“Bowling Not Included but Basketball & Breakfast a Plus” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #3 of 5 hotels in Strasburg
Northern New England
“Bowling Not Included but Basketball & Breakfast a Plus”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2009

My four kids and I stayed here on our trek from Northern New England down to Georgia. Best feature...breakfast was included in the price and I felt like it was a reasonably nice hotel breakfast with waffle station and they allowed us to have all 5 people in one room at no extra charge. I purposely picked this because of access to indoor HEATED pool, basketball court and bowling alley. All are off site, but nearby. In February it was too cold to walk so we had to drive to it so not too convenient that way. Pool heated...from 40 - 45!!! Don't know the exact temp., but it was COLD!!! Bowling Alley is an extra charge which is not spelled out on the website NOR is it explained at the Ramada Front Desk. Even upon check in, they lump it in with all of the other amenities and don't volunteer the information that it is not "free". I feel that in the interest of full disclosure, they should list it and the fees separately so kids/parents don't get their hopes up only to find out it is an extra charge (which for 5 people does add up). Very disappointed with lack of choices as far as food/gas at that exit. Beds were clean and comfy and the room...by our standards...was adequately spacious. Don't know that I would stay there again, but the pool and the basketball court did give the kids something to do while we were on the road. A bit off the beaten path (from the Interstate) so about the time you think you're lost you come to the hotel. On a scale of 1 - 5, I would give them a rating of 2.5 to 3. Could be better, could be worse. For 5 people traveling together, not a bad value of around $90 with tax for the night (off season) because of the extra things that were free and the breakfast was included.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family

215 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Charlotte, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

This is one of the worst hotels we've ever stayed in. My husband, me, our 20 month old and 2 month old and two small dogs were traveling up to NY from Charlotte, NC to visit family and stopped halfway to get some sleep. We stayed at the Ramada Strasburg based on the fact that they allowed pets. First of all, keep in mind that there are TWO Signal Knob Drives in Strasburg. Well, our GPS took us to the other Signal Knob Drive which was in the middle of nowhere. We actually were led to a dirt road. It would be nice if the hotel could change the street name to avoid this problem in the future.

We arrived on Super Bowl Sunday and my husband checked in. He noted that the worker at the front desk was not friendly or welcoming in any way. We believe her name was Anne. We checked in and noticed that the room was quite spacious, but the bathroom was situated in a really weird way. The door opened in a way that it obstructed a path to the toilet or shower. It wasn't a huge deal, but I thought I'd note this.

After we had unloaded the car and got settled, I asked my husband if he told the front desk about our two dogs, since they charge a pet fee. He said no, so I proceeded to go to the front desk to make sure that was noted on our bill. Well, as I walked up to the front desk, the attendant was reading a book and wouldn't even look up at me and put the book away until I was standing right in front of her. She looked up at me like I was bothering her and didn't say anything. I let her know that we had two dogs and she shortly said she'd add that to our bill. That was it.

I walked back to our room and we got our infant and toddler ready for dinner at the on-site restaurant, Rancho Viejo. This was very convenient. However, we weren't happy with the food or the service. Our waiter had no clue if there were any Sunday specials and he got both our orders wrong. They fixed the mistake promptly.

Once we returned from dinner, we put the babies to bed (not easy in a hotel) and went to sleep at around 9 pm. We had to get on the road pretty early and wanted a good night's sleep. Well, at 10 PM that night we were all woken up by loud, booming noises in the room next door. It even upset my dogs causing them to bark, which they rarely do. After waking up the infant and the toddler, I was not happy. I called the front desk to complain about the noise and was told (by that same front desk attendant from earlier that day) that the people next door to us had just checked in. Keep in mind, this hotel has 71 guest rooms and there were only 10 or so cars in the parking lot. We were very upset that this woman put guests checking in at a late hour right next to a room with small children, who obviously go to sleep early. She could have easily put them in a room two doors down or even on another floor! (We woke up the next morning and there were 5 newspapers on the floor right outside each room on either side of us. It was obvious that the front desk attendant put all the guests clustered together in one area. Why she would do this is beyond me. Obviously she wasn’t using her brain.)

For the next 2-3 hours, we listened to these guests next door bang around and blast their TV. Thankfully, the babies went back to sleep after about an hour. At 1 AM, the dogs started barking again because of the loud, booming noises coming from next door. It almost sounded like these people were kicking the wall or throwing something at it. Again, the babies were woken up and cried and cried from lack of sleep. I got on the phone with the front desk, again, and TOLD HER to call those people and tell them to be quiet. I told her that I was very unhappy with the fact that she put guests right next to us at that late hour knowing that we had children. The woman had the gall to say, "OK" and then proceeded to hang up on me. I was furious!!!!!! I have never been treated so rudely by hotel staff in my life and have stayed in many hotels.

By this point, I was ready to check out, but didn't want to get the kids loaded into the car again at 1 in the morning. I had booked this hotel through Hotels.com, so I called them and told them that I would be refusing to pay my bill at this hotel due to the fact that we got NO sleep. I was told that only the manager or owner could give us a refund and that they weren't on duty at the time. They told me that they'd call the hotel in the morning to see if a refund would be granted. My husband and I got the kids back to bed and tried to get to sleep ourselves.

At about 3 AM we were again woken up by those loud, booming noises next door!!! I woke up, and with my crying infant, marched to the front desk. This time there was a guy working at the front desk. I explained to him what the problem was and he called the people in the room next door. He had no clue that there had been any prior problems. The guests next door, by the way, claimed that they were sleeping. Wouldn't you think that guests in a hotel would be very upset with the front desk waking them up at 3 am? There were no protests from them....because they lied.

We finally got to sleep at around 4 am and slept until 7. I got right on the phone and asked for the manager. That lovely woman from the night before was there again. Lucky us. In a mocking tone, she stated that the manager would not be in until 9:30 am. We didn't have time to wait around, so we got the car packed up, kids belted in and took off for NY. At 9:30 am I called the hotel from the road and asked for the manager. The same woman said, "Hold, please." I was then transferred to Jeri, the hotel manager's, voicemail!!! So, I left a message asking that the manager please call me back and just gave her my phone number. I didn't want to explain the whole story over the phone. Well, we waited and waited and waited and NEVER got a return call back from this Jeri woman. I also called Hotels.com and was told that they had to contact her for a refund and I never heard back from them either. I'm sure it was because "Jeri" refused to give a refund.

After this whole ordeal, we vowed to NEVER stay in a Ramada again. I will be e-mailing my story to Ramada's Corporate Headquarters. I only hope that they let the hotel owner know about his/her horrible, rude staff.

On our way back from New York, we stayed at the Candlewood Suites in Winchester, VA. They allowed dogs, so it was perfect for us. This was one of the BEST hotels we ever stayed in. The staff was extremely nice and accommodating. The room was awesome with a full kitchen and beautiful bathroom. We were in heaven and kicked ourselves for spending only $10 less for the disgusting experience at the Ramada in Strasburg. If you are in the Strasburg area and looking for a hotel, please do yourself a favor and drive the additional miles to Winchester and stay at the Candlewood Suites. It was the best money we ever spent.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
isherwood61
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2008

My wife and I have stayed at this hotel four times and will be staying two or three more times this fall. My wife is working in the area and I have been visiting on the weekends.

The Ramada seems to be the nicest, most reliable hotel in the area that has the amenities of a chain and also allows pets. We have stayed in a regular room, a suite, and the honeymoon suite. The regular room with a king bed is fine while the suite has a little more space for spreading out and spending time in the room. The honeymoon suite is corny, with a heart-shaped Jacuzzi and a round bed. It is not worth the extra $. All of the rooms were clean and quiet, though in the honeymoon suite the Jacuzzi was falling apart. The hm suite is located next to the elevator, which annoyed our dog.

The breakfast is nice, offering the usual cold offerings along with either sausage, eggs, french toast, or waffles depending on the day. Check out is at 11 am, but they allow a late check out for a fee.

The Strasburg Ramada is a decent place to stay. I wish they would get rid of the pro-Confederate paintings that are hanging in the public areas, particularly the one called "Onward Christian Soldiers" that hangs in the lobby. I find these pictures to be racist.

• Liked — Allows pets, clean
  • Disliked — Pro-Confederate Paintings
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Waterloo, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

This hotel worked out very well for us. We were travelling to the Skyline and Blue Ridge Parkway, and left our vehicle at the Ramada Inn and went from there on the motorcycle.
The rooms were very nice, clean, and comfortable beds.
No complaints. Staff friendly and the Mexican restaurant attached had good food . It would have been nice to have the pool connected to the hotel, but no big deal.
Perfect place for our needs.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2008

This is an excellent hotel and better than average value for the money. The rooms and furnishings were clean and new looking. All equipment (TV, clocks, lamps, etc) were in good working order. The restroom had a nice touch with a black marble top, a toilet that worked as it should, and a shower with a very good shower stream. Plenty of parking and located away and below the main road which mitigated any traffic noise. There is a Mexican resturant attached but we found it to be so so. There is supposed to be a real good resturant located in the middle of Strasburg that is supposed to be really good. Think it is attached to the Strasburg Hotel - about a half mile away.

Definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Liked — Great Value
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
SouthShore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2007

Internet wireless: OK - Room: Clean and nice - Bathroom: Clean and nice - Breakfast: Well supplied and attended - Surroundings: Caverns, wine and historical sites, no major stores, good restaurant at hotel and Fast food nearby - Overall feelings: Excellent choice

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Fort Collins, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2007

New hotel with spacious, comfortable rooms at the right price. Ample parking, good location, helpful staff. There's a decent Mexican restaurant attached.

Stayed September 2007

Been to Ramada Strasburg? Share your experiences!