“Stay anywhere else but here.” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Sterling
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Stay anywhere else but here.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

AVOID THIS PLACE LIKE THE PLAGUE. Recently stayed for about 9 days at this particular location and it was a fiasco from the get go. Issues with my card had me on the phone going back and forth with the manager and my reservation rep for about three hours. I finally got to my room, a reserved "non smoking" room, and it stunk to high hell of smoke. There was a sign that said no smoking, but it was on a smoking floor and obviously people had smoked in it before. So I complained to the manager, and he said there was nothing he could do about it. He stated it was a smoking floor blah blah blah. So all of my clothes eventually picked up the disgusting smell and everything else acquired it throughout the week as well. My bedsheets were always damp from I don't know what but the cleaning staff only cleaned and changed sheets on Fridays so I was SOL again as the manager basically put it to me. I would have continued to fight over a better room and new sheets had I not been down for orientation for a new job and needed my sleep after long days of training, briefing, and more training and briefing. So there I was wearing brand new business clothes stinking of smoke after a night's sleep in damp, or moist rather, sheets. I felt disgusting, smelled disgusting, and was absolutely disgusted with the hotel and the laughable attempt at customer service. To boot, my car was hit overnight by another car on the premises. I had no time to call the police as I had to go to work. I eventually made it to the hotel manager who did nothing to help me at all once again. AVOID THIS PLACE LIKE THE PLAGUE

Room Tip: If every other hotel is burned to the ground and you can't camp in your vehicle, make sure to ge...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
cndlherndon, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel Dulles Sterling, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Hello Peter H! I am sorry that you were not happy with our hotel during your stay. Normally, when guests aren't happy with the room type they got, we move them to a different room. Given the time of your reservation, I am assuming that we were probably sold out the nights you were in our hotel (which is always the case in the summer time). And if you were given a smoking room, I believe it’s because that was the room type you were booked in. Situations like this occur when a reservation was booked through a third-party website such as Hotwire, Priceline, etc. You get a discounted room rate but you have to prepay for it and your room type is non-guaranteed. I can assure you, we will not put you in a smoking room if you were guaranteed a non-smoking room. As for someone hitting your car in the parking lot, I’m sorry you felt we didn't do anything about it. Situations like this are not within our grasp and since there are no cameras outside our parking lot, there is no way for us to know who could have hit your car. It is very unfortunate that all these things happened during your stay, but I’m still hoping you will not close your door on us. Please keep us in mind if in the future you need a place to stay that can accommodate your basic needs at a lower rate. Thank you for writing us a review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

During the recent DC power outages my wife and I stayed here and tried to find ways to avoid being in the room. Booked a non-smoking room online but all they had was smoking. Would have stayed elsewhere, but other hotels were booked up. Price was decent, but I cannot say it was a good value. Worst hotel I have stayed at in a while.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
cndlherndon, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel Dulles Sterling, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear LJG22046, I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay. It is unfortunate that you stayed in a room type you did not book. Due to the widespread power outage in the area, all the hotels were booked. And of course, the first rooms to go were the nonsmoking suites. If you were to stay with us under different circumstances, I am sure you will find that it is worth staying at Suburban and that we can give you the best value for your buck. I am in the hopes that you will give us another chance to serve you in the future. Thank you for writing us a review.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

I lived here for three months while my boyfriend and I were between leases. First, the location is far from everything but strip malls. Expect to do a lot of driving. For our purposes it was perfect, but I wouldn't recommend it for tourists. The rooms are small but have everything you need for a long stay- two burner stove, microwave, sink, table and chairs, silverware, and a tiny closet. The bathroom was relatively new and clean. Housekeeping did a great job every monday and even did our dishes! The towels did sometimes smell musty, there were scuffs on the walls, and the pillows sucked, we used our own. Parking is easy and the desk staff are friendly and helpful with things like fresh towels, change, directions, stuff like that.

In the end - This is the cheapest month to month option we could find in the area, you get what you'd expect from the cheapest.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear quixoticsplash, I am happy we got to be of service to you for three months and you found our amenities useful to you during your stay. Please keep in mind that you are welcome to contact the front desk anytime you have any concerns that need to be addressed. I will make sure that we take care of the things you mentioned in your review that needs improvement. We value your opinion and I thank you for taking the time to write us a review.
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

the property is in excellent location and effordable to any common tourist and business people i very much appreciate the freindly and cooperative behaviour mr mr glenn the reception staff rooms were cleanand decent overall experice is fantastic

Room Tip: rooms in gound floor are low noisy and good view also
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Hello samarroy! I am delighted that we have exceeded your expectations during your stay. Thank you for taking the time to write us a review on tripadvisor. Looking forward to your next visit with us.
Raleigh NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Placed self and partner into filthy room with walls covered in filth amd shoe scuffs (as if an entire football team had a fight in there).,, floors and carpet dirt covered and disgusting, cheap pillows for toddler sized person, dirty towels received from desk, nonfunctioning $5 iron and no access to hairdryer! It was a cluster! Also, No spreads on beds , mismatched linens and towels (some with holes), no coffee at hotel, and an all or nothing air conditioner, torn up chair (not the sofa i was promised). I am enduriated and incensed.

• Stayed June 2012
Dear BJMIllerRaleighNC, I am sorry to hear you did not get the best impression of our hotel during your stay. Please be assured that we always make sure our room is clean and in good condition before we sell it to new guests. We also do not give dirty towels when a guest requests for fresh ones. Although our hotel brand doesn't offer hairdryers in the rooms, we do have a fully-equipped kitchen that includes a refrigerator, cooktop, microwave oven, coffee maker, etc. I hope you will allow us to resolve any of your issues next time you are with us. We are dedicated to ensuring you always have a comfortable stay. Please give us another try and I promise you, you will not be disappointed.
Sterling, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

I have been residing at the Suburban for approx 1 month. Being away from home is not easy. On the other hand the staff here work hard on the premises and make your stay enjoyable.

The one instance that I required assistance from the management, Mr. Hutchins, the general manager took care of everything. I would recommend this facility. It is good value for your money.

Robert

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
cndlherndon, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel Dulles Sterling, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Thank you Robert L for taking the time to write us a review. It is always a pleasure to be of service to wonderful guests like you. I am happy you chose to stay at our hotel. Should you need assistance with anything, please do not hesitate to contact me or the front desk. I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay with us.
Alexandria, Egypt
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Travelling over 70% of the month in this area - a last minute scheduling landed me in this location. My agent wasnt sure from the picture what I may encounter and there is a 24Hr cancellation had I arrived early I wouldnt be able to cancel after reviewing - but when she said what the cost would be I said are you sure - and I said what the hell I could lose that if it was a dive.

I was genuinely suprised at the cleanliness, exterior and interior of the hotel - for the value - I would absolutely utilize the facility - the fitness area is ok and the WIFI is great. My only complaint is there is a smell in the building that reminds me of doing laundry in the basement of my manhattan apartment other than that - this is a great value for the money at anytime in the Northern VA, DC market.

Most importantly the attendant at the desk - Reggy - what an awesome guy - he has the right attitude and disposition to manage customers in an hospitality environment.

I have already sent an email to my agent to add this location to my profile.

Room Tip: Stay on the side of the building away from the Candlewood Suites which shares the parking lot - they...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
cndlherndon, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel Dulles Sterling, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Thank you baker3243553 for your appreciation of our team members' hard work. They are responsible in maintaining the cleanliness of the hotel and giving you the best possible service any hotel can give. I'll make sure Reggie reads your review. I am pretty sure he'll be delighted to know that you complimented him on tripadvisor.

I never noticed the laundry smell in the hotel before but I'll see to it that this gets taken cared of. Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, we hope to see again soon.

Been to Suburban Extended Stay Hotel Dulles Sterling? Share your experiences!