“What happened?” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Come visit us at The Surrey House Restaurant & Country Inn. Serving our wonderful customers since 1954 we offer a variety of sandwiches, seafood, steaks, pork and delicious fried chicken. Add to that our homemade pies and desserts served daily and you be enjoying great southern cooking. Take a relaxing (free) ferry ride from the Williamsburg area, or take Route 10 or 31 from the Richmond and Tidewater areas through our beautiful countryside. We look forward to serving you!
Richmond, Virginia
“What happened?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Last time we ate here everything was tasty and reminded us of home cooking. The fried chicken is still the best and the collards tasty, but the hush puppies were inedible. They were either very old or the cook made a big mistake with the recipe. The peanut soup is still good but should have been warmer than room temperature. Come on, Surrey House, you can do better than this.

Visited September 2013

Pulaski, Virginia, United States
“Great Down-Home Virginia Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

This is a sweet little place in a sweet little town just south of the James River. The lady serving us was very friendly and efficient, and the food was very good. Top-notch sweet iced tea, peanut soup, and thinly sliced Virginia ham on fresh rolls. I highly recommend this spot for inexpensive and very tasty Southern food!

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Las Vegas, Nevada
“A very nice family friendly place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

The ferry ride to the island from Jamestown was lots of fun. The food was good but not outstanding. Service was excellent and family friendly. The owner was very welcoming and made us feel very comfortable.

Visited August 2013
Norfolk, Virginia
“Not Close To Bring as Good as it Once Was”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

I've been here a half dozen times over a decade or more. I use to lave their peanut soup but not this time; it had overtones of vinegar. The collards seemed out if a can and heavily diced. I will not recommend but the wait staff were okay.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Newport News, Virginia, United States
“First Impression was Horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I called ahead to be verify that they were open for lunch and that there wasn't a dress code. While on the ferry, I ran into two families from Florida and recommended this restaurant from the online reviews. That will never happen again. When I arrived, I was told I couldn't park my motorcycle out front. So I moved it to the rear parking. Once inside, I had plenty of time to look around and see the place. (My son owns a fine dining restaurant in Virginia Beach, so I always critique places I go). It had a musty smell and looked like it hadn't been upgraded since it opened in 1954. I was still looking forward to trying their She Crab Soup and Crab Cake Sandwich, so I waited. Once I was seated, it took forever for a waitress to ask me what I wanted to drink. She also informed that that there was a party of 13 that had just arrived (The Florida Families) and that my wait would be longer than normal. She never apologized for taking so long to come by and contact me. I decided to leave and eat elsewhere.
A couple more things I noticed in my short time there. 1: The menu clearly stated that if you wanted to try a sample of the She Crab Soup, you could. However, if you ordered it and didn't like it, you were still on the hook to pay for it. (You never put a statement like that on a menu. If there are issues, you train your staff and have them inform their party directly by recommending they try it first if they don't know what it is. If it's good, why would one worry about patrons not liking it). 2: As stated previously, the inside of the place didn't look like it had been thoroughly cleaned in over a decade. I fear the kitchen would look the same.
Finally, I regret recommending this place to the visitors I met on the ferry. I will never recommend it again to anyone. When one is treated like I was, one doesn't go back. I cannot judge the food because I didn't make it that far in the experience. I did send them an email via their website. We'll see if they care enough to contact me to explain why I ended up walking out of their establishment. Either way, I will not return.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

If you own or manage Surrey House Restaurant, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.