“Home away from home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North

Save Saved
You added HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North to your Saves list
HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   45520 Dulles Plaza, Sterling, VA 20166 (Formerly Hotel Sierra Washington Dulles)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free Breakfast & WIFI
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Sterling
GreenLeadersBronze level
Ashburn, Virginia
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Stayed here numerous times over the past two years. My husband's employer is nearby. He travels here every few months, from our home in Ohio, and I come along to learn the area as I knew we would be moving here once our home sold. We've finally moved here, so I won't be staying there anymore but it was a wonderful hotel. The rooms are exceptionally large and comfortable, and the location is excellent. We enjoyed the ample breakfast buffet and the airport shuttle is very convenient. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful, particularly Julian, who I believe is the General Manager. He bent over backward to accommodate any special requests and made us feel like honored guests each and every time we visited. Highly recommend this as a great place for an extended stay, and although I'm sure they cater to business clientele, they seemed to be very family friendly as well.

Room Tip: Never had a bad room. However, the elevators are rather slow and make annoying noises at each floor...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
hhousesterling, General Manager at HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor and we appreciate your high recommendation! I am honored that you chose us to be your 'home away from home' as you relocate to the area. I will pass on your great comments to Julian as we all take pride to ensure that we take care of all our guests' needs.

I do hope that you're enjoying your new home in Virginia and you're always welcome to visit us at any time.

Best Regards,
Pam Domingo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Great place with a nice location for Dulles.

Even the normal rooms are large with kitchnette, excellent layout with large comfy couch and modern furnishings. Bed was comfy, wifi fast and free, amenities great as well. And staff friendly plus large well-lit parking lot. The rooms are spotless clean with some long-term issues the one negative (embedded dirt in bathroom but not a big deal). Oh, and the rooms are nice and silent both from neighbors and outside noise, so its pretty near perfect, especially for the price.

Location itself is kind of isolated without a car but free shuttle to IAD, and if you do have a car, two exits north on Rt. 28 has a Wegman's and large shopping plaza. Would definitly stay again if needed a hotel in this area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
We appreciate your candid and kind words. I am glad to hear that you found our hotel quiet, comfy and clean. I will certainly adress the embedded dirt that you found in the bathroom. Thank you for bringing this to my attention!

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Best,
Duluth, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I stayed at this hotel overnight on a business trip. Check in was quick, however, I was given a ground level room that had one window that looked out to a patio with guests & another window which looked out to a maintenance door that was held open with rags & a view of empty plastic racks of some type. The room also didn't seem very clean. I immediately requested another room & the front desk clerk assigned me another room on an upper floor. This room was clean w/ the exception of some type of crumbs on the sofa. The room was large & had 2 queen beds, a separate kitchenette area with full size fridge, small 2 burner stove, microwave, small dishwasher & coffee maker. The kitchen was stocked with various plates, cups, cooking utensils etc. There was a nice large desk & full size sleeper sofa. The room had a flat screen TV that could swivel between the sitting area & bed area. The bath was adequate & there was a nice sized closet that had a full size ironing board, iron & extra towels, sheets etc.

The hotel was relatively quiet and the bed was comfortable. However, the A/C didn't seem to work properly during the night. The room was hot & I had to keep getting up to adjust the thermostat. Also, the shower head didn't work very well & I was disappointed that the toiletries didn't include lotion. They did have a small tube of toothpaste though.

The hotel offers a complimentary breakfast that includes various breads, cereals, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes, french toast, fruit etc. and has a omelet station. It was good.

There is an outdoor pool, fitness area & basketball courts, but I didn't utilize any of these.

I feel the hotel is a very good value. The larger rooms comfortably sleep a traveling family.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
hhousesterling, General Manager at HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
We appreciate your feedback. I do apologize on the room location, A/C and the housekeeping inconveniences, but thankful that you found the hotel of good value and that you enjoyed the rest of our amenities. We use feedback such as yours to continually improve our product and services. Thank you!

We hope to see you again in the near future!

Safe travels,
Gaimersheim, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I stayed a few nights at this hotel, which was my first hotel in the US (except for NYC) and I was surprised how large the room was, compared to what you get in Europe. Comfortable living space, fully-equiped kitchen and a large bed. The bath was smart and clean and there was plenty of space for my luggage in the closet. My stay would have been perfect, but... I think the sheets are not from 100% cotton, because a suffered from the static electricity all the time. I am not joking: during the night, when it was dark and I moved the sheets, I could even see the sparks! Besides that, the sheets sticked to my bare legs...

Breakfast was, for what I have heard, typical American, toast, bagels, jam and peanut butter and some fruit. It was okay, but you can't compare it to the German style.

For us the hotel was perfectly located between the airport and Ashburn. During the weekend we visited Washington DC (by driving to East Falls Church - we parked for free - and take the metro down town), Annapolis (GREAT! Was just an hour drive) and the Udvar Air and Space Center (takes you only 5 minutes from the hotel).

All in all a great hotel, smart and clean, and perfectly located.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you found us 'perfectly located' and our rooms spacious and well-equipped.

I apologize that you had some issues with our sheets and I will look into it. You are the first one who has brought it to my attention and I truly appreciate the feedback so this can be address with our Housekeeping team.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Danke!

Best,
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Stayed here as we had to leave our hotel in Washington DC due to unforseen circumstances. We found this hotel on the internet .We found Ricardo and Anna behind the desk to be very professional and helpful and nothing was a problem for them. The rooms were well maintained and cleaned daily. Would recomend this hotel to anyone looking for a great place to stay at very reasonable prices. Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments and kind words. I am pleased to hear that you found the hotel as an 'excellent accomodation'. I will also share your comments to Anna and Ricardo as I'm sure they would be glad to welcome you back next time you are in the area.

We appreciate your business!

Best Regards,
Ithaca, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

The hotel is located near the interstate providing easy access. Traffic can be frustrating at times, but that is life near the "big city". The hotel itself is nice. Check-in was efficient and sterile. The room was adequate and spacious, but not as described. Business center is open 24/7 with free printing. Fitness center is open 24/7 with nice weights, two stationary bikes and several treadmills. Interactive service is not the high quality of the staff, though they will react to your inquiries. Housekeeping during the nine nights was poor…minimal cleaning, toilet paper ran out and it took an hour for housekeeping to bring some to the room, glassware not replaced until the last night and only because the key card stopped working and while having it replaced for the first time I was asked about my stay. The complimentary breakfast is great…cooked to order omelets, juices, hot water for tea, coffee, fruit, scrambled eggs, breakfast potatoes, pancakes, yogurt and more. There is not much within walking distance to the hotel…a Burger King and a gasoline service station. Shopping malls within five to ten minute drive have several nice eating options and several grocery stores.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
hhousesterling, General Manager at HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to post your comments on TripAdvisor. We appreciate you candid feedback!

We are glad that you enjoyed our facilities and services but apologize that we did not meet your houseeping expectations. As an extended stay hotel, we provide both light and full service cleaning in our stayover rooms. I have addressed your concerns with my Executive Housekeeper about not getting your amenities replenished, which is not our standard procedure. Thank you, once again, for bringing this to my attention and apologize for the inconvenience.

We hope that you give us another chance in the future.

Kind Regards,
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We had a terrible experience with our stay. We booked 2 rooms and the door for one room won't even lock. Hotel staff started to fix the room at 11.00 pm in the night. They would not transfer us to another room, suggesting there are no rooms available. They then gave another option to provide us 1 room somewhere in the nearby hotel and 1 room should stay with us. (who would leave their family and go stay at a different hotel). We had no option but to stay with open doors with my 16 months old (scary). Hotel staff gave a letter in the morning suggesting they are sorry for the inconvenience and would refund the amount, which they have not. We have constantly tried to get in touch of their manager (Anna Svedlow) and she would not come on the phone to authorize refund.(tried for 9 days)

This hotel is a TERRIBLE. Don't stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Many better hotels, please select wisely for your family
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
hhousesterling, General Manager at HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. I can guarantee you that this is not a norm.

I have also spoken to Anna regarding your review. Unfortunately, your reservation was booked through a third party and they are refusing to adjust the charges. Please contact her at (703)435-9002 at your convenience. The third party information is in the system and she has no contact information on file.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience and we hope to have another chance to serve you in the future.

Pam Domingo

Been to HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North? Share your experiences!