“Rural Place, Local people, good food” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Come visit us at The Surrey House Restaurant & Country Inn. Serving our wonderful customers since 1954 we offer a variety of sandwiches, seafood, steaks, pork and delicious fried chicken. Add to that our homemade pies and desserts served daily and you be enjoying great southern cooking. Take a relaxing (free) ferry ride from the Williamsburg area, or take Route 10 or 31 from the Richmond and Tidewater areas through our beautiful countryside. We look forward to serving you!
Elgin, Illinois
“Rural Place, Local people, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Nothing to write home about but, if you are in Surry and hungry, this place will be fine. They have a large assortment of sandwiches and a couple of soups. Food is OK but the experience is good. They have many 'rules' which we fund humorous and appreciated... like no yapping on your cell phone... go outside and... don't allow your kids to go running around. You know... common courtesies that so many 'adults' do not have anymore.

Visited May 2013

Richmond, Virginia
“Fast Service, Good Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I visited the Surrey House restaurant for lunch with 22 friends while on a tour of Surry County, Virginia. We had reservations for 1:15, but arrived at 1:45. We were trying to catch the 3:30 ferry from Surry to Jamestown, and I was afraid we wouldn't make it in time. I was wrong. Everyone ordered off the menu, selecting items from peanut soup and chef's salad to a full-course seafood dinner, and everything in between. Service was almost immediate - I don't understand how the staff there did what they did, but our meals arrived long before expected, and the food was very good. AND - we caught the ferry right on time! Bravo to the owners and staff!

Visited April 2013
North, VA
“Great Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I took my elderly mother on the Jamestown-Scotland Ferry when she was visiting and then over for lunch at the Surrey House. They have the most fabulous she-crab soup!!!
If you have never had she-crab soup before make sure you take them up on their offer to taste before you order.
Their soup is very rich and a it spicy, just the way we like it.
The staff is very attentive and friendly.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Richmond, Virginia
“Good local restaurant for lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

My wife and I stopped for lunch before touring historic homes. The staff were very friendly and attentive. My wife had reuben sandwich and I had a club. We shared a cup of peabut soup Both of the sandwiches were very tasty but the soup was the star of the meal The fires were coated and were outstanding. Would definitely return if in the area.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Hico, WV
“Cozy, country food and overnight stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

My husband and stopped into check into our room at Surry House before heading over to Chippokes Plantation State Park. The owner gave us a genuine welcome and directions to the park. We came back to dinner. My husband had a ham and cheese sandwich with fries that looked delicious and I had a GENEROUS golden brown helping of popcorn shrimp, stewed tomatoes, and collard greens with homemade hushpuppies. Generous portions and great country food. The entire bill came only to about $25.00 (including a 20% tip).

The Surry House also has hotel lodging behind the restaurant. For just $70.00 per night (tax included) we had two full sized beds, a tv, tub/shower, microwave, fridge, tables/chairs, comfy towels and extra blanket. It was decorated in an old fashioned sort of way that reminded me of my folks back home. Most importantly, the room was warm, which was good because it was one of those bone chilling March nights outside.

Talk about an affordable vacation close to Jamestown and Chippokes and a comforting place to travel on business!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

If you own or manage Surrey House Restaurant, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.