Tysons Corner, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear “heb999”;
I was disappointed to read the review of your most recent stay with us. We strive to make every guest experience a great one and it seems as if this time, we did not. Your positive comments are appreciated regarding the amenities and the check-in staff. We look forward to a return visit so we can show you that we can do it right.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

The location: close to two big malls.
The rooms: basic and quite outdated. My ceiling had a few stains on it from a leak from the roof.
Check in: quick but I wasn't impressed with the staff chewing gum.
Nice touch: the Sleep Tight gift: face and foot cream and a pillow spray.
Breakfast: good choice, nice service and good value for money.

Would I stay here again? Probably not but it is not offensive or bad-it's average and doesn't seem to be more than that.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear “bw73”;
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your past stay with us. We do take all guest comments seriously and are working towards a plan to update our rooms. Your comments regarding the staff will be addressed by the department head. I was pleased to see that our amenities were able to be enjoyed during your visit and this will be shared with our housekeeping and restaurant teams. Thank you again.

Richmond, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night to visit DC over Spring Break. The location was great next to the big mall. Check in was quick and the room was good. It was very modern, bed was a little firm but still got a great night's rest.The room was a little small compared to a lot of newer hotels, but we had no issues. We were traveling with a six and three year who both loved the large pool. The hotel also has an awesome gym, with everything you need including some free weights. We ate in the O'Malley's pub which is part of the hotel and the food and service was very good. All in all, a very good hotel to stay at in Tysons Corner.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

The Staff at the front desk were incredibly helpful. I dropped in on a Thursday afternoon to check out the rooms prior to making a reservation. Elaine accommodated my request to see a room, then made my reservation for the weekend and secured a very reasonable rate for us. As my stay was coming to an end, again the staff accommodated my late check-out request. As luck wouuld have it, some extenuating circumstances cropped up on my last day, and the staff assisted with special shuttle service, and were very understanding when my departure was delayed beyond the agreed to check-out time. End-to-end, the service at the front desk was exceptional!

Room was clean and comfortable, the courtyard was pleasant, and the pool looked inviting. The wi-fi, however was limited. I was never able to connect more than one device, which seems archaic given most people have multiple net-connected devices like phones, tablets, and laptops. It was very frustrating to never get my laptop connected.

There are a few other issues with the hotel, notably a bad, old, mildew-like smell on the first floor near O'Malley's and the elevators, as well as some of the hallways to guest rooms. The smell was not noticeable in our room.

Hotel location is good, with access to many shopping and dining options. Once the Metro Silver Line opens, access to all DC attractions will be fabulous.

I would consider staying here again given value, location and great service by the desk staff.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a renovated room, and specifically request quiet room, away from elevators, on an...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
CPTysonsCorner, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Tysons Corner, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear “donker2014”;
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of the most recent stay at our hotel. Your positive comments regarding our location near all the shopping and dining options, and those regarding the staff are greatly appreciated, especially about Elaine, who is one of our best. I apologize for you not being able to connect more than one device to the Wi-Fi and will certainly check with our service provider to ensure we address this issue. The “odor” you refer to was the fresh mulch that our landscape company put around our plants.
Again, I appreciate your review and look forward to your return visit.

New Boston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

From the moment I drove up to the Crowne Plaza i got a good feeling. The staff is very friendly & helpful & always greets you with a smile. The restaurant has a very nice selection and the food is delicious. The room was very clean, comfortable and decorated nicely, you get a nice relaxing feeling. Most importantly, the bathroom was clean and well taken care of. This hotel pays a lot of attention to detail. From the moment I checked in to the time I put my head on the most comfortable bed and pillow, I knew this hotel is a hotel I will return to every time I am in tysons corner area.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
CPTysonsCorner, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Tysons Corner, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear “Emily B”;
I was very pleased to read the great review regarding your most recent stay with us. My entire staff will certainly appreciate your kind comments as this shows that our daily training and giving guests what they expect plus a little bit more does work. We look forward to your return to the Tysons Corner area and hope you will be able to enjoy many more of the amenities we have to offer.
Yours in Hospitality,

Trish Drews
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

I had a 3 day stay at Crowne Plaza-Tyson's, and I was not overwhelmed with pleasant thoughts. The front desk staff was not rude, but not helpful either. They always appeared to be rushed, which didn't make me want to bother them. The hotel is extremely busy and noisy, even on the room floors. The heating/air conditioning system was very loud. In fact, I had to just turn it off to sleep at night because of the racket. There was construction directly across the street from my hotel room, too. The work started early in the morning...7ish, but that was okay as I am generally awake at that time. I ordered room service the 3 nights I was there. The food was not high quality or even good, in my opinion, although the food always arrived to my room hot. Parking and both wifi and wired internet access are free...both good options.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms at the end of the hall!!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
CPTysonsCorner, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Tysons Corner, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear “AP W”;
I was disappointed to read your review of your stay with us. Your comments will be shared with the appropriate department heads to ensure we correct our mistakes. The Executive Chef will also be reviewing the food quality with his team to make sure we provide guests with great food and service at all times. We look forward to a return visit so we can show you that we can do it right.