“Consistently great food.” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Vintage Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 127 Restaurants in Suffolk
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Bar, Wine Bar
Good for: Romance, Doing business
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bridge Road / Route 17
Description: Now open since April, 2006, Vintage Tavern at Governor's Point is owned by Brian and Teresa Mullins. Located in the hunting and fishing community of Northern Suffolk, Virginia the restaurant features 'Seasonally Southern' fare. The menu highlights the best of local and regional Southern dishes and recreates them with authenticity and passion. We are committed to maintaining the food history and culture that makes our community so special. Other features include a dramatic open kitchen, two dining areas both with fireplaces, an outdoor fire pit, outdoor dining on the covered veranda and a 400 plus selection wine list. The perfect place to celebrate a birthday, anniversary or any special occasion. Voted #1 by Hampton Roads magazine 2012 Platinum Plate Awards. Recognized by Open Table as one of America's Top 50 Restaurants in 2009 and 2010, and by Sante magazine for Wine Hospitality in 2010.
Virginia
“Consistently great food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Vintage Tavern does not serve the most creative food in the area. Vintage Tavern does not push the boundaries of culinary whimsy. Vintage Tavern does not disappoint.

This place serves very well executed classic "local" fare. Flounder over spoon bread. A seafood muddle. A decent crab cake. Nothing earth shattering - but it never, ever misses its mark.

One note of constructive criticism..... Chef, please watch those oysters in the fryer. Mine had been fried so long and hard that nothing - and I do mean nothing - but breading remained of most. The oysters simply evaporated. A disappointment.

Deserts are old favorites - banana pudding anyone? They are well executed and are consistent with the overall theme and feel of this place.

Service is consistently friendly and attentive.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Chesapeake, Virginia
“Glad VT Is Nearby”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Our latest trip to VT was for bar food and drinks with a good friend to catch up on life. Service was great as usual, the Tavern fish fry (flounder) was excellent, but the crab and corn chowder was not as rich as I make at home as I tend to use a lot of cream !!!!! My wife had pork belly with a fresh peach salsa for an appitizer, which was fabulous, and also had the Tavern fish fry.

My wife and I come here often as it is only 15 minutes from our home, as it is where we want to go when we are happy, sad, need to see a friendly face, want great food, or need an excuse to get out of the house. We have experienced a personal 7-course food and wine pairing for my birthday, my Mom's 100th birthday party, needed martini's after a friends wake, the annual Pork and Pinot VT birthday party in April, many anniversaries, and just to be pampered. After reading some of the reviews here, I finally decided to give my humble opionion of the place as I figured I was pretty much an expert.

The service is top notch, starting with the Bryan the General Manager. Joe is a great Executive Chef, and Suzanne is the best bartender I have come across. The waitstaff is experienced and attentive even when busy. The food may be expensive to some, but the quality is top notch. The $45 buffalo rib eye is the best cut of meat I have ever had....so I guess you get what you pay for. Their menu motto is 'seasonally southern', and that is indeed what they do. This fact somewhat limits the menu, as they buy local whenever possible, including soft shell crabs from the nearby Nansemond River. I personally have never left hungry, and have never had a meal served without veggies and a starch included, even though you can purchase salads, soups, and other veggie sides a la cart. And if you are a pork lover as I am, this is the place to go. Suzanne even offers blue cheese and Benton bacon stuffed olives for our martini's. As a certified foodie and home chef, I have copied and perfected many of their offerings and they are staples in our meal rotations....the sauteed lump crab over homemade corn pudding is a must, as are the salads with seasonal fruit, various cheeses and nuts, Surryano ham, and complementary vinegarettes. And the wine list is phenominal !!!!!! Made-on-site desserts by Kenny are first-class, but are often an after thought for us as we are normally stuffed by the end of the meal. The outside area is beautiful and a must-see, and a glass of port by the fire pit in fall is a perfect way to end an evening. The decor is classy and warm with wood paneling and stone, and the inside stone fireplace adds nice ambiance in the fall and winter.

All in all, Vintage Tavern is our perfered fine dining establishment, and we are so thankful that it is close to home.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Norfolk Virginia USA
“Overall the food and atmosphere were great.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I visited with a friend for my birthday for what was probably my sixth visit there since they opened some 6+ years ago. We had the crab Norfolk appetizer (simple, local, and unadulterated) before moving to entrees. My friend had soft shell crabs which he proclaimed to be great but not the very best he had ever eaten. My pork trio dish was sumptuous with each preparation being distinctly different. Service was great, friendly, and just right. Accompaniments were all well seasoned and of adequate size. Drinks were prepared exactly according to expectations. The menu was good although it had changed little since I was last there some 7 months ago so that would be my only real negative. They still have their eyes on food quality and exemplary service. Rick was a real pro, being many levels above your typical waiter. I had high expectations going back and they did not disappoint.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
“Vintage Tavern way too over priced”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Tonight was our wedding anniversary and thought we would try some place different. We live in Norfolk and have lots of wonderful restaurants in our city; howver, we had heard that this place had a great selection on their menu. We went online to review their wine list and dinner menu. To our amazement, they did not have the wines by the glass that they offered on their website and their menu was a bit different as well. The bison was a whopping $45.00 with no sides, and the seafood boil that was a special that night was $29.00. The servings were very small and the food was not any better than what we can get at No Frill for less than half the price with any side that we would like. Very disappointing and surprised how they can stay in business. It must be that the people who go there do not know any better. The building itself is very beautiful; but I must say that the carpet, chairs and nice tables do not make a restaurant, Im afraid. We will NOT go back, as our bill was almost $80.00 for one drink, and no appetizers or salad. We are not big eaters, but both left hungry....and I guess I should since essentially,I paid $30.00 for a small child size bowl of seafood soup.....It had small amounts of shrimp, sausage, and crawfish with corn. Yeah that was some pricy soup.....

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Lynchburg, Virginia
“Nice Place with Friendly Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I visited restaurant last Monday 6/11/12 with a party of three.
Drinks are great! Food good but limited menu.
Overall it's a nice place for dinner and drinks.
They have entertainment on the patio on Thursdays.

• Visited June 2012