“Home Away from Home” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 15 hotels in Sterling
Shutesbury, Massachusetts
“Home Away from Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

Relaxing place to stay. Everything is easy and done for you. I didn't have anything to worry about. The room was clean, comfortable beds!, WIFI, and wonderful employees- easy to talk to and very helpful!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

96 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

I recently stayed at the Candlewood Suites Sterling and am very happy to rate this hotel as an excellent stay. My room was perfect - big, full refrigerator, very clean. I had all the items I needed and then some. I wasn’t expecting laundry basket! I stayed for a week, being new to the area and having a new job and also looking around for future living arrangements. The staff was great - always able to offer good suggestions on where to eat, shop and what areas would be closest to my work. The shuttle service is Monday thru Friday and very convenient! I took the shuttle to work a couple of times and the service was perfect. I may have already found my future home - big suite, full kitchen, great shuttle service and a very helpful staff!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

All around great hotel. The hotel itself and rooms were very clean. It backs up to Walmart and Sams Club with the Dulles Town Center Mall very close by. Only negative item would have to be the shuttle hours of service.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
SterlingHotelMgr1, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Hotel Sterling, responded to this review, February 15, 2011
We are an extended stay hotel that provides shuttle service with hours Mon to Fri. We have found that most of our guests are not here on the weekends and it does not make sence for a hotel like ours, to have shuttle service on the weekends. On the positive note, fortunatly, we are walking distance to the Dulles Town Center mall and dozens of fantastic restaurants in the area!
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

I stayed at the Candlewood for a month in June during a relocation. They welcomed me and my 60-lbs Labrador for only an additional $150 for the month. It was clean, comfortable, and quiet. I had never stayed at an extended stay before so I was a little hesitant because I thought it might be run down or the other guests might be sketchy. I was pleasantly surprised! The hotel was clean, comfortable, and quiet. I would say the other guests are a mix of contract workers, short term projects, military, relocations, and divorcees in transition. Just normal people who need to spend more than a couple of nights in one place. It was the perfect amount of space and all the comforts my dog and I needed. The hotel is situated in a shopping mecca where virtually every big box store and discount retailer is within about a mile. It is a tremendous value - free wifi, free laundry, free decent size gym, free printer in the lobby, gas grille and picnic tables on the hotel grounds, and bargain priced sundry items in the "Candlewood Cupboard" where you sign a slip of paper saying how much your item you are taking is worth. Where else can you get a can of Diet Coke for 50 cents? Certainly not at a regular hotel's vending machine! I had appointments all over the Metro area and ended up putting about 200 miles on my car every day because it is in the extreme western suburbs of DC. But, i would have put a lot of miles on my car regardless of where i stayed. I just want to echo what other reviewers have said about Sterling's distance from Washington. Stay here if you need to be in the vicinity of Dulles Airport/Leesburg/Sterling for work or whatever. It's a comfortable spot that is a good value. And if you're a Sam's Club member, you can get gas next door at a major discount over regular gas stations!

Laila, the manager of this hotel, is especially responsive and professional. She has a well-trained and polite staff. She even sent two faxes for me for free! And they accept mail and packages for you at the desk and do it well. I stayed at the Bethesda Hyatt that lost my FedEx and gave me nothing but attitude about it! I don't know what the rates are next door at the Suburban Extended Stay, but this place looks like the Ritz in comparison.

Also, if you're traveling with a dog, there is a doggie day care a few miles away called The Animal's House. I also found the Algonquin Park nearby to be a great place for train running and other activities. If you have kids, there is a water park there and it's just a few miles away, too.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

I had a 2 week reservation at this very convenient hotel to my business location. After 2 days of housekeepers SHOUTING down the hallways and SLAMMING doors constantly, beginning at 8:30 A.M.......I checked out! And guests slamming doors continuously! While relaxing in your room it sounds like a battlefield in the hallways! And you mean the management doesn't hear this?!?!
Obviously the staff needs to be trained and the guests are not all at fault. If the management would just adjust the doors so they can't be slammed. It's pretty simple. I have stayed in hotels that have these very same doors and they are next to impossible to slam shut.
Also, at this hotel they put the open trash carts (full) near the doorway, inside. By 4:00 P.M. it is awful!
As for the room, it was fairly clean upon my check-in. The door latch was loose....obviously beacuse the staff puts them between the door and bangs them each and everytime they go out of the room.
It's too bad because all this hotel needs is some management follow-up. I met most on the staff and all were very nice and well groomed.
Make it better, folks, because I'd love to give it one more shot!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Hotel Sterling, responded to this review, September 8, 2010
It is unfortunate that these issues were not brought to the Managements attention prior to the guest leaving. However, we are so grateful that we were made aware of the noise problem! It is only with feedback like this, both negative and positive that we can continue to improve our hotels service and customer experience so that each and every guest can be as comfortable as possible during their stay at their home away from home.

Immediately after this situation prevailed, the room doors were adjusted, trash is taken out on a regular basis, and the staff has been strictly advised to remember to keep their voices down. Mornings with the staff are generally a time not only to get their work assignments, but a time for group meetings. These meetings are often like a pep rally to get everyone esthetic for the day! However, we have since moved the location of the meeting to the employee break room to keep the noise level away from any guest rooms.

Again, we so much appreciate all and any feedback, and hope we are able to address anything immediately, prior to guest’s departure.
India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

This is a nice hotel, close to the Dulles airport (15 minutes drive) and the hotel also provides a complimentary shuttle back and forth from the hotel to the airport (and also within a 5 mile radius from the hotel). This is very good for travellers and people with work in this area.

I have there over 3 weeks and had a kitchen suite. they offer free laundry machine and dryer and a free gym. The only thing that i missed was lack of a swimming pool.

There is a walmart and a best buy next door, and also the dulles town centre for shopping. Lots of places to eat nearby.
They also have free dvd rentals from their small but decent inhouse collection.
I would recommend this hotel highly to business travellers or people needing a place for a longer stay.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Florence, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2010

We found this hotel online, and thought we were getting a really great deal! It was advertised as being close to Washington D.c. and the Dulles Airport, as out of towners we spent almost our whole vacation getting lost and driving. The actual hotel was really nice, no problems at all there, the staff was great, room was clean, etc. just didn't like the location At all

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Candlewood Suites Hotel Sterling? Share your experiences!