“Stay Away From this stinky old dump!” 1 of 5 stars

Red Roof Inn Roanoke - Troutville
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3231 Lee Highway South, Troutville, VA 24175   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Troutville
Los Angeles, California
“Stay Away From this stinky old dump!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

The one time I didn't look at reviews on Trip Advisor I really paid the price tonight!!!!! After spending a great and restful night at an immaculate and contemporary seven story Red Roof in Charlottesvile right at the entrance to the University of Virginia campus, I was lulled into a false sense of security. The inconsistent quality of Red Roofs strikes again. I got bitten before ( not literal) at the Wilmington,NC Red Roof earlier this summer -which I reviewed on Trip Advisor- and this property would fall into the same category. It is old and not renovated like most Red Roofs now are. I spent the day today at Monticello, the home of Thomas Jefferson, in Charlotsville ( Jefferson, a lover of fine and legant living, would turn over in his grave if he could see this room) and afterwards ran into major delays for over 1.5 hours due to a major accident on the highway. My timing was off and I got to this area quite late late so I just saw a Red Roof from the highway near Roanoke and pulled in. Big Mistake.I should have known when I entered and asked the desk clerk if the rooms had been renovated she said yes but she didnt know how recently that I should have left!!The carpeting in the hallway on the way to my room smelled strongly of ammonia and the carpeting in my room is filthy and worn. I am not taking my shoes off. If I had socks small enough for my dog and he would keep them on I would put them on him too. The room has a weird smell and I immediately opened the window, which is better but the highway noise is very loud and I am on the 1st floor so I am going to have to close it before I go to sleep.All the other Red Roofs I have stayed in have a microwave, fridge and coffee maker. Not here! I had to lug the ice chest in. I asked to see another room and I went to see one on the 2nd flr. but it was just as bad- plus upon exit from the elevator to see the room the area to the left was full of rubble where somewater damage seemed to have occured near the ice machine.The mess was just left there and not cleaned up. Charming.Plus to top it off they are charging $65 for this piece of crap room and even if the room was decent it should not be no more that $49.If I was planing on staying here more than one night I would have left but at 10pm I just figured grin and bear it for the night. The sheets look clean but I dont even wan to shower in the bathroom. It looks ok but smells vaguely of urine. Yuck.DO NOT STAY HERE!
I. I have learned that there are inconsistencies becuase the chain involve company owned properties as well as some that are franchised ( which I am sure this one is). I see this hotel as false advertising since theRed Rook room directory presents a branding image on the fron cover that is not conistent with what is in this property. It also talks about the $250 million in renovations that the chain has recently spent.I am taking the Red Roof Directory that states which hotels have been renovated with me on my travels. I am also calling Corporate Guest Relations tomorrow and demanding my money back.I will be hesitant to stay at any more Red Roofs on my way back west after this experience even though I am a Redicard frequent guest member. I also will ALWAYS CHECK TRIP ADVISOR NO MATTER HOW LATE IT IS!- and you should too.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Farmville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

I am glad that I did not read some of the reviews before we stayed in Troutville Red Rood Inn. We have a great experience with this property. Nice clean large room. We did not use the pool. We had our two Yorkies with us and our room was great. I did not feel that we were given a "less" room because of the dogs. Very pet friendly!!!! Which is why we choose Red Roof in the first place. We will be going back to this property in a few weeks!!!!! Great service at the front desk by the young lady that was on her own for the first time that night!!!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Benton, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

My son and I were traveling back to Southeast TN from Lancaster, PA and stopped for the night in Troutville. I was exhausted and just wanted a place to shower and sleep. I stopped at 3 other hotels before the Red Roof Inn. The prices ranged from $90 to $120 for the night. Red Roof was able to give me a discount because I am a teacher and I ended up only paying about $60 total for my stay. We had a king room. The first thing I noticed were all of the dogs....not your average mutt, but very weird dogs. We talked to a lady in the elevator who told us there was a dog show and Red Roof was the only pet friendly hotel. Our room was very clean, smelled nice, and was comfy. My son wanted to swim and I wanted to sit in the hot tub, so we went down to check it out. The pool was hotter than any bath I have ever had and the hot tub was colder than bathwater...don't know if it's always that way or if it was just a fluke, but there ya go. We did hear a bit of yapping from a couple of lap dogs, but nothing I couldn't sleep through. Very nice staff.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Baton Rouge, LA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

Checked in early in the afternoon. Moved the car to the backside of the hotel near our room. Walked past some ladies walking their dogs- didn't think much of it. Opened the side entrance door and the smell almost knocked me over!! I have 5- count 'em FIVE dogs myself but this smell was just horrible!!! My daughter and I had to hold our breath whenever we had to go out into the hall. It smelled bad in the afternoon, after we returned from dinner, later that night when I had to go get ice and early the next morning when we went to breakfast- I do not know if anyone even attempted to take care of the smell.
Inside the room seemed fine, although it was hot. The AC cooled it down quickly. The fridge was a nice touch.
At bedtime I pulled down the blankets and there was a flea in my bed. My daughter discovered a grand daddy long leg in the bathroom. She was afraid to take a shower and I itched all night long.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Clinton, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

We stayed at the Red Roof Inn at BWI airport in December and were very pleased. That's why we picked this hotel. It's disgusting! We reserved a business N/S room just like we had in MD. This room doesn't have a refrigerator, microwave or in room internet access (wired or wireless). The website states it does. When my husband called to make the reservations, they didn't tell him this was a sub-standard facility. The carpet in the room is filthy. I don't dare walk on it in bare feet. Yes, we brought our dog just like we did in MD. this shouldn't mean we get the worst rooms!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

Former Fairfield Inn, not a regular motel style....Very clean, accepts pets at no charge...convenient to airport and shopping....a good choice

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Ferrum, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

My wife and I stayed here the Tuesday after Memorial Day with our small dog. The first room we arrived in had dirty sheets, so we requested a new room. The second room seemed to be cleaner. The fitness center was closed and I am pretty sure I can jump from the edge of the pool and touch the other side…… very small. The hotel was quiet and the front desk was friendly. Domino’s delivers and was better than most Domino’s I’ve ordered from. Cracker Barrel right next door with a dirt walking path that looks like a deer track in the back to get to it or you can drive the .1 miles. This isn’t the hotel for a vacation, but it will work for an overnighter.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Red Roof Inn Roanoke - Troutville? Share your experiences!