After a flight got cancelled, the airline sent me to the Comfort Inn to spend the night. I walked outside to the hotel shuttle stand and saw the hotel van drive up. I was standing too far from the correct pick up location so I started running after the van. I shouted, please stop and the van slowed down but did not make a full stop. If the van had stopped at it's designated location, I would have made it easily. I found it odd that the van did not stop at all to see if there were any passengers. I waited for about another 15 minutes before the van came back. I was standing in the correct location now. I waved my hand and looked directly at the driver. This time he did stop. BUT he stopped for two seconds, looked at me and drove away. He did not even stop to inform me that he couldn't pick up any passengers at the moment or that he would come back. I could clearly see that the van was not full. I immediately called the hotel to ask why did the shuttle come by twice but did not stop to pick up passengers. The woman on the phone said she did not know why and that she would radio him to come back. Within a few minutes, the van returned with a few passengers already inside but there were still a couple of seats.
I finally checked into my room and within a few minutes went to the "business center" to send an email informing friends of my cancelled flight. The "business center" consists of two computers in a corner of the front lobby by the front door. The printer did not work and had about five pieces of paper. One of the computers was lacking a mouse. Later that evening, someone put in a new mouse but I am not sure if the printer ever got to working.
After about an hour and half later, I ran into a few of the people that were on my cancelled flight. One woman who was ahead of me in line to change flights was checking in. I asked her what took her so long to get to the hotel because she was ahead of me. She said after she picked up her checked baggage (which I did not have to do and so was out on the curve sooner waiting for the shuttle), she and the others had to wait 45 minutes for the shuttle driver.
If it were not for the experience of the hotel's shuttle driver, I would probably have a better impression of the hotel. But unfortunately, he was the first representative of the hotel and he didn't make a good impression on any of us.
The room was fine. It was quite large with a mini frig, sink, sofa, coffee table, and desk. There was nothing really anything wrong with the room. But just also nothing so fabulous to write home about either.
The hotel also offered free breakfast. The offerings were not bad. Cheese omelette, no sausage or bacon, waffles, mini pastries, juices, cereal, toast, and bagels. Nothing fancy but quite enough for me. It was also nice to bring the food back to the room. The breakfast was offered in the front lobby of the hotel and there was also a huge flat screen tv. The lobby looked like it had recently been updated and it did look nice. The pictures on the hotel website of the lobby are accurate.
Upon check out, I realized after speaking with the airline the night before regarding my rescheduled flight that I should arrive at the airport earlier rather than later to confirm my changed plans. So even though the night before I told the front desk that I needed the shuttle at 11:00, I arrived at the front desk at 10:00 and asked if I could go to the airport. I was told that since I had told them 11:00, they couldn't change their plans. So I had to wait for the original time. I find that to be a problem. People's plans do change and I sat in the lobby waiting for an entire hour and the shuttle did not move in that entire time. We were only ten minutes away from the airport.
So, I don't think this hotel has too much going for it. especially with a shuttle service that is unreliable and inflexible.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Comfort Inn & Suites Airport Dulles-Gateway. Leave your transportation needs to us, with our complimentary shuttle service to and from Washington Dulles International Airport. Our convenient location keeps you close to popular area attractions, including Dulles Expo Center and Redskins Training Park. We're also within walking distance to several eateries, such as Bertucci's and Logan's Steakhouse. During your stay, enjoy free WiFi internet access, breakfast, fitness center and business center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Choice Hotels, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and Odigeo so you can book your Comfort Inn & Suites Airport Dulles-Gateway reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Comfort Inn And Suites Airport Dulles-Gateway
- Comfort Inn & Suites Airport Dulles-Gateway Hotel Sterling
- Comfort Inn Sterling
- Quality Inn Sterling
- Sterling Quality Inn
- Sterling Comfort Inn