“Cozy place but could improve food.” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 17 restaurants in Troutville
Cuisines: American
Blue Ridge Mountains
“Cozy place but could improve food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

My husband and I ate lunch at the White Oak Tea Tavern and were almost turned away because they said we needed a reservation. This was on a week day at 2pm, so we were a little taken-aback. Finally, the hostess told us she had a table, but it was "big". We had driven a long way to eat here and were starving, so we were seated at the "big" table. She then gave us a little speech about how we need to make reservations next time and I basically told her we were from out of town, and most likely there would be no "next time" (especially after the chilly welcome we received). We ordered tea (of course), I had the lavender tea and my husband had a Breakfast blend tea. Both tasted exactly the same. No difference what-so-ever. We both ordered lunch and it took forever to get our food. My husband had a bagel sandwich and it was so small! Very disappointing. I had the cranberry chicken salad that was supposed to be served on a "bed of greens" but again, there may have been 3 lettuce leaves, and a pile of chicken salad on a big plate. We both left starving.

The surroundings are quiant and cozy, but this place needs a little work on their manners and their food. We won't return.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

% Recommend
Roanoke, Virginia
“Great little place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

My wife adores this place. Small, comfy and cozy, and about any tea you can think of. Service is outstanding and the ladies are so polite.

Get the Chicken Salad bowls... homemade mouth watering chicken salad served in freshly baked bread bowls. So yummy to have after a cup of tea.

They will let you sample different teas to see what you like, then you get to brew your own right on your table.

Love this place, we go often.

• Visited November 2011