“No room inside” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Rail Stop is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in The Plains
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Route 245
Great Falls, Virginia
“No room inside”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Well it was a nice sunny Sunday afternoon when we stopped over for lunch. Inside was jam packed and waiting staff was super busy during late lunch hours. The place was Zakat rated so we wanted to try it. We ended up sitting outside which was a bit chili, so we just ordered coffee and french toast and make it fast affair. Since they were understaffed they only offered us a takeout option for service (cups, plates and silverware was takeout type). No problem -- we understood their dilemma. Staff was very friendly and tried their best to manage a difficult situation. Judging from how busy the place was in this historic, quaint little horse country town, my hunch is the place serves good food and I plan to go there again based on the french toast experience only :-)

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Madison, VA
“Delicious food and excellent service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We were greeted in a very welcoming way by Diana, who also became our waitperson. The restaurant has a wonderful atmosphere, and Diana seated our party of six family members at a cozy corner table (tactfully arranged as the number in the party had changed without notice). We all ordered different meals. My husband and I had what I believe was the most delicious chicken - pan seared with a wonderful sauce - I've ever tasted! My meal was accompanied by a warm spinach salad dressed with butter sauce, mushrooms and smoked bacon - DElish!

One of our daughters had a problem with part of her dinner missing, but Diana quickly provided her with an addition that brought her meal to her satisfaction. In addition, I had told the person who took our reservation that I have an allergy to cayenne or other hot peppers. Not only did that person make a note on our reservation, but Diana very sensitively asked when we sat down who had the allergy and made sure what I ordered was safe for me to eat.

All in all, it was a wonderful, fun evening. Diana was extremely attentive throughout, and we made a plan to return for a family dinner "same time next year." But - we all knew we would return much sooner than that. For me, that chicken is calling my name!! FIVE STARS! Annie

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Falls Church, Virginia
“Good stop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

This was our second visit and mirrored the fist. The food was very good and I particularly liked the duck. My wife ordered the lobster dish which was a little bland and she started with a gazpacho suop that was a lottle to spicy for her but was just right for my taste. One of our friends had the scalops which he throughly enjoyed.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Springfield, Virginia
“Food 10, Looks 3”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

Great little place in The Plains. The decor is a little more downscale than quaint, but it's got a nice local feel to it. And the food is great!! I had the French toast, made with rich whole wheat bread studded with pecans. My companion had an eggplant dish that was spectacular - rich with color and flavor. Excellent!!

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Service Slow, Food Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We stopped in this cute little town specifically to have lunch somewhere other than a fast-food chain along an interstate highway. We had not heard of this small restaurant, but it looked cute and the specials looked interesting.

We were there on a Saturday, so maybe the regular staff wasn't on duty. The service was slow, with the two waitstaff spending time leaning on the counter engaged with their cell phones.

The portions were almost laughingly small, I had a crab cake sandwich that was like finger food, but tasty. No one else in our party of four liked their meal.

I know other folks have had a far better experience here, I'm sorry we did not.

Visited July 2013