“Love this Place!!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Love this Place!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I absolutely love this place!! The food and atmosphere is great, Crab Balls are delicious and the Corn Pudding is out of this world! A must do if you visit Tangier!

Latrobe, Pennsylvania
“The best home cooked meal on our whole vacation.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

August 21 2012 Bus trip to Ocean City Md. On the third day was a boat trip to Tangier Island and a meal at Hilda Crockett's Chesapeake House. Can not say enough of how great the food was. Cooked to perfection and the food kept coming out. My son asked me what was my favorite part of the whole trip and i said Hilda Crockett"s Chesapeake House and thats why I'm writing this. If you ever have a chance to go there you won't be disappointed. Thank you Ladies for a job well done and God Bless jerry and Alex

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
all over the world
“Great food, lots of it...lots of mosquitoes too!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I visited Tangier Island, stayed at Hilda Crockett's Chesapeake House for one night in the room just inside the main entrance to this B+B. BIG mistake during the active mosquito months! They obvioulsy flew in each time the Guests came through the door and seemed to congregate in my room! The mosqitoes were everywhere and feasted on me all day and all night-long. Seems there is a tiny, black mosquito that made its way north to the Chesapeake Bay area and it is different than the others since it bites day and night. Purely miserable! The room itself was very basic but clean; the family-style meals were wonderful and were the salvation of the stay. It does not take long to do a bike ride along the island, so if I had to do the trip again, I would go over on the ferry (we rode the Steven Thomas and it was a glorious ride) that leaves Criswell, MD around noon, return the same day a few hours later. It truly is a step back in time and is worth seeing--who knows, with the island's dwindling population, reliance on making a living from fishing, and continuously eroding beaches, it may not be around for long. Very picturesque, food is excellent, ferry ride a highlight of the trip. But, if possible, avoid the height of the 'mosquito season.' Had it not been for the delicious food and unique experience offered by this island, I would have rated the stay as only a "2." Worth seeing, but again, consider a day-trip over and back--you can dine at their restaurant by paying the flat price for your family-style meal.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Macon, Georgia
“Go Hungry or Don't Go!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

The last seating for this restaurant is at five...that was really too early for us. It seemed like we had just finished lunch! We should have gone here at lunch and one of the other restaurants that was open later for dinner. Everything set on the table was delicious. The only item that was not equal in taste quality was the ham. Crab cakes were brought to you individually. We ate two, but might have eaten more if they had been on the table. Everything else was family style in front of you and it tasted like your grandmother had spent all day cooking it. It is fried...so be prepared if your body is not used to fried foods. Would I go again? Yes, but at lunch...although at dinner is was so quiet and low key...I hear that lunch is packed with the day visitors. If I go back...I'll eat lunch here at 11:30 and then dinner at another restaurant closer to 7 and not feel so bloated. Our only complaint was a few shell pieces in the food. I wish I had one of those crab cakes now!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dover, Delaware
“What a meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

A great place to eat. We took the boat ride from Crisfield, Md to Tangier Island. Ride was about an hour and a half. Walked to restaurant. Food was served family style. Crab cakes were wonderful as were the warn- hot from the oven- rolls, corn pudding and pound cake.Cute little island. We then took a 15 minute tour in a golf cart of the island. Its amazing that some people live on the island all year long. Summer would be fun but not the cold winter.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere