“Delightful evening” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A riverfront gourmet oyster tasting house featuring the celebrated farms of Rappahannock Oyster Company. Also enjoy 4 craft brews on tap, dozens of world-famous wines and bottled beers, and an always-changing menu of small-plate delicacies.
RICHMOND
“Delightful evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

It is very casual and the food (seafood) very well prepared. The staff is very efficient and the view is fantastic. You will be seating very near the Rappahhanock River, which is beautiful!

Visited October 2012

Chesapeake
“Great, fresh seafood in a small package”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Following a recommendation from our inkeeper at the Chesapeake Inn in Urbanna, we arrived the place a little after 4 on Saturday afternoon and sat at the bar inside. The bartender wasn't initially very attentive but picked up that we were serious and not just another couple tourists wanting to soak up the local flavor. I had the mixed 1/2 dozen oysters and followed up with another half of the Old Salts. Very fresh and tasty and they were shucked in front of us. I also had the scallops which were outstanding. My wife had the Wagu beef and cheddar sliders, ordered medium well. The first order showed up clearly medium rare and were returned to the kitchen. The second order came to us correctly cooked but missing the cheddar. They tasted fresh off the grill and the bacon jelly added the needed moisture but the cheese would've been nice too. I had a bottled Flying Dog Angry B!tch and a draft Scrimshaw Ale. Both went well with the food. All in all, a great place with uber-fresh seafood. The "small bites" is just that and you shouldn't expect a meal in one dish.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Richmond, Virginia
“A Great Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

So glad the owners of The Inn at Tabb's Creek steered us in the direction of this restaurant. I had read great reviews, but nothing really prepared me for how good the food would really be. The couple we met at the Inn the night before raved about this place. We started out with roasted and raw Rappahannock oysters. Those little morsels were the best I've ever eaten. It is kind of funny because I usually will not eat raw seafood...in fact, I never do, but I am so glad I did. We also ordered a crab cake, BBQ shrimp and grits, and a grilled Caesar salad...all were outstanding. I have been dreaming about what we had to eat ever since. I can't wait to go back! The restaurant is not a fancy building, but it is just the kind of place we like. If you are looking for a unique waterfront experience while eating some of the best seafood ever, go here, you will not regret it.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington, DC
“Best kept secret on the NN!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Was told about this restaurant last summer by some friends and just didn't get a chance to get there!! Am so sorry to have wasted all that time not enjoying the great food and service Merrior has to offer! Had the roasted oysters, what a treat, steamed clams, and crab cake. As a native Marylander, the crab cake was superb. Very sweet and succulent. My husband had the shrimp and grits which was also great. In an area with limited dining, and some not so good, this is a real gem. The service was great, and the view can't be beat. Had a local glass of chardonnay which complimented the oyters well. My husband was sisappointed not to have ordered the flight of beer, opting for a pint instead, but he will next time......

• 5 of 5 stars Food
N Chesterfield
“A shack on the river with succulent oysters”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

The revival of the Virginia oyster, as promoted by the Croxon cousins at the Merroir Tasting Shack on Locklies Creek just off the Rappahonnock River (after the many year demise of the VA oyster) brings back those who care more about taste and the succulent bivalve than the venue of the restaurant. These cousins have captured a revival of one of Virginia's lost jewels, the lowly oyster, and paired it with tastings of wine, unique beers on tap, and some of the 5 star chefs' best sauces paired to the "old salties" and other 2 choices of oysters (based on salinity).
Drive down to Locklies Marina in "downtown Topping" and park next to the piers (if you can find room beside the Mercedes, Lexus, and others who know this is a great place to go). Merroir is just in its beginning stages, watch it grow as other discover it.

Visited January 2013