“Very good I-81 choice...” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Strasburg
Wakefield, RI
“Very good I-81 choice...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Directly off I-81 this property now entering it's 5th year and is still in excellent shape. My suite was clean and comfortable- two decent sized LCD TVs, small fridge, microwave. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. Small indoor pool and whirlpool. There does not appear to be many lodging choices at this exit- and if you're looking for another Marriott, you'll have to go to Winchester (16m) or Manassas (46m). Breakfast (free) was fair- no eggs, just waffles, sugary cereal, yogurt, fruit, packaged pastries. For dinner- there is a local family Italian place next door with a huge menu (no bar area). I went two miles downtown to the Hotel Strasburg, which has a very nice casual restaurant, moderate prices and above average food. Overall this Fairfield is a very good choice for the recreational or business travelers. My rate was $84 - weekday with AAA discount.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite as opposed to standard room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

176 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We stayed here last year, and found the hotel to be clean and comfortable. Happy to report the same for this visit. We were upgraded to a suite - helpful because we were traveling with our son. Because we arrived late and left early, we did not take advantage of any other amenities.

Room Tip: No restaurant - could not uncheck on above list.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Bethlehem, Pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I was a little nervous about booking this place because you always read mixed reviews about places and never know which places are really the good ones…
TRUST ME THIS ONE IS ONE OF THE BETTER PLACES TO STAY!!!
Plus I wasn’t just booking this for my husband and myself but also for good friends we were traveling with.

I cashed in some of my Marriott Rewards points and booked a room for the four of us to share.
Looking at the location it was perfect for us because it was not off our path heading to Gatlinburg Tennessee as our final destination.

Pulling into the lot we were very happy to see that the hotel was located right next to a little Italian Restaurant. The hotel parking was well lit and we were able to pull in a smaller area right in front of the hotel doors. Quite handy since we had a weeks worth of stuff to bring in for just the one night.

When we walked into the lobby the first thing we noticed was how very very clean and beautiful it was. It looks like it might have just been remodeled. I was already quite satisfied with my choice and happy that it kept getting better and better! Our friends actually commented on what a great choice I made!

The girl at the front desk was very helpful and polite. It was a little after 8pm when we got there to check in and there was a little line of about 2 or 3 other couples in line in front of us also checking in (late). The line went smoothly and fast. I did call them and tell them we would be a late check in.

We got our room keys and asked her about a place to eat. The desk clerk suggested the little Italian place located right across the lot which was good for us because we just walked there once we dropped our bags. The desk clerk also gave us a discount coupon for the restaurant. Another win/win..

As she was checking us in she told us that they had breakfast included and showed us where. Another good deal! One yes and another thing that I thought was nice, she asked us if we wanted a first floor room.

We took the elevator to our room and dropped our bags. The room was very large and the 4 of us had plenty of room to spread out. The room was very very clean! That included all the furnishings and the bathroom too. The bathroom was equipped with shampoo, conditioner and soap So we did not have to unpack all of our luggage.. We all just pulled out our toothbrush and paste! The room had a flat screen TV, iron board in the closet and a hairdryer too.

We went to the Italian place for dinner which was actually pretty good. I think they might close early, but I lost track of the time after having a few beers with our meal so I am not sure what time we got there or left. I do know we were the last ones in there and they seemed like they wanted us to leave. Once we walked out they did lock the door and turn off the lights… OH WELL, but they were nice about it. We each had one of their daily specials and the special they had on beer to. I think it was an Italian beer.. Pretty good, on the light side.

We headed back to our rooms and showered and all four of us had a great nights sleep in very comfortable beds. In the morning we went down to have breakfast and we were happily surprised at the selection. They had bagels, toast, cereal, homemade waffles, fruit, yogurt, oatmeal and pastries also.. Along with quite a selection of drinks like. Everything was very good. The room was so clean you would not have known anyone even ate in the room. They had two people there keeping things cleaned and restocked.

Check out was quick and easy. We ended up with the same girl who checked us in the night prior. I complemented her on how friendly she was and how nice and clean the hotel was.

There is a nice lobby you can hang out in by a fire place, bathrooms, and a pool all in the same area just off the lobby.

I would highly recommend this place as a great place to lay your head!

Room Tip: The first floor might be a little noisy since its right off the highway and a parking lot for the ho...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Glen Burnie, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The staff was friendly and upbeat which is always a big plus, I truly detest a grumpy person as the desk, when I am tired from traveling or a hard day. The room was clean and in good repair, although the door 'bar' was missing a rivet (I mentioned it on checkout and am confident it will be repaired). Since I started posting on TripAdvisor, I pay more attention to the status of the rooms and the hotels I stay in, I'd have to look harder to find a real downside here.

The continental breakfast was a bit lacking for me, I really do like to have scrambled eggs with mine but, it was well appointed and looked after otherwise.

There is no option to have the fan run when the A/C or heat cut off and that is a bit annoying, so once I had the room warm, I set it to fan only and was comfortable for the night.

I know firm beds last longer but, I'd be a happier customer with something a bit softer. When I travel in room is usually just a place to do some last minute work so good Internet access is a must and then a place to sleep, so the quality of the bed is very important too me.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Chesapeake, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Modern Style Decor with spacious rooms, comfortable bedding. Breathtaking Views, wonderful continental breakfast variety...Would recommend, we will return...located in great area not far from all of the local attractions and the front royal entrance to the skyline drive. The Italian restaurant right next door to the hotel is amazing, nice couples scenery for a great cozy meal...Very friendly people in the area all around :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
cookeville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stayed at this hotel on our way to Maryland. Was a nice hotel on Rt 81 and was only 2 miles from Rt 66 to Washington DC. Check in was good and there is a small italian restaurant right across from the hotel. We walked over and the food was great. Watch though, as the portions were big - we ordered a medium pizza and is was HUGE but delicious. They said their specialty was the pasta - looked great but we were hungry for pizza. Night was quiet and the free breakfast was good. Check out was quick. Would stay there again if needed an overnight stay. If you prefer fast food, a McDonalds across the street attached to a gas station. Usually get top room, but got 3rd floor and was still quiet. Room layout in the hallways of the Fairfield Inns are funky but all-in-all a nice stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed here for one night, on a road trip South. Very convenient to I-81, yet no highway noise. Front desk staff very courteous and efficient.

Property immaculate, with high end Lifecycle treadmills, etc. in exercise room, and small, but adequate pool and whirlpool.

Room Tip: sorry we didn't opt for the top floor (4th), as there was a lot of noise from room above
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Strasburg? Share your experiences!