“This is the place to eat!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Smithfield, Virginia
“This is the place to eat!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

My husband and I have found a gem! We have been going here for over a year and when we are trying to figure out where to go we look at each other and say together..."THE PL:AID"! This by far is the best all around place to eat a great meal and relax! The owner Ed is right in the kitchen and knows how to cook and run a great place. He is good at hiring the best as everyone is friendly, professional and eager to please. In the long time we have been going there we notice when someone goes in they are spotted immediately, seated and waited on promptly no matter if they are packed. There is not a bad seat in the house as we have sat in many places. Most of the time we sit in the booths near the bar as we can see the kitchen preparing food, watch the two big screen TVs and see out the windows. They have tables near the window and more on the other side of the booth area that stretches from front to back, as well as a bar with stools, and a bench with tables that goes from front to back along a brick wall. The walls are decorated with local art and there is even a painting of the Breakfast club of older gentlemen that sit at a round table up front in the window and enjoy greeting others as they come in. I met them and they are nice and cute guys in their seventies and eighties. THEY know a good place when they see one. We have ordered breakfast, lunch and dinner here and all meals are prepared as if you are a guest in their home with lots of TLC. Favorites of ours are the breakfasts "Hash it Out" and "Main Street" with fruit or grits, toast (all types of bread) or pancake...the size of the plate! Be prepared to eat a lot if you get the 3 egg omelet as they are the biggest I have ever seen! I usually order the 2 egg and it is large too but whichever way you are getting a great omelet. The grits are not instant which shows they know how to serve good stuff. The fruit is hand selected and is sweet. They have sugar free syrup for the pancakes if you prefer. They are a comfortable, arty café and are original with their names and even have a huge omelet that would feed a family! I mean BIG! For lunch we like the club which is the best club I have ever had, the salad that has bits of corn and sometimes rice noodles of the top, the huge 2/3 pound burger, shrimp basket with huge lightly fried shrimp (Not greasy either) with fries and slaw. For dinner the ribs are great as well as the chef salad for either lunch or dinner. Face it folks there is not a bad meal in the house!!! Everyone raves about this place and we found out about it from the local Smithfield library staff and drive over 30 minutes to go to Suffolk just for this place. We love the atmosphere, service and food and Ed is a pro at what he does! They even took care of wrapping the silverware in two napkins which lets me know people like one napkin for their lap and one to wipe with! That's a small thing but satisfies one of my pet peeves of not giving enough napkins. Prices are great too! He loves his community and works hard to give his best at all times too. Try the Cupcake of the Month Club...6 fab cupcakes each month for 6 months. I've tried the chocolate and the strawberry and both are great! We have gone here and will continue to go long before we knew how much Ed gives to his community and we did this review because we believe in the Plaid Turnip. We have traveled to many places in the United States and tried many places here in Virginia and I cannot say ANYTHING bad about this place so you just have to try it for yourself and see how great it is!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Corapeake, North Carolina
“Love the crab”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

The crab parmesan dip is so delicious that we plan to go back and have this plentiful appetizer for a snack. The service is great and we also enjoy the paintings from local artists on the walls.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Portsmouth, Virginia
“Good Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

This small town restaurant is a favorite of members of my Church. I found the service good and the food was very good. My boss got the barbecue but it was tomato based and not the North Carolina style he was looking for. Another individual purchased the oyster po-boy and was pleased. Another purchased a salad and she was very pleased. It looked very good. I purchased the oyster basket and the oysters tasty and the fries crisp and hot. While as I was not as enamored with it as my Church going friends and would not travel from afar to get there. It is a good restaurant with good food and service.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Pleasantly surprised.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

The first time I went to the Plaid Turnip, about a year ago, my husband and I were under impressed by the food, atmosphere and service. We thought we would give it one more try, and we're glad we did. Our server, Amy was a welcome sight as we knew her from the now closed Plaid Turnip. She was attentive and remembered some of our preferences. We started with drinks, both well made. We had the mahi mahi special which was accompanied by delicious acorn squash, and the Green Tomato and Eggplant Parmesan with pasta which was a sizeable portion as well as tasty.
The only negative remark to make concerns the lighting. The spot lights are a bit intense and bright and could use to be dimmed.Otherwise it was a great experience and we will definitely go back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Beach Park, Illinois, United States
“Storefront gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

My husband and I ate here 3 times during our stay in Suffolk, and the food was very good all 3 times. This restaurant has a mixture of food including southern style entrees as well as a variety including salads, sandwiches, and much more. The salads were very fresh! The waitress was friendly and attentive! They have great iced tea, and the most amazing cupcakes. We found out about the cupcakes when we happened to look to our right when we walked in and saw a case holding them. There are a variety of flavors mostly for chocolate lovers, but we got the one that had banana cake stuffed with strawberries and topped with strawberry frosting and a little chocolate. The flavors all melted together when we ate them. No leftovers! Ambiance is what I would describe as cozy, yet urban, eclectic, and comfortable. We are almost at the end of our trip now and this restaurant stands out as the best one so far.

Visited June 2013