“Don't book third party” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 14 hotels in Tysons Corner
Albany, New York
“Don't book third party”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I recently stayed at the Tysons Corner Marriott with my family of two adults and three children for a weekend in D.C. I booked the hotel through a third party site and upon my arrival was informed there may not be any rooms with two double beds available. I told the woman at the desk that I needed two beds as I had 5 people in the room. She checked her computer and said, "No, we don't have any rooms available." I told her I understood if there weren't any ready yet and we would come back later when they would be ready and she said there wouldn't be any available. There were two big groups coming in and double bed rooms were gauranteed for their groups and not for single parties (what???). She said she could put me in a room with a king size bed and a roll away. I told her that was not acceptable. Was I supposed to sleep with four of us in one bed??? She said my reservation only gaurantees a room not the number of beds. I have never heard of such a thing. I tried several times to explain how I booked my room and she kept interrupting me and telling me to "calm down". I asked her several times to stop interrupting me and not once did she let me speak. I asked to speak to the manager and she said she was the manager. My husband came up to the desk and I walked away. Within minutes she was on the phone with housekeeping getting a room for us. Miraculously a room with two double beds was available! Amazing... She then told my husband that she never said there wasn't a room available for us with two double beds just not one ready yet... LIE! My daughter was standing right there and heard her. I will never stay at this hotel again. This woman was rude, condescending, and dare I say sexist. She never once offered to check for rooms available until my husband came to the desk. Besides the terrible customer service the ammenities were less than up to par. The hot tub was not working, there is not so much as a complimentary newspaper, and the rooms are small. The next time I go to D.C. I will stay at the Hilton Garden around the corner. Their rooms are much bigger and the service is above and beyond the Marriot. Big dissappointment!! Stay someplace else.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

241 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a few days and were not disappointed. The front desk staff was so cordial and helpful. The location to the huge mall is a plus. The restaurant was being renovated so we ate at the mall which was convenient. Parking was $6 a day but we always found a spot.

• Stayed March 2013
Wilmington, Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

...but this time, I'm afraid the facility wasn't up to what I've come to expect. First, let me describe the GOOD aspects. The staff was extremely helpful and professional. The parking was adequate, and was included in the price of the room. The facility was clean, and while I didn't use it, the (indoor) pool and the exercise center both looked excellent. The shower was great, with hot water being available almost immediately. On the downside, the walls were like paper. I could hear conversations and TV clearly enough to discern some words! The internet was absolutely dreadful, and they charge over $12.00 (it was comp'd because of my company's plan with Marriott) per 24 hours; it was the next thing to useless. I wound up activating the hotspot on my iPad, and connecting to it wirelessly from my laptop! I think I'll be looking elsewhere next time I come to Vienna, VA.... Probably at the next closest Marriott property!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This hotel tries to be upscale, but the rooms are the same size as the Courtyard Marriott around the corner. And the price is much higher. Also, this location is hard to get to, you have to drive around and around the mall and a bunch of exits. Poor signage! I got lost every time.

Charge $13 for internet
Charge $6 for parking

Our reservations for rooms on one floor and a junior suite were not honored, but we were charged anyway!

Room Tip: I always like a southern view for the light. Away from the elevators (noise)
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ashley K, Public Relations at Tysons Corner Marriott, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on March 18. We truly apologize for the inconvenience you had with finding our location. I completely understand how frustrated you must have been when you couldn’t locate us. During your next stay, I would be happy to show you the best roads to use and give you personalized directions.

In regards to your reservations not honored, we would like to speak to your further about your concerns and determine an appropriate resolution. You can reach our General Manager, Shelly, directly at (703) 506-2435.

Again we appreciate you taking the time to provide us feedback and we look forward to speaking with you soon.

Ashley K.
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I'm a Marriott guy, I vacation with them and seek them out when traveling for business or personal. This was a quick one night stay, less than 24 hours for business. I had a king bed room on the second floor, which was great because just outside my door was the indoor pool and gym in an atrium setting.

Parking is 6 dollars per day with in/out privileges. Internet was 11-12 daily but was waived in my case.

All in all decent, nothing spectacular. Room was just right for one person, no way a family would fit.

I spent little time in the room outside a few hours sleep, although I did make to nearby mall for quick diner at Cheesecake Factory.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Tysons Corner Marriott. I am glad you liked the location of your room and I personally love the atrium rooms due to their convenient access to gym and pool facilities.

During the weekdays our hotel is primarily business travelers, however on the weekends we have multiple family travelers stay with us. I understand you mentioned our rooms were not large enough for families however we do have options available for them. We have rooms that have 2 double beds and junior suites available that has a separate living and sitting area. If you do find yourself back in Tysons Corner with your family I hope you would consider our hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Ashley K.
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My husband and I came to Tysons for the day to do some shopping and spend some time together, but not be to far from the kids (a two hour drive) We decided to stay at the Tysons Corner Marriott as he had stayed at this hotel previously for business. Since we are marriott card holders when we arrived marriott had already upgraded our room. The room was comfy with plenty of space. Very quite. The tv had lots of in theatre movies which we love. We went down and asked the front desk to help with resturants around (it was resturant week and most where already booked) and they helped us find what we where looking for. We looked at the in-door pool, it was good size. we did not use it though because there where about 4 kids in it and we wanted more quite. But it looked fun. The gym was great. Lots of free-weights and machines. We would def. stay at this hotel again. It is a bit hard to find though...

Room Tip: Ask if you can be upgraded for a bigger room!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ashley K, Public Relations at Tysons Corner Marriott, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Sumee_Ash,

I am delighted to hear of your experiences at the Tysons Corner Marriott and the great service we provided! Thank you for your feedback and we hope you can visit in late March after our new restaurant opens.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

This was the 4 OR 5TH time we've stayed at this property, usually because of close because of the close proximity to IAD (Dulles Int'l Airport), for late arriving and early departing flights to the West Coast; however, this time it was due outrageous room rates in the District of Columbia, some as high as $1200-1500 a night, during Inauguration week... Since their shuttle took us to, and picked us from the nearest METRO station, we didn't have to rent a car ( a substantial "savings," as car rental rates in DC were also greatly inflated and parking was virtually impossible)...
We paid a little extra to be on the hotel's concierge level, so their excellent breakfast buffet was complimentary, as well as evening hors d'oeuvres and late night desserts and unlimited, complimentary, bottled water...
Our room was spotless, and well organized... Room service and housekeeping are outstanding... Our King bed was very comfortable, and bedding was first-rate...
We will stay here many times more, and give an unqualified recommendation to any couple, family or convention/business planner to stay at this property… Every member of their excellent Manager/management/service team makes you feel welcome…
Jay and Catherine Oakman, SanFrancisco

Room Tip: Top floor, on any side of the hotel, corner rooms are best...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Tysons Corner Marriott? Share your experiences!