“outstanding customer service in the snow storm” 5 of 5 stars
Review of HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North

You added HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North to your Saves list
HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   45520 Dulles Plaza, Sterling, VA 20166 (Formerly Hotel Sierra Washington Dulles)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Sterling
GreenLeadersBronze level
Boulder, Colorado
“outstanding customer service in the snow storm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

I booked a room at Hotel Sierra for my 65 year old mother while she was traveling from Europe to Denver, via Washington Dulles. Her flight to Denver was cancelled due to the snow storm in Washington, DC, and she had nowhere to go in the middle of the night, after 24 hours of traveling. While all of the hotels in the vicinity of the airport claimed to be fully booked, I came across an available room on hotles.com website and booked it. It was hard to believe, that there would be a room available, and when I tried to contact Hotel Sierra directly, my phone calls did not go through - it turned out the phones were out of order that night. My mother took the shuttle to the hotel, and learnt upon arrival, that there was no rooms, and her reservation went through due to system error. There were about 80 rooms sold that night but hotels.com and expedia.com, that the hotel did not have. Here is where it gets very impressive: hotel employees were very friendly and helpful, and did not turn anyone away. They were offering pillows and blankets, and opening conference rooms for people to stay overnight while waiting for the airport to open. There was also breakfast offered in the morning. My mother ended up getting a room later that night, where she could rest before continuing her journey. She was very happy with her room, breakfast, and check out. This was the first time I heard about Hotel Sierra - due to computer error! - but if I ever travel to a city where there is one, I will make sure to check it out myself. I am very grateful to the hotel employees for taking such good care of my mom, who does not speak much English and was very tired at the time. While there are other choices to stay in the vicinity of Washington Dulles airport, I recommend Hotel Sierra for its outstanding customer service on a snowy, stormy night.

• Stayed January 2011
HSDullesGeneralMgr, General Manager at HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, responded to this review, March 9, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

It gives me great pleasure to read your review regarding your mother's recent visit at Hotel Sierra. While the snowstorms did cause havoc in the area, it is great to know we able to help turn a negative travel experience into a positive.

Thank you for the glowing comments regarding the staff at the hotel and how they helped the stranded travelers. We take pride in providing great customer service and it sounds like we were successful!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we thank you for recommending to others. We hope to see you soon here in Dulles or at one of our other locations.

Michael Gouzie, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Arabic first
Newark, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

The hotel itself is fabulous. The beds were very comfortable. Dirty q-tips on the living room floor in our suite was a pretty big turn off when we first got there. 3 of us in one room and not enough towels. The staff was less than friendly upon check-in. Breakfast was top notch and the morning staff seemed much friendlier than the grouchy condescending little girl that was working the evening shift. Her very poor attitude is enough to keep us from coming back. Who needs that when you just spent four times the price of a Comfort Inn? Beautiful hotel + poor management = WE don't come back. Oh, and one of the rooms was smaller than described. Not that it made a difference, but we were charged extra.

To the hotel Sierra management.should you decide to respond. You chose to do nothing when we were there, I could care less what you and your staff have decided or think at this point. Poor poor top management.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. I am pleased to read that you found the beds to be very comfortable and the breakfast top notch.

I am sorry to hear that the combination of an indifferent front desk representative when checking in and your room being unacceptable detracted from what otherwise could have been an enjoyable experience.

I hope an opportunity presents itself for you to return and experience a level of service that Hotel Sierra is known for.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

Love, love love this hotel! Beautiful rooms with full kitchen. The beds were wonderful and so comfortable. By far the best sleep we have gotten in a hotel at any price. The blankets were heavy goose down with soft fluffy pillows, and not just one per person, more like three. The fixtures and appliances were very high quality. We just loved everything about the hotel. The staff was wonderful, especially Cesar. My kids loved him so much they asked him to be Facebook friends. The breakfast was amazing, Made to order omelets and delicious danish with fresh orange juice. I can't recommend this hotel enough!!! Can't wait to go back. Just a wonderful experience!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
HSDullesGeneralMgr, General Manager at HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, responded to this review, January 8, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

The best hotel you've ever stayed in is a very nice compliment. Thank you for recognizing the staff as they work hard to ensure every guest has a great experience. We are so glad you loved everything about the hotel and look forward to you staying with us again!

Michael Gouzie, General Manger
Queens, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

I just loved my room so much that I didn't want to leave the Hotel. Everything about the hotel was more than I expected considering it was only $69. My room had king size bed, a huge sofa, a flat screen TV with free cable, a regular size refrigerator, a stove, dishwasher, microwave, coffee maker, all the utensils necessary and more. The bathroom was nice and clean. I stayed one night so I didn't get a chance to use the robe. The computer room was free of charge with printers and everything. After tax the total was $76. Did I say the staff was superb? I will not only recommend this hotel to friends but I will make sure I stay at one wherever I go there is one.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
HSDullesGeneralMgr, General Manager at HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, responded to this review, December 10, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

We are so glad Hotel Sierra exceeded your expectations. Thank you for the great comments regarding the hotel and the staff. We are happy your stay was so great you are recommending to others and will look for Hotel Sierra when you need a hotel.

Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel several times now for business. Convenient - right off Rt 28, near Dulles airport. You wouldn't know you were close to the airport as the rooms, especially at the back, are very quiet. Very confortable beds and well appointed rooms - most with fridge, microwave, and flat screen. Modern decor and clean rooms and public areas. Feels very safe.
Some very minor complaints - the elevators are really slow and since they don't seem to have a staff or maintenance elevator you also have to compete with cleaning crews at 8 AM. Also, the staff at breakfast could pay more attention to refilling food and coffee - I have had to ask for fresh coffee and eggs and noticed that others have had the same experience. Overall a good value and I would recommend for single travelers.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
HSDullesGeneralMgr, General Manager at HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, responded to this review, October 24, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay at Hotel Sierra. I do apologize for the lack of service during breakfast. I have met with the breakfast staff to ensure this doesn't happen again. Thank you for choosing Hotel Sierra and recommending to others. We hope you will stay with us in the future.

Franklin Park, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

We stayed here one night when visiting the D.C. Area. We read the reviews on tripadvisor and stayed here because of the good reviews. The Hotel itself was right off the highway, and only a 3 mile drive to the airport (Dulles). Not a far drive from Downtown D.C. and we will stay here again when visiting the area. The Room was very clean and spacious and also very comfortable, breakfast was very good and very delicious. The staff was very friendly and also helpful. Overall a nice stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
HSDullesGeneralMgr, General Manager at HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, responded to this review, October 22, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

We are so glad you enjoyed your night at Hotel Sierra! Thank you for the great comments regarding the cleanliness of the hotel and the staff. It is great the hotel was in the perfect location for your visit to the area and we hope to see you again!

Cape Coral, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

The hotel turned out to be, for the most part, everything that the reviews mentioned. The breakfast was great, the reception desk would answer immediately, the beds were comfortable and the rooms were generally clean.

The bad part is that it is far from Washington DC. You absolutely need a car if you are going to stay here. It is impossible to go to DC without a car - we asked the reception desk, and we were told that we could not get to Washington DC using public transportation - not good!!! unless you have a vehicle.

The other dissapointment we encountered was that there were five family members in our group, and the person(s) who cleaned our rooms would not leave enough towels, toilet paper or tissue. We had to call the reception desk as many as three times (we stayed five nights there) in order to get toilet paper or towels - it was ridiculous. Having said that, as soon as we called, we would get the items and they were very polite. It could have been just one of the housekeeping staff who did not know how to do her job.

The Internet was a bit slow, but I guess the hotel was crowded over the Labor Day Weekend because on Tuesday it was pretty good.

The guard kept looking at my nephew when he went to the swimming pool even though he was accompanied by my niece who is over twenty - they had to leave. We did not understand why he was so watchful even after being told that they were both good swimmers.

If you have a vehicle and do not mind driving, by all means, this hotel is great and I would recommend it to someone based on that.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
HSDullesGeneralMgr, General Manager at HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, responded to this review, September 26, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Sierra. We are located outside the city, but within a short driving distance to get to the tourist sites in DC. I am pleased to read you found the beds comfortable and the breakfast great. I do apologize you had to contact the front desk more than once because housekeeping didn't leave enough towels in the room. I have spoken with the housekeeping staff to ensure they are replenishing the rooms with the proper number of towels and paper products. Thank you for recommending Hotel Sierra and we hope to see you again soon!

Michael Gouzie, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sterling
Hampton Inn & Suites Washington-Dulles International Airport
Comfort Inn & Suites Airport Dulles-Gateway
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sterling - Dulles Airport
Hyatt Dulles at Dulles International Airport
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Washington Dulles International Airport
Hyatt Place Sterling/Dulles Airport-North

Been to HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North? Share your experiences!