“Above average hotel close to Dulles International Airport” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #1 of 15 hotels in Sterling
Los Angeles, California
“Above average hotel close to Dulles International Airport”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Stayed at this hotel while stranded in Virginia during Hurricane Sandy. My room was spacious, clean and comfortable, with no complaints there. Having a refrigerator was vital during my stay. The breakfast is standard fare, nothing special. The airport shuttle was very convenient. I made use of it several times during the trip to get food and make travel plan changes. The internet connection is reasonably speedy with no dropouts. Staff was very helpful, particularly Nina and Velia.

The only things that keep this from being an all-positive review is that the room rate rose significantly during my stay and the absence of nearby restaurants. I realize that the room rate probably had little to do with the people there and was probably based on room scarcity during the disaster, but it was enough to bring the hotel down a notch. Also, there isn't much to eat within walking distance of the hotel (I was without a car after the storm) other than a fast food outlet that is on the other side of a major highway with no crosswalk. I walked several miles to one of the other hotels in the area for dinner. Not ideal, certainly. Delivery would probably be a better option.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

251 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Fayetteville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We stayed at the Comfort Inn and Suites on Dec. 4 because of the excellent proximity to Dulles Airport. We left our car at the hotel (prearranged) for 2 weeks. The hotel shuttle got us to the airport, as arranged, for an early flight to the west coast. We also stayed at the hotel on our return night, Dec. 18. We were picked up at the airport by the shuttle after a phone call to the front desk. By coincidence, we lucked into a free 'dinner' for both nights (both Tuesdays) at the hotel. It happens only on Tuesdays, and typically includes a pasta dish, two kinds of wings, salad, beverages (including beer and wine). Pretty decent fare, but not in any way fancy. Again, it's free! Depending on the occupancy of the hotel, the food disappears rather quickly between 6:00 and 6:15 PM. First come, first served.
The hotel is fairly cheap, clean, relatively quiet, and the staff is helpful and pleasant. Free breakfast is decent, too. Parking is right at the hotel. Ask for the Park, Sleep, Fly rate if that is your focus. One big flaw is the lack of food venues near the hotel. There are none. The shuttle will take you to a local venue if you request it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Texarkana, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Room was clean, had a neat window seat that my kids LOVED. Beds were comfy. Toiletries smelled nice. Wasn't too small, laid out nicely so I didn't feel too cramped. Room had a pretty good collection of restaurant delivery menus, and many of them didn't charge a delivery fee.

Didn't have many power outlets, but then again we need more than the average family when we travel (hubby is a geek and travels with a lot of phones/tablets/laptops that all need to charge). Breakfast was sub-par and all on disposable dishes, but they did have a waffle-maker and batter dispenser. No refrigerator or microwave in the room.

Close to the airport, which was nice when we got there to be able to get to our hotel quickly, but there's nothing close by. Next time we'll probably stay somewhere closer to attractions.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Boulder, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

very good hotel but the location is very bad ( nothing there!! )

service + value + sleep quality + cleanliness + rooms = very good

location = very bad but it's too close to the airport

swimming pool = i didn't see an swimming pool !

restaurant = there is just a breakfast and it's very good but you have to order from any restaurant for the lunch and dinner

** thank you Velia for giving me a good price

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I am another who was stranded at this hotel during hurricane Sandy (three nights at the end of October 2012). Fortunately, American Airlines put me in touch with this property at a good rate. It was a pleasant stay despite the situation, primarily because of the staff and the clean, well-maintained, attractive property. To everybody's good fortune, we had no blackouts or damaging and rain.

The staff, especially Velia at the front desk, were friendly and helpful during a difficult time, although it would have been more helpful if they had pointed out restaurant menus, delivery services, etc., that I found by the second day. I considered giving this good hotel just three stars for location. Yes, it has shuttle proximity to Dulles Airport, but it is close to NOTHING except a Hyatt property across the driveway. As I said to my friends and family, "I am sitting out the hurricane in a field of weeds" without a car, a restaurant, or a grocery store. The first morning, I walked the distance of 3-4 blocks in pouring rain to get hot dogs from a service station I had spotted from my window. Day two: excellent Chinese food delivered to the lobby (menu hidden behind the front desk). By day three, I had learned the ropes and had door-to-door service to a hamburger place.

I appreciated the very good breakfast buffet and the hotel's ability to deliver it during a hurricane. Wireless service in my room was excellent.

The field of weeds cries out for development. Meanwhile, I would not pay this hotel's normal price to stay in the middle of nowhere, even with good weather and a car.

Room Tip: As with other hotels, I recommend staying away from the elevator area.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Sterling, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We had a "park and ride" package for Dulles airport. After our international travel of 20 hours we waited for over an hour for our pickup at the airport (they kept saying 10 to 15 minutes). Another couple going here had been waiting almost an hour before us. We wound up getting a ride with a sympathetic Hyatt taxi and tipped him well..... The room is a dump. No shower in the a.m. as the water was cold. Our 9:00 wake up call came at 7:30. The wifi didn't work without going into some Yahoo backdoor. Never again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
comfortdullesgm, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Airport Dulles-Gateway, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you for your comment about your recent experience at this year's freshly renovated Comfort Inn & Suites. I remember speaking to you the next morning about the shuttle transportation, and I am glad I could refund you for the expenses on the Hyatt taxi you've used instead. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. We are already in process to improve the communication between our Front Desk staff and our shuttle driver. The other difficulties, which you missed to mention that morning, will be addressed to our maitenance and IT department. We are deeply sorry for all the inconvience you experienced. I want to ensure you that all comments are taken seriously, so we can improve our service. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

Regards,
Jay Javid
Black Mountain, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Our connecting flight was cancelled due to Sandy. (We had booked this Comfort Inn ahead of time in case our International connection to domestic didn't allow enough time) The Inn is close enough to the airport. The room was spacious, well appointed with couch, refrigerator, microwave, wet bar, large LCD TV. The problem we had was that the staff were ill prepared to "manage" guests, etc. when the hurricane started to approach the area. There are restaurants in the area...but a couple miles away. They usually deliver...but, delivery, shuttle stopped while Sandy was raging. We asked the desk if they were going to open up the breakfast bar so stranded guests could get something to eat. The answer was NO! We were told that there was a vending machine with candy bars and sodas. We asked if the building was equiped with a generator in case the power went out. The answer was "I don't know". Fortunately, we didn't have a power outage. However, being stuck for 2 1/2 days with only breakfast available from 6-10 a.m. doesn't cut it when one doesn't have the means to leave to go somewhere for food. When we finally were able to rent a car (flights continued to be cancelled) we had to wait for "on the hour" shuttle service to go back to the airport. There were quite a few "stranded" guests at the hotel. It would have made all the difference in the world if management would have typed up something to sslip under guests doors, or at least post out at the desk. The desk staff simply acted as if it were any day...and not one where thousands of peoples lives were being altered...No compassion or consideration. A simple update for the guests and some granola bars, yogurt, or pieces of fruit would have garnered a lot of goodwill in a very stressful time for travelors.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
comfortdullesgm, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Airport Dulles-Gateway, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. It is true that many guests got stranded at our property from October 28th - 30th 2012 due to Hurricane Sandy. I stayed myself at the hotel the night when Sandy hit.
A lot of restaurants were opened during the storm, and many of the guests took advantage of their delivery services. We even had our weekly Manager's Reception, which was annouced by a sign at the reception desk. This complimentary offer includes dinner buffet, beer and wine.
We do have back up battery for the emergency lights in the hallways, which lasts up to 6 hours, but thankfully we did not have to make use of it since there was no power loss. We also purchased extra flashlights to give out to the guests in case of power outage.
We do appreciate that you took your time to leave a comment, and hope to see you again!
Regards, Jay Javid

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites Airport Dulles-Gateway? Share your experiences!