“Just ok” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Grey Horse Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in The Plains
Prices are for rooms, adults
Ranked #1 of 1 The Plains B&B and Inns
Ashburn, Virginia
“Just ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

The Grey Horse Inn is a very nice old home nicely situated in The Plains, VA. We found the house nice and clean with plenty of charm. We have an expectation of very good service and warmth when staying at a B&B versus a hotel. Sadly, we did not find those things at this Inn. Administratively, the owner John does not have it together. Don't try to cancel on day 10 prior, you will not get a refund. I did get a certficate good for six months. Room arrangements were adjusted to a lesser room only to find out the Inn was completely empty for the weekend and we ended up with the correct room. Restaurant reservations were suppose to be made, only to show up at the restaurant and have no reservation (fortunately they accommodated at this very busy restaurant). As for warmth, the owner's young son is trying hard and is very nice; he seemed to be the only one working. John and his wife didn't even come to say hello and were in the next room within sight when we arrived. The only time he came out was to say that the complimentary wine was a red and sherry although he would sell me a white bottle (we like Entrada $5...but they needed to open a bottle anyway) . Breakfest is not even close to gourmet (cheese omlet, scone and cantelope). It was fair food, but could get similar at a local diner.
On the good side, the rooms were nice and comfortable and we did enjoy the very small town of The Plains. It is convinient to the DC area. If your looking for a nice place to stay with a hotel atmosphere, this may suit you. There are many other options in the area within 35 minutes, we will stay in Middleburg or head out to the west a bit in the future.

Room Tip: Pick a room over the garden /deck if it is warm
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
EllenHearty, Owner at The Grey Horse Inn, responded to this review, April 5, 2011
We do not normally respond to reviews whether good or bad. We appreciate all reviews even those that are not necessarily "positive." We appreciate any feedback because it helps make us better. However in this case (Just OK), we feel that some explanation is necessary because the issues were with me and not specifically with the rooms or the Inn.

The reveiw noted that "John" the owner was either absent or did spend much time with the guests. The guests were unaware that I was fighting a major league cold and felt it was best to limit interaction with guests for obvious reasons. It might have seemed to them that I was avoiding them. I was not and in hind sight, we probably should have mentioned something to them.

In regards to the issue of the wine. The Inn offers unlimited complimentary red wine, sherry and port. We do not advertise this nor is included in the price of the room. We do it because guests enjoy this unanticipated benefit when they arrive. I don't know of another Inn in the region that offers this. We do have a wine list from which guests can make purchases including a good bottle of white wine for $10...just above our costs.

Finally, our cancellation policy is cleary stated to all guests. If you cancel within 10 days and we are unable to fill the room you loose your deposit. We however provide a full gift certificate to guests for use at another time. If we fill the room, we provide a refund. We understand that things happen that makes it impossible for guests to stay with us and we make every effort to find another date for their stay.

As we stated at the outset....we appreciate all reviews good or bad. Our goal is to provide every guest with a "over the top" experience. When we do not, we learn and make adjustments. We are fully aware that our business rests on the quality of service we provide and satisfaction of our guests.

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

My husband and I stayed one night at The Grey Horse Inn. The inn itself is impressive if you are looking for charm. The house has been decorated with antiques and provides a very comfortable, relaxing atmosphere. We were the only guests (I think) the night we stayed and it felt like we were at home! The room was clean and spacious with lots of character.

When we arrived Ellen was baking chocolate chip cookies, which we were able to enjoy after a lovely dinner at the Rail Stop Restaurant (a short walk away from the inn). The inn provides complementary wine or sherry if you want to relax in the parlour.

Breakfast was delicious served by John. Be sure to ask about the cranberry scones - yum!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Bath,Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

wonderful ambiance,friendly staff,great food!The most relaxing Inn I stayed at for a long time!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
CHATHAM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2010

My wife and I , unfortunately, had only one night to spend at The Grey Horse Inn. We frequent B&B's often and we both rate Bryan's inn at the very top. Beautifully decorated, wonderful background music, large, comfortable rooms and wonderful sitting rooms with WiFi. An absolutely fantastic breakfast sent us on our way.
We'll be back and we've highly recommended it to our son and daughter-in-law in the D.C. area.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Lexington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2010

We've stayed here many times for family gatherings over the holidays. This Christmas was extra special with the arrival of our first grandchild. John and Ellen were warm and welcoming and made us feel right at home. They were selfless in seeing to our comfort and making sure we enjoyed the very best from the kitchen (I especially enjoyed the homemade iced Christmas cookies). The entire experience exceeded our expectations!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010

I had the most wonderful time when I stayed at the Gray Horse Inn in The Plains, VA. I was welcomed by one of the owners, John when I drove up to this beautiful Victorian home. He took the time to show me around the house that had this wonderful delicious smell of fresh baked cookeies that made my mouth water. Everything was designed in the period of the home and it made it so inviting that I couldn't wait to go to my room.
The room was just what I had wanted. A desk, Queen Bed and of course a warm and cozy bathroom. It was like home. And of course the wine they offered their guests in the parlor in the evenings made the experience that much better. I must say the bed was so comfortable and I had a wonderful nights sleep
In the morning I was served in the dining room delicious food, quiche, bread, fresh fruit, juices and nice hot coffee. Everything was just great.
When I go back to Northern Virginia I know exactly where I am going to stay. Thans so much John!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

we spend time with another couple,and we really like this place,John the host was tell us whats around ,restaurant, winery, (free tasting pass)ecc.
the room were very clean, the bed was very confy ,for quite time you can enjoy the two living room with a glass of wine or sherry ,breakfast time was very satisfing
All of us decide definetly to come back for more
Massimo ,Eva

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to The Grey Horse Inn? Share your experiences!