“Service overcame the small fault.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North

You added HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North to your Saves list
HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   45520 Dulles Plaza, Sterling, VA 20166 (Formerly Hotel Sierra Washington Dulles)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free Breakfast & WIFI
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Sterling
GreenLeadersBronze level
Montclair, New Jersey
“Service overcame the small fault.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Pros: modern design, spartan but comfortable furnishings. Walk-in shower, only moderate water pressure. Great air-conditioning. Very good blackout curtains (we were with our 3 and 1 year-old kids who nap). Pool was warm, jacuzzi was not yet hot (just opened for season). Breakfast buffet was full of options (yes, an omelet station!) and coffee is very good. Wireless internet is free, and has great signal (we were in room 413). For dinner, choices were classic american fare at budget prices, with a very friendly server/bartender (don't remember her name). Some micro-brew beers were available. We could see the arriving planes on approach out of our double-glazed windows, but could not hear them. Don't know if departures would be audible.

Cons: We booked through American Express, which was our mistake. They put our reservation in for wrong nights! At the front desk, Betty was very, very helpful in accommodating and rearranging our reservation. Better to book directly with Hyatt or through online service, not with a human (fallible) agent on phone at American Express.

We found crumbs in sofa bed mattress. That mattress had no sheets on it. Anna, also at front desk, quickly arranged for housekeeping to clean crumbs and get sheets. She was surprised the bed had no sheets on it. Housekeeping didn't really get the job done for a couple of hours. Juana (housekeeper) finally came and cleaned.

Overall: Staff was super-friendly and helpful. Hotel was crisp, modern, budget but elegant. Location, well, it's near Dulles Airport, but absolutely nothing else. There isn't anything withing walking distance.
We paid around $100/night for the one-bedroom king (french doors close the bedroom off the main room). Great value!

Room Tip: Airplane views on West side of hotel.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Pamela D, General Manager at HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate the candidness and apologize that we fell short of both your expectations and mine in housekeeping. We will apply your observations to our customer service improvement plan we are implementing. We thank you as well for the positive feedback. I will share your comments with my team members, especially Betty and Anna.

We encourage you to return to our location as our goal is to provide you a flawless stay. We hope to see you again in the future and look forward to another opportunity to meet and axceed your expectations.

Pam Domingo-GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

I enjoyed my stay! Wish I could stay longer though.. The breakfast was the true "continental breakfast" imo. We had the 2 double bed room and it was huge and comfortable! Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
We appreciate your positive comments and great recommendation! Thank you! I am delighted that we were able to meet your expectations on the level of service and accommodations. I will certainly share your feedback with my Team.

New Brighton, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

This hotel which now has a new name, Hyatt, offers spacious rooms with comfortable beds and elegant bathrooms. It has the best breakfast of any hotel I have stayed at with omelets made to order and a buffet of fresh fruit and a wide variety of treats. The coffee is Starbucks. Service was gracious and there is a free shuttle every half hour to Dulles airport. A perfect place to relax before or after a long flight. I hope I have an opportunity to return soon!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Pamela D, General Manager at HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
You can always count on us! Thank you for your positive review. I am glad to hear that my Team has made your stay memorable. We appreciate your loyalty and we look forward to your next visit soon.

bangkok
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Stayed in a king bedroom suite with my wife and 2 kids. The suite was big and spacious. I could sleep in their king bed with my wife and my 4 year old son comfortably while my 1 year old daughter had the privilege of sleeping solo in her portable baby crib. We didn't utilize the kitchen much since we went down for free breakfast everyday. The housekeeper will clean your room and run your dishwasher everyday when there were dirty dishes or glasses in the kitchen. Food choice for breakfast was enough with an omelet station, bagels, potatoes, fruit, toasts, cereal, orange juice, starbuck brew with rotation of the following; sausages or bacon, waffles or pancakes. But be sure to go there before 9.30 AM on weekdays though. The staff put away breakfast at 9.30 AM sharp which is a little early for us since by the time our children woke up and had to get them cleaned and get dressed, we could rarely make it in time for breakfast. A little extension for breakfast on weekdays to 10 or 10.30 AM is suggested. Even though the king bedroom suite was spacious, there was no bath tub in the bathroom and with such poor water pressure from the only fixed shower head made it very difficult for us to bathe out kids. Location wise, it is not difficult to find on gps, just off highway but be sure to put in the correct address. Still beats me why Trip Advisor still calls this hotel by its previous name "Hotel Sierra" instead of Hyatt House Washington Dulles which is confusing and does not help other fellow travellors to go right to where they are looking for.

I paid the advance purchase rate of 150 usd per night for my room which I think it's a little expensive but quite reasonble comparing to other hotels of same grade nearby.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your candidness and apologize that we fell short of on some of your expectations. We do value your feedback in an effort to improve our services.

We encourage you to return to our location as our goal is to provide a flawless stay. If your travels return you to the Dulles Corridor, please contact me directly at the hotel. We look forward to another opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations.

BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

This hotel provides cenventient amenities designed for long-term stay travellers, incuding free shuttle service, laundry, gym facilities, lounge and bar, and excellent complimentary breakfast buffet. The staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and confortable. My only complaint is that there is not much available within walking distance (shops, restaurants, etc) however the shuttle service is willing to drop you off or pick you up at your destination.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

We look forward to having you back in the near future!

Richmond, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

This was the perfect hotel after a long flight from Europe. The individuals at the reception desk at 10 p.m. were extremely welcoming and pleasant. Our room was clean, spacious and nicely decorated. The bed was so comfortable that it was a struggle to get up in the morning and the breakfast buffet surpassed our expections with hot and cold entrees. Check out was just as quick and efficient as the check in process.

As others have mentioned, the name change sitll causes confusion with some taxi drivers but it was still only a $12 taxi ride away from the airport. I will stay here again when I fly in/out of Dulles.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your recent experience with us. It is always nice to hear such wonderful comments about our team and the hotel. My team and I are delighted that we have exceeded your expectations!
We also apologize about the name change confusion.

Jeju, South Korea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

Tip: Type in the address in gps not the name of hotel til the info is updated maybe?
Studio King is beautiful, this hotel is beautiful. Pictures are exactly what you get; the kitchen is fully equipped to serve 4 BUT not much cooking is needed with the great comp breakfast...bacon eggs waffles cereal bagels fruit juice etc. quiet environment free fast WiFi all for a low price I'm sold!
Great job Hyatt House

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Please come back and visit us again soon!

Pam Domingo- GM

Been to HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North? Share your experiences!