“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Sterling, Virginia
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is my favorite restaurant in Sterling. Many people have not had Burmese food so they are skeptical, but do not hesitate to go to this restaurant. The food is excellent. Some of the foods that are our favorites are the curries (lamb and goat), the noodle dishes (Golden Mountain), the appetizers shrimp tempura, the split yellow pea fritters, and the dessert that Mamma makes (tapioca). It is a family owned and run business and they always try and make your dining experience special. Very good value!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Ashburn, Virginia
“not worth an out of the way trip”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

My husband and I went here for valentine's day this year. maybe that was our first mistake. the appetizers we ordered i'd rate a 4 out of 5. our dinners were a 3 out of 5 (average). the service was BAD, 1 out of 5. our greeting from our server was "are you ready?". never asked if we wanted anything to drink outside of water. appetizers came out with our main meal. our water glass was empty for most of the meal, we had to ask for our check multiple times. the table next to us had been waiting for 10 minutes for someone to take their order. the restaurant wasn't even that packed, maybe 8 couples and there were 3 servers. i was a waitress for 3 years and could have easily handled 4-5 tables of just 2 people without an issue. the couple on the other side of us got fed up and left (this was not the same table that had been waiting for 10 minutes to have their order taken). i really wanted to like this place since i'd prefer to eat at a mom and pop restaurant to a chain restaurant. unfortunately, we won't be returning.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Virginia
“love this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

this is one of my favorite places in town. food is excellent, fresh, tasty. great menu. family run and very friendly and welcoming environment. it has gotten popular and can sometimes be crowded on the weekends, so i usually go on a week night instead.

Visited February 2013
Leesburg, Virginia
“So Yum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Why did I not know about this restaurant until recently!?!? I think we found a new favorite. We ordered the sampler platter, fish soup for 2, spicy scallops, green curry with shrimp and farlunga for dessert. Everything tasted amazing and had plenty left over for lunch the next day. The hot towels before and after the meal to clean your hands was a lovely touch on a cold night. Will definitely go back and highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
White Plains, New York
“Not just a taste.....tastes of Burma!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

According to Tripadvisor this is the second-ranked restaurant in Sterling, Va. For those of you not from this area, like me, Sterling is the town nearest to Dulles Airport on the western outskirts of Washington, D.C. My wife and I didn't feel like going to Reston with its series of franchise overpriced restaurants and instead looked for something closer to the Marriott, where we are staying.

The restaurant is in a little strip mall near the Dulles Town Center and when we went inside were very pleasantly surprised. It was a clean and colorful little place and we were greeted by the owner/chef/waitress, a cheery woman who was actually born in what was called Burma and is now Myanmar. The food is an agglomeration of foods from China, India, Thailand and Vietnam and from what we sampled people visiting that country must enjoy eating there.

We started with vegetable samosa, greaseless and delicious, then spring rolls. Also very good. I had the BEST hot and sour soup I have ever tasted, boldly seasoned, with vegetables and perfectky cooked whole shrimp swimming in the rich broth.

For main dishes my wife got sweet basil chicken with rice and was rewarded with a flavorful dish, very little oil and not spicy, just as she ordered. I got drunken Malaysian noodles, which was basically chow fun, but much tastier than the Chinese cousin. I got it with mixed meats, which included chicken beef, pork and several shrimp. It was a plentiful portion and I ended up taking some back to the hotel afterwards. I shared some of it with my wife and still had leftovers.

I would wholly recommend Taste of Burma to anyone seeking well-priced and authentic food.

• Visited December 2012