“Good Irish Food & Drink” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Route 7 & Palisades Parkway
Reston, Virginia
“Good Irish Food & Drink”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Last night we had dinner at O'Faolain's Irish Pub. The main restaurant is very comfortable and cozy but we chose to sit out on the patio. My husband had the Irish Stew and I had the Bangers and Mash. We shared a chopped salad. We were both pleased with the food. It was very good and tasted like meals we had in the outer counties of Ireland. The chopped salad was very crisp with a light mustard dressing. Our server told us that we were one of the first people to try their new menu revamped menu. A fun casual place for an Irish downhome meal.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Reston, Virginia
“Great Irish food, beer and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We often go to O'Falain's if we are in the mood for well prepared Irish food. The chicken pie and shepherd's pie are exceptional as is the Baked Brie.

The service is friendly and efficient and is sometimes augmented by the owner if you have food allergies or the like. In the summer you can eat outside which is pleasant and there is a separate bar out there too.

Definitely worth a try, again and again.

Visited February 2013
Herndon, Virginia
“The Best of Times and Worst of Times Here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

This is our neighborhood pub and equivalent of Cheers and the wait staff is friendly and welcoming. Great sports bar. Some of the food is excellent but some is pedestrian - it is a matter of taste. Their fish specials are always served with too me (an Italian, no less) strange types of risotto, for instance. But, unlike some places you can have a burger cooked to order and they have an OUTSTANDING seafood chowder.

Their Sunday brunch is excellent - especially with bottomless mimosas. For that reason we sometimes opt to come and go by taxi.

I don't care for their Friday night music - they offer little in what Americans think of as "Irish" Music, that I like like the Irish Rovers - and the management doesn't care for IRA glorification.

We visit almost weekly so that is a pretty good endorsement - I just wish they'd have better music!

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Virginia
“Fun Irish Pub -- Great Food, Music, Atmosphere; Friendly Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We went here on the eve before St. Patrick's Day, after going to the movies at the theatre in the same complex. It was very crowded and we didn't have reservations, so we hung out in the bar area for an hour before a table was ready for us. We had a really great time, both in the bar and the main restaurant. It's a really lively, happening place with a great atmosphere, and both the Irish band and the contemporary one that followed were great! I loved my appropriately green drinks, and the food was very good. My friend and I both ordered the Shepherd's Pie; it was wonderful!! I especially love the bread and butter! They were so good!! (and I was quite happy they accidentally brought us two servings of it). All the staff here were extremely friendly and helpful, despite it being so crowded. It was a perfect place to go both on St. Patrick's Day Weekend and year-round. It's everything an Irish pub should be! A great place to go for an evening or before or after the movies.

Visited March 2013
Aurora, Colorado
“Friendly staff, good food, nice atmosphere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

This was our first trip to O'Faolains and we were glad we went. First, you can make reservations on Open Table which is nice, so we made reservations for 6:00 pm on a Sat night - it wasn't really necessary as there were lots of open tables when we arrived. It's located in a strip mall type area so doesn't look like much from the outside - plenty of parking obviously due to the location.

We were seated right away and our waiter came over soon after to take drink orders. My wife ordered the prime rib special and I ordered a hamburger. We decided not to order an appetizer as we planned to split a dessert. We were glad we skipped the appetizer as the waiter brought out a bread basket that had regular white bread and a zucchini bread. The zucchini bread was outstanding! The waiter told us it was home made and the manager later told us it was something he and the chef came up with on a whim and it was so popular they now sell it by the loaf.

My wife's prime rib was cooked as ordered, medium, and it was delicious. My burger was very good as well, though I asked for medium and it was a little overcooked, but not dried out. The waiter also told me it didn't come with raw onion on it, just onion strings, but he was wrong on that count. No problem as I just took off the raw onion. My wife had a soda I had 2 O'Faolain Pale Ales with dinner and they were very good - $4 a pint which I thought was very reasonable.

We ordered the managers special for dessert, profiterole - 3 small cream puffs filled with vanilla ice cream, laid on a raspberry sauce and drizzled with hot chocolate - excellent!

The manager came by to ask how our meal was, and he delivered the dessert as well. He gave us dessert on the house, maybe just because we told him this was our first visit and we were very pleased with the meal. The bill would have been $49 total for the two of us if we paid for the dessert, and was $43 when that was taken off.

The whole staff was extremely friendly, the atmosphere is very relaxing, it was quiet so you can carry on a normal conversation, and the food and service were great. It should say something that it is about a 25 mile jaunt for us to go but we will definitely go back, and recommend it to our friends. Was very impressed.

• Visited March 2013