“Only visited the Depot Lounge” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   213 S. Holliday Street, Strasburg, VA 22657   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Strasburg
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Northeast Tennessee
“Only visited the Depot Lounge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

We wanted a place to watch the USA play Portugal and served food. The hotel we booked in did not serve food. We were told about the Hotel Strasburg and the Depot Lounge.
We arrived June 22nd at half time. The lounge had the game on with several other soccer fans.
Service was a little slow, but in all fairness there was only one bar tender (Pat), dealing with all the customers and the match held our interest. We ordered two Black & Blue Burgers, one with Bleu Cheese and Cole Slaw and one with Bleu Cheese and local chips. We washed the food down with a few glasses of wine and beer.
Pat was very polite and accommodating.
The hotel was rather unique from what we saw and the next time in the area we may give it a try. Talked to two Britt’s that were staying there and they enjoyed their stay thus far.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

This is a great hotel, it seem like you are the only one there, but there are plenty of other guests. I love the 3rd floor with the angled ceilings. The front desk is warm and welcoming. I certainly will stay here again, my only complaint is the breakfast on Sunday is not free. All the other days it was, and it was only $10 but I would have gone around the corner to Hi Neighbor if I would have known.

Strasburg is a great place to stay and Cristina's brought in some great music and it is just a few blocks away.

Room Tip: They will let you see all the rooms before you check in. I love the 3rd floor, but they all looked...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Approximately once a month, to retain my sanity, I make a weekend getaway from the Washington, DC area. This was my first visit to Strasburg, Virginia, a small, scenic and peaceful town about 80 miles from my home in Alexandria, Virginia. I made my initial one night's reservation on Hotels.com and then paid for a second night directly to the hotel. The total cost for two nights for one person (I was travelling alone), including tax, was $146.93 - very reasonable for a very small, yet functional and immaculately clean room (number 201) in the rear of the building on the second floor. The room was large enough for one person, not two, the double bed was comfortable, the air conditioning functioned properly, the adequately equipped bathroom and shower were fine (very good water pressure in the shower - always a plus). The small television had a large assortment of cable TV channels. It would be useful to have a small table or desk in the room and the lighting could be a bit better but the room, overall, was to my satisfaction. I do not concur with the recent reviews as I had no problems with my reservation and found EVERYONE on the hotel staff to be cordial, welcoming and efficient. The pub/cafe adjacent to the hotel front desk was good - I had two good meals there - home-style cooking at a very reasonable price. I did not use the more formal dining room on this trip. Service was good in the pub/cafe and once again, everyone was friendly. The hotel has a nice porch to watch the world go by and is located in a quiet residential area but still only a block or two from "downtown." Parking is readily available. Overall, I found my stay to be extremely enjoyable and will most definitely return - Strasburg is not Rio De Janeiro during carnival season and the town closes up early - even on weekends, but if you are looking to relax and take it easy for a day or two - this is a good stop and also well situated to make day trips to other parts of the region. If you are a member of the American Legion, the very friendly Post 77 is a few blocks from the Hotel Strasburg and has drinks and snack-bar style food.

Room Tip: If you are alone, room 201 is a good choice.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

While the setting, the restaurant, and the quaintness of the hotel (interior and exterior) are strengths, we were not very satisfied with several features of this hotel: The hotel does not use a computer, so our hotel reservations (hotel.com) had not been received, and we had to complete the registration again on paper; we were chided by a very unfriendly front-desk clerk about not bringing a paper copy of our reservation----this, in 2014. In our room we had no soap, the towel rack was falling off the wall, and the sheets did not stay on the bed (not fitted), revealing a bare mattress (no mattress pad---eeuuww). Also, we had traveled eleven hours to get to Strasburg, and when inquiring about eating dinner, were told by the snippy clerk that she would give us 30 minutes to eat!! Thanks. Also, we had requested a room on a lower floor, but since the hotel has no computer, they were not able to receive that request (and we were placed on the third floor). No elevator or assistance with luggage for two elderly ladies. Beds=one hard, one OK. Closet----blocked by a very heavy chair. You could do better than stay at this hotel, unless they do some work, especially on customer service! On a positive note, the food in the restaurant was delicious, the waitress was very personable (unlike the front-desk clerk), and we were allowed to stay an hour over our measly 30 minutes! Also, parking lot provided.

Room Tip: BYOS---bring your own soap and a fitted sheet!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Fairfax, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

As I drove to Strasburg on Saturday the 17th, excited about my weekend adventures, I called the hotel and spoke with the manager on duty (Barbara) inquiring about their check in policy. Barbara let me know that someone would be at the desk 24/7 and I could check in at any time; she asked me what my name was in order to prepare for my arrival. As she checked the list of arrivals to our surprise my name was not on the list. I had let her know that I had booked with Expedia and could give her my confirmation number if she needed; she let me know that there had been some errors with booking through Expedia, but luckily they had one room left. I quickly reserved the last room; or so I thought.

As I arrived to the Hotel in the early evening, no one was at the front desk. I rang the bell and was greeted by a young woman with curly blond hair. Again to my surprise my name was not on the list of arrivals and as I explained the situation she said something along the line of, “Oh my manager left me this note, saying she misunderstood your request and thought you wanted to book for another day – do you want to read the note?”. She suggested I stay at the Ramada a couple of blocks away and only gave me the Ramada's phone number when I asked for it, but was unable to provide me with their address. At this point, I was getting upset; the lack of customer service and attention to detail was infuriating.

After that scene, I decided to step outside, call Expedia, and find out what happened (and of course get a full refund). Expedia apologized, refund my money, and gave me a $50 credit towards my next booking. While on hold with Expedia, my friends told me that when the arrived the previous night, The Hotel did not have their reservations on file either - yet they were able to rebook the lost four rooms and had told the front desk on Friday that their other friend (me) was arriving the next morning and made sure to have him reserve me a room at that time. When we questioned the other employee at the desk about that, he told me that his manager came in and erased my reservation. They do not have a computer database, rather a book and a pencil. I do want to note that during the time I was on the phone with Expedia, the front desk agent and the other employee thought it would be appropriate to step outside (right next to me) and share a cigarette. I have worked at two hotels and in no way would that have ever been okay with my management.

I called The Hotel Strasburg this morning and Barbara answered the phone. I kindly let her know that I was displeased with how things were handled this past weekend and thought she would want to know how unapologetic I thought her staff was. While Barbara did apologize, she also rushed me off the phone and told me someone else would call me back to talk about this later; that was a few hours ago. I feel very disappointed with how I was treated by The Hotel Strasburg, but it the end I am glad I did not stay there. My friends did get a room there and I was not impressed; plus the place is haunted. The Ramada Inn down the road was a much better stay and Connie at their front desk was the sweetest! I hope my experience will help someone in the future. Thank you.

Room Tip: Perhaps call every day before your trip to make sure they have a room for you, but still don't g...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Martinsburg, West Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

The hotel itself was a neat experience. The old building was quite charming. The staff however were very unorganized and terribly rude. They did not have our reservation that was made and paid for in March. Luckily they had a smaller room available. Our friends were not so fortunate. Having checked in a day later and being told they would have a room for them, they did not have a room upon arrival. The hotel's solution for their own mistake was for my friend to call a nearby hotel to get a room, they didn't even have the contact information for this other hotel. We will definately not be staying at Hotel Strasburg again, nor would we recommend this hotel to anyone until there is a staff change.

• Stayed May 2014
Max Meadows, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Met family here for a weekend birthday get together and was pleasantly surprised. The rooms are small but very cozy and clean.The bed was quite hard and would benefit from a replacement. The whole hotel is wonderfully decorated. It's a far cry from the everyday chain hotels. Being able to walk out, sit out on the porch and watch the cars go by was nice. Breakfast was good, they even had a yummy walnut apple cake. Staff was very friendly as well. Found a great price on Expedia, which was about half the amount they have listed on their website.

Lunch in the dining room was overpriced for what you get. I could make a better BLT with my eyes closed.

All in all, I would definitely go again if I found a good deal on it.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Strasburg? Share your experiences!