“Great room to stay and play” 4 of 5 stars
Review of HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North

Save Saved
You added HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North to your Saves list
HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   45520 Dulles Plaza, Sterling, VA 20166 (Formerly Hotel Sierra Washington Dulles)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free Breakfast & WIFI
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Sterling
GreenLeadersBronze level
Centreville, Virginia
“Great room to stay and play”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I love this hotel its chic and value. Nice big convenient hotel near the Dulles toll road and airport and right on the highway directly to all the things you want to go to . Very well designed hotel with clean and well kept rooms and great customer service and respect to all visitors. I felt like every dollar spent was well spent on the room provided. Nice flat screen TV and comfortable layout to relax and enjoy the moment. Nice fridge and tables. Nice walk in shower and set up.
Bed beautifully designed and sheets with perfect thread count. Plush pillows and open layout.
I say make a reservation and get a room and explore the area and get a good feel of what good planning gets you and value.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
hhousesterling, General Manager at HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor. We are pleased to hear that you think we are a "very well designed hotel with clean and well kept rooms and with great customer service". It was a pleasure to be your host while staying with us. Please keep us in mind when traveling to our area in the future.

We appreciate your comments!

Best,
Pam Domingo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Moseley, VA USA 23120
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I frequently work in the Herndon area and have for years stayed at either the Dulles Hilton or the Dulles Hyatt. I recently stayed (3 nights / 2 visits) at the Sterling Hyatt House, and, based on my very pleasant experience, plan to stay here instead of my two old stalwarts.

The two rooms I stayed in at the Hyatt House, one a one bedroom the other a studio, were clean, comfortable, and well furnished. All appliances worked and were in good repair. The china, utensils, and glassware were in good condition and of good quality. Internet access was included and was fast and reliable. TV channel selection was terrific.

The staff was friendly and helpful. The included breakfast buffet, with made to order omelets was adequate, and, while not on par with the Embassy Suites, it is way better than what is offered at many other locations such as the Homewood Suites, or a Hampton Inn.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your recent experience with us. It is always nice to hear such wonderful comments about our team and the hotel. I am glad that you have now chosen to stay with us. I will make sure to share this with all my team members.

We look forward seeing you again in the near future!

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

If this place is rated No 1 in Sterling, it says very little for the other properties in the area. Our room was Spartan at best. We saw online pictures of sofa's and walk in showers, but our room was two beds, a playwood frame desk screwed to the wall and a TV about the size of a computer monitor. No sofa, no walk in shower, no fridge or microwave. In fact, the furnishings were about the same as you find at any Motel 6. Standard bathroom with sink and tub. Certainly not what you would expect from a Hyatt property.

There were two of us in the room and only two "well-worn" towels, both of which my son used shortly after arrival. Called three times for a couple extra towels which never came.

Breakfast was chaotic at best. Had to ask for plastic plates and forks, fruit was empty and coffee had run out. Scrambled eggs were coId, line-up for "omlettes" was longer than I have seen on a 3,000 passenger cruise ship, so we left and bought breakfast on the way into the city. I visit the Washington area often and typically stay in the IAD area. But this place is off my list for the future. Too many better properties to chose from.

"Adequate" rating is appropriate, for comparison to other 21/2 and 3 star hotels in this area, average is probably being too kind.

Room Tip: Go someplace else.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the candid review! With guest feedback being very important to us we use all comments both the positive and negative to evaluate our product and services. I do apologize that in this instance we did not meet your expectations or the standard we have set. Your comments have been shared with the Housekeeping and Food and Beverage staff.

I hope that you give us another chance in the future and thank you, once again, for your feedback.

Best Regards,
New Brunswick, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

In a previous review I expressed my satisfaction with Hyatt Place in Sterling VA. This is the Hyatt house in Sterling VA. Both have Sterling-Dulles Airport North attached to their name but are different hotels about five miles apart. Hyatt house not Hyatt Place. Lots of people showing up at the wrong hotel.

Still commuting for work. Travel agent found that this place is $1.10 a night cheaper than other place. I have to learn the names of a completely new staff.

Rooms are large and comfortable. With Hyatt Grand Poobah class points card I get best available room on check in so have never been in less than King Suite. Large bedroom, large bed, large bath, no tub - rain shower only. Cool little trick with shower. There is a hole in the shower glass where they tuck the bath mat - you can reach through it, turn on and adjust shower temperature without getting the blast of cold water to start your day. Single sink with a fair amount of room for your stuff. Large closet (double door wide) full depth, iron and board.

3/4 kitchen. Full size fridge, two burner stove, microwave, coffee pot, dishwasher and place settings for 4. Handy for longer stays.

Good size flat panel TVs in living and bed room. Desk not so sure about. Good solid work surface. Nice sturdy director's style chair. But ... table is too high for regular chair and too low for standing. Chair is a little too high so I have to pinch legs under work surface. And there is only one chair so forget dining for two. If chair is on one side it is in the road of the fridge door; on the other side it is in the road of the bedroom door.

Wired phones (no walk and talk). No speaker phone. Free wired and wireless internet (that works well). Bedside clock radio includes iPod adapter - speakers aren't great but it will do.

Windows that open. Heater controls that you are never really sure if they work. Tried adjusting temperature and it seems the same at 66 and 74.

Pet peeve. More like angry peeve. Set out my meds - come back the first day and housekeeping had rearranged them. Absolute no-no. That stopped after I spoke with the manager. I also bring a power bar for bedside. iPad, phone, CPAP machine. Come back the first day and everything is unplugged. Tell manager that is not going to happen again. He says that there are special breakers in the rooms that detect if something is on and trips so that my stuff doesn't waste power. If the breaker trips the hotel staff has to come and reset it manually. Ask what about TVs, phone, clock radio, fridge? Oh those are on different breakers. I call shenanigans. I put radio systems on spacecraft and have a Masters in Electrical Engineering. I check the panel and inform the manager that these magical breakers do not exist.

Good continental breakfast. Custom made omelette bar but chef is usually too busy busing tables. Light menu and full bar from 5 to 10 PM. A couple of microbrews the rest in the Bud Lite quality range. I don't like it because they have either Fox or CNN at full blast or there is a marketing jerk talking in his outside voice and laughing fakely at his own jokes somewhere in the room.

Very good place to stay.

Room Tip: Away from elevators. Something without an adjoining room door.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
lifebeginsat40_10, General Manager at HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent stay. Your comments are truly appreciated! I am glad to know that overall, you found the hotel a good place to stay.

I am truly sorry that you had your belongings were moved by our room attendant and the breakers tripped during your stay. Based on your feedback, these were addressed after reporting it to one of our managers. I apologize for the inconvenience.

I can assure you that this is not the norm and I will be sure to look into your concerns. I would hope that you would give us another chance when returning to our area.

Thank you for your business!

Kind regards,
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed for one night in December and was pleasantly surprised. The hotel was easy to find (you can see it from the freeway but it is not close enough to be bothersome). The pricing was good for the area, the lobby and restaurant areas are clean and tidy and the room was great. I had dinner and breakfast which were both tasty, well presented and good value. The front desk staff were super friendly and helpful and all in all I had a good trip with no problems. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Pamela D, General Manager at HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
It was a pleasure having you as our guest! Thank you very much for selecting our hotel and reviewing us on TripAdvisor. Your high recommendation is truly appreciated. It pleases us to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and that you found our facilities to be accommodating and our staff friendly.

We look forward to you staying with us next time you are in our area.

Best Regards,
GM
hampton roads, va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My husband and I have been staying here on and off for the past 6 years. We were initially worried that when Hotel Sierra ( what this hotel was formally called) was bought by Hyatt, it would go down in quality. It did not. This place stayed the exact same, and that is a good thing! If you are looking for a family friendly, budget friendly place to stay while visiting DC, this is it! Like many others said, you can always catch the shuffle service to the Dulle AIrport and then into Downtown DC to save on time and gas ( Lord knows how hard it is to find parking in the National Mall area). Or, the short trip it take to get to DC isn't bad either. Now, the hotel itself offers free parking. Which is a bonus. We usually get our rates online ( they are much cheaper than in person) through the Hyatt website, We have stayed in the bedroom king, double queen room, and the king studio. We truly love the bedroom with the double doors leading to the bedroom. All rooms come with a pull out sectional sleeper couch, which is always nice. The hotel itself if very modern and trendy ( non of that 60's-70's look, which is rampant in hotels). The customer service is always friendly and gets you in and out very efficiently and quickly. The buisness room is nicely done with computers, notepads and pens for your use. The concierge area is amazing, they have everything you need if you ever forget anything. The fire pit is amazing and so relaxing after a day's drive. We usually bring our camping sticks and a couple marshmellows :) The pool, in the season it is open is always clean and the cabanas are nice. The public bathrooms are always clean and smell amazingly fresh. In the winter, the front lobby area has a fireplace to warm you while you wait or read the free paper. There is free ice from the icemakers ( some places charge for ice). The rooms are quite. We have never heard anything from our "neighbors" so that's a nice touch. The rooms are nice and clean. The kitchen area ( which is amazing for people who are staying longer than a day and/or have kids to feed) has everything you could need to cook or prepare food ( even a dishwasher!). The fridge always has a nice pitcher to fill with water and turn on the ice maker. There is a little desk area with a wide, comfortable chair to do anything you might need ( check emails, look up hours of attractions, ect.). They now have a nifty thing where you can print from your laptop to the printer in the buisness area on the main floor. Perfect for buying tickets to the smithsonian! The beds are nicely firm but soft, with ample pillows and blanket options ( always having more in the closets). They have a nice closet space. The bathrooms are always clean and well stocked with the supplies they offer, and you can always call the desk for lil things you forgot. The swivel flat screen tv with alot of cable channels is always a plus. The windows open ( to a degree) for fresh air or even to get a cool breeze in on nice weather nights. We love the alarm clocks. They have ipod docks and soothing sounds. The workout area is always smelling clean and always well stocked with water for you, and towels.The breakfast buffet is amazing, there is something for everyone, including drinks! They now have a bar/food menu to order from in the evenings, and while some of it tastes microwaved, it helps when you dont want to go back out for the night. In short, this place is amazing. Every thing you could possibly think of, they have done. The rates have stayed the same, and the service and quality hasn't changed in years. Book here and you will not be sorry. And if you're like us, you'll look for reasons to stay here!

Room Tip: There is no room service, but they offer delivery menus ( the area stops after 9ish)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for taking the time in providing an in-depth review and sharing some pictures of our hotel. Your comments are truly appreciated! I am delighted to hear that you continue to enjoy our facilities as a Hyatt hotel and that we have lived up to your expectations.

Thank you very much for your business & loyalty, we look forward to your return when in our area again. Cheers!

GM
Buffalo, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stopped in to the Hyatt House during our Holiday travels. I used Hyatt points for this stay and it was worth it! Clean, big room for our family of 5 and a great selection at the free breakfast. We had a great stay!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Pamela D, General Manager at HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time off your busy schedule to give us your feedback in TripAdvisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you had a great Holiday season.

We hope to see you and your family again and we thank you for staying with us!

Been to HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North? Share your experiences!