“Charming place for lunch & tea!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 16 Restaurants in Troutville
Cuisines: American
Fishers, IN
“Charming place for lunch & tea!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

We've been to the White Oak Tea Tavern several times and it never disappoints (and I'm not even a big tea fan). It's located on Route 220 outside Daleville, VA in a beautiful log cabin. I suggest reservations as they don't have a lot of seating.

They offer a warm chicken salad with spinach and artichoke hearts in hollowed out baguette and a cold chicken salad with craisins and pecans served with some yummy homemade bread. They also offer a variety of homemade scones and bagels with schmears.

As you can imagine, the selection of teas for steeping at your table is extensive. They also offer at least one iced tea and Sprecher's root beer, orange and creme sodas. Since we were visiting during the holidays , they offered a tasty warm wassail with a candy orange slice as a garnish on the glass- such a nice touch.

You can purchase tins of the tea, tea pots, and other tea paraphernalia, plus there's a little gift shop in front. This is a particularly comfortable place for women for some reason, although I've seen men happily sipping tea there as well. It's a good place to have a nice chat. I highly recommend it.

Blue Ridge Mountains
“Cozy place but could improve food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

My husband and I ate lunch at the White Oak Tea Tavern and were almost turned away because they said we needed a reservation. This was on a week day at 2pm, so we were a little taken-aback. Finally, the hostess told us she had a table, but it was "big". We had driven a long way to eat here and were starving, so we were seated at the "big" table. She then gave us a little speech about how we need to make reservations next time and I basically told her we were from out of town, and most likely there would be no "next time" (especially after the chilly welcome we received). We ordered tea (of course), I had the lavender tea and my husband had a Breakfast blend tea. Both tasted exactly the same. No difference what-so-ever. We both ordered lunch and it took forever to get our food. My husband had a bagel sandwich and it was so small! Very disappointing. I had the cranberry chicken salad that was supposed to be served on a "bed of greens" but again, there may have been 3 lettuce leaves, and a pile of chicken salad on a big plate. We both left starving.

The surroundings are quiant and cozy, but this place needs a little work on their manners and their food. We won't return.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Roanoke, Virginia
“Great little place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

My wife adores this place. Small, comfy and cozy, and about any tea you can think of. Service is outstanding and the ladies are so polite.

Get the Chicken Salad bowls... homemade mouth watering chicken salad served in freshly baked bread bowls. So yummy to have after a cup of tea.

They will let you sample different teas to see what you like, then you get to brew your own right on your table.

Love this place, we go often.

• Visited November 2011