“A good stopover.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Troutville
Melbourne
“A good stopover.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Travelling along the Blue Ridge Parkway , we stopped here for one night 28 August 2013
Had room 221. Lovely, quiet, peaceful.
A really nice pool and spa on the ground floor.
At $64.00 including all taxes, we considered this a good overnight stay.

Room Tip: You'll love the pool !
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Building & grounds nice. Lobby, pool, breakfast area & hallways immaculately kept. Our room....improvements needed. Walked into a stale smelling, too warm room. Turned on the AC which helped some but never really cooled the room down. Rugs were nasty looking, dirt spots, stains, paint spots. Either spackle dust or tile grout dust was caked in the corner of the bathroom. Mattress on bed was uncomfortable. Bed spreads had greasy spots on them and pillows uncomfortable and generally nasty looking. We have stayed in many Red Roofs and for the most part have been happy. This place isn't awful but a little more attention to the rooms could make it outstanding. If the cleaning staff took a road trip to Johnson City, TN, they would know what an immaculate Red Roof is all about.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Roswell
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I have stayed here 2-4 times a year for almost 10 years and the rooms always had a body oder smell to them and now it's gone.

The place looks better than ever and everything works.
Keep up the good work

Room Tip: This is a pet friendly place and they seem to like the first floor. Not a problem, but could be nois...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Virginia Beach, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

First off we read a review from may about a stink bug infestation but we figured since its late September that problem should have been resolved.....or should it? Well it wasn't! We found several stink bugs were still residing in the room. One on the wall....we let it slide. A second hiding in the curtains....getting annoyed. Third on the door jamb....now we're aggravated. So we tell the front desk about this and the reply amazes us. "They're just stink bugs they wont hurt you. We have them in our houses here. Only way to get rid of them is to use a shop vac." Seriously.....how about an exterminator? This was a horrible situation but they switched us rooms and we did a room search for bugs and found none. After a long day we came back and went to swim in the pool except that something else had the same idea......someone threw up in the pool and didn't tell anyone. Good thing was the overpowering smell of chlorine hid the gross smell of vomit now contained in the skimmer net. This was by far the worst stay at any hotel we have ever experienced. I will never stay here.....or possibly any red roof inn again.

Room Tip: Check into a different hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Troutville hotels

Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We were driving from upstate New York to Asheville, NC, an 800 mile trip which required a stop overnight en route at a motel which would allow a dog. Roanoke was pretty close to half-way, and several chain motels had billboards. We priced a couple of others, and found this to be significantly less expensive, especially with the charge for having a pet in the room. As far as I could tell, there was no compromise on quality or amenities for the lower price. The staff at the front desk were polite, helpful and friendly. The hot tub and pool were relaxing after a day in the car. The room was very spacious, immaculately clean, nicely decorated and up to date. I've paid more for much less appealing rooms, even in this same brand name.

The location was convenient for getting on the Blue Ridge Parkway for the second day of our trip, which was a nice change from Interstate 81.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Rockville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Labor Day evening was a great time to check into this hotel. As the friendly desk clerk told me, "The hotel was full with the Labor Day crowd until this afternoon, when everybody left. There's hardly anybody here now. You can have your pick of rooms." As I had brought a cat with me, the clerk said, "Let me find you a good room. I'll get you one on the ground floor near an exit to the parking lot." I was able to park my car right by the exit, so that it was easy for me to bring in my suitcases and cat care items.

The nighttime desk clerk was a delight. She wanted to see my cat, so I put the carrier on the counter. The clerk then showed me a picture of her dog, and told me about her special pet. Along with the hotel's "pets welcome" policy, it was nice to encounter a desk clerk who so obviously enjoys animals -- other people's pets as well as her own.

I was surprised and pleased to find that the clerk had given me a "handicap access" room. This style of room is much larger than an ordinary hotel room and has a very generously-sized bathroom. (I have stayed in ROOMS that were smaller than that bathroom -- an incredibly cramped hotel room in New Orleans' French Quarter comes to mind.) There was plenty of room to put the cat's litter pan on one side of the bathroom, near the toilet, and her food and water on the other side by the sink. The cat carrier went in a corner of the bathroom, & still there was plenty of open floor space, and plenty of room for me and my things.

The room had a comfortable king-sized bed, small refrigerator, large flatscreen TV, microwave, dresser (with plenty of drawer space), desk table (with -- surprise! -- a wide drawer), desk chair, and side chair. Flanking the bed were two nightstands. One nightstand contained the phone, alarm clock, and a wall light, while oddly, the other one was completely bare, without even a light. I did not understand why the nightstand nearest the window had no light. I wondered if perhaps that had something to do with my reservation for a "Universal Business King Room." Does that mean that the hotel expects only one person to occupy the room, and to choose the side of the bed nearest the bathroom?

The ventilation system was noisy and very cold, no matter where I set the temperature for the air conditioning. After two hours, I gave up and turned it off. Noises from the hall were then audible, but as the hotel had few occupants, everything was quiet most of the time. Even though the outdoor nighttime temperature was about 82 degrees, the hotel room stayed cool and comfortable.

My cat was intrigued by the hotel room, and as cats do, she circled the room several times, sniffing everything. I wondered if other pets had been in this room, but if they had, i could not tell. The room and the bed were clean and odor-free, and there were no stains on the carpet.

The only negative thing about the room was that the shower stall needed a new floor. I noticed that its vinyl (?) flooring was cracked. As soon as I stepped into the shower, I found out why: the flooring was not adequately supported from underneath, as it gave slightly under my feet, so that was why it had cracked. Other than the cracks in the shower stall flooring, the bathroom was scrupulously clean. (An amusing note: in this particular room, the hot and cold water faucets are reversed on the sink!)

I would heartily recommend this hotel for people travelling with pets. There is no extra charge for bringing a pet with you. If you have a dog, the hotel is surrounded by lawns edged with wild-looking greenery, with plenty of pleasant space to take your dog for an interesting walk or romp.

As for the cat's elimination needs, I brought a litter pan and a large garbage bag to use as litter pan liner. I put the litter pan inside the garbage bag, drew the drawstrings in a bit, pressed out the extra air from the bag, and tucked the open ends under the litter pan. I poured in just enough litter for the night. Before we left the next day, I opened the drawstring on the garbage bag & turned the bag back over the litter pan and then off of it, so that the litter was inside the garbage bag. I then left the garbage bag (tied shut) in the bathroom trash can. Very neat, no mess.

There are many restaurants near the hotel, all within easy driving distance. When I checked into the hotel, the desk clerk gave me a list of restaurants that contained directions to each one. Because the directions to the Cracker Barrel said it was "next door," I opted to walk there, but that was not a good idea; if I had to do it again, I'd drive, because although the restaurant is just over a hill from the hotel, and on the same side of the road, there are no sidewalks, and I had to walk on the shoulder of a busy road. I can't say that the desk clerk didn't warn me, because she said she would drive to this restaurant, not walk!

Overall, this was a pleasant overnight stay at a hotel with a convenient location, just off Exit 150 on I-81. Getting to the hotel, and then back to the freeway, was very easy.

Room Tip: My handicap access room was on the ground floor at the front of the hotel (Room 112). This was a fi...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Englewood, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I had been away and was traveling home. I had my dogs with me and we were tired, exhausted. We stopped for the night and once we entered our room it was as if we entered a little peace of heaven. A nice, quiet night, desk clerk was polite and helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to Red Roof Inn Roanoke - Troutville? Share your experiences!