“Great hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Great hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We have stayed at this property on several occasions, as we have family who lives in the area. The rooms are always clean, the breakfast is delicious and the staff goes above and beyond to make us comfortable. On our last trip there we needed a crib for our room for our infant, and I called that morning to tell them...they told us it was no problem and the crib was set up in our room when we arrived late that night (making it easy to put the little one down!). We also enjoy the fact that this hotel has a gym on site.

We will continue to stay at this property on our visits to suffolk.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Great hotel experience. Would stay here again. Rooms were clean, staff very helpful. Enjoyed their breakfast. In a great area, close to everything we needed. Highly recommend staying here while in Suffolk.

• Stayed December 2012
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I stayed here for one night to just get away and it was wonderful. The Front Desk was very polite and friendly. Check in and Check out went smooth. Breakfast was great as well. It was great to get away and be able to relax for a night

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ljubljana, Slovenia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I chose this property because of 3 factors: located where I needed to stay overnight, good reviews here and their web page said: "cedar Sauna for guest use". I am a big sauna fan, so I was looking forward to enjoying it after a long day as well as enjoying this property.
Check-in was friendly, although confused, the girl recognized me as a Platinum PC member and offered and upgrade to a king-suite, which I gladly accepted. I asked until when can I use the sauna and at first the girl reacted as if she didn't know they had one, after which she said "until 10 or so, I guess". So I went to the fitness center where the sauna was and there was a paper posted on its doors "out of order". Firstly it would be fair if they posted this information on their webpage (I doubt it went out of order that very same day) and secondly the front desk should know about the working condition about their amenities.
Disappointed I got to my upgraded king-suite and there came more disappointments: the suite was so dusty I can not recall ever getting such a dusty hotel room. All the furniture was visibly covered in dust! I suspect the suite is not occupied often, but this can not be an excuse to keep it unclean, especially since they offered it to me as an upgrade. Moreover the carpets were poorly vacuumed, the sitting pillows of the leather sofa were badly torn along the zip line and the paint was peeling off from the bathroom ceiling. There was a gas fire place in the suite, so I was looking forward to watching a movie with the fire burning, but guess what? It was "out of order".
I went out for some shopping and when getting back I couldn't find the hotel anymore in the dark. I thought I made the wrong turn somewhere, but actually the property was there in complete darkeness, no lights in the parking lot, even the HIE sign was not illuminated.
In the morning I wanted to have pancakes for breakfast, but gues what? The breakfast machine was "out of order".
I completely understand that things break down, wear and tear, but they should be promptly maintained, repaired, replaced. It is very sad to see an otherwise nice HIE property to start going down the path of negligence and poor management.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed two nights at the Holiday Inn Express and had a great stay. This hotel was clean, quiet, and had extremely comfortable beds. The decor in the lobby and rooms seemed fresh and up-to-date. We forgot toothpaste and the front desk was more then happy to provide us with a tube.

They provided a hot and cold free continental breakfast with an extensive spread. It was well maintained by hotel staff as well.

Nice stay and easy to find. There is a Ruby Tuesday attached to their parking lot if you need a restaurant.

I would return and recommend.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Tarpon Springs, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed here 3 night while attending a high school reunion and found the property to be a nice stay. The exterior was well maintained and well landscaped and attractaive. There was plenty of parking and check-in was quick and efficient. The property was clean and attractive and the free breakfast area was clean and well provisioned. They had something for every one including fresh fruit, eggs, bacon and sausage biscuits. All of the staff we met were friendly and helpful. On the second day of our stay our room was not cleaned and when this was reported housekeeping had left. The manager personally came to our room and apologized and brought us fresh towels, soap, etc and emptied the trash. Apparently the housekeeper cleaning the room next door noticed our do not disturb hanger and went on to another room. Apparently she did not come back but the manager's quick attention to the problem was certainly appreciated. We really enjoyed our stay here. Also, there is a Ruby Tuesday right next door for lunch and dinner.

Room Tip: Rooms located on the outer corners of the second and third floor are a little bit larger than the re...