“Pet-friendly place to use as a home base in VA suburbs!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Sterling
Denver, Colorado
“Pet-friendly place to use as a home base in VA suburbs!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

I stayed at the Candlewood for a month in June during a relocation. They welcomed me and my 60-lbs Labrador for only an additional $150 for the month. It was clean, comfortable, and quiet. I had never stayed at an extended stay before so I was a little hesitant because I thought it might be run down or the other guests might be sketchy. I was pleasantly surprised! The hotel was clean, comfortable, and quiet. I would say the other guests are a mix of contract workers, short term projects, military, relocations, and divorcees in transition. Just normal people who need to spend more than a couple of nights in one place. It was the perfect amount of space and all the comforts my dog and I needed. The hotel is situated in a shopping mecca where virtually every big box store and discount retailer is within about a mile. It is a tremendous value - free wifi, free laundry, free decent size gym, free printer in the lobby, gas grille and picnic tables on the hotel grounds, and bargain priced sundry items in the "Candlewood Cupboard" where you sign a slip of paper saying how much your item you are taking is worth. Where else can you get a can of Diet Coke for 50 cents? Certainly not at a regular hotel's vending machine! I had appointments all over the Metro area and ended up putting about 200 miles on my car every day because it is in the extreme western suburbs of DC. But, i would have put a lot of miles on my car regardless of where i stayed. I just want to echo what other reviewers have said about Sterling's distance from Washington. Stay here if you need to be in the vicinity of Dulles Airport/Leesburg/Sterling for work or whatever. It's a comfortable spot that is a good value. And if you're a Sam's Club member, you can get gas next door at a major discount over regular gas stations!

Laila, the manager of this hotel, is especially responsive and professional. She has a well-trained and polite staff. She even sent two faxes for me for free! And they accept mail and packages for you at the desk and do it well. I stayed at the Bethesda Hyatt that lost my FedEx and gave me nothing but attitude about it! I don't know what the rates are next door at the Suburban Extended Stay, but this place looks like the Ritz in comparison.

Also, if you're traveling with a dog, there is a doggie day care a few miles away called The Animal's House. I also found the Algonquin Park nearby to be a great place for train running and other activities. If you have kids, there is a water park there and it's just a few miles away, too.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

I had a 2 week reservation at this very convenient hotel to my business location. After 2 days of housekeepers SHOUTING down the hallways and SLAMMING doors constantly, beginning at 8:30 A.M.......I checked out! And guests slamming doors continuously! While relaxing in your room it sounds like a battlefield in the hallways! And you mean the management doesn't hear this?!?!
Obviously the staff needs to be trained and the guests are not all at fault. If the management would just adjust the doors so they can't be slammed. It's pretty simple. I have stayed in hotels that have these very same doors and they are next to impossible to slam shut.
Also, at this hotel they put the open trash carts (full) near the doorway, inside. By 4:00 P.M. it is awful!
As for the room, it was fairly clean upon my check-in. The door latch was loose....obviously beacuse the staff puts them between the door and bangs them each and everytime they go out of the room.
It's too bad because all this hotel needs is some management follow-up. I met most on the staff and all were very nice and well groomed.
Make it better, folks, because I'd love to give it one more shot!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Hotel Sterling, responded to this review, September 8, 2010
It is unfortunate that these issues were not brought to the Managements attention prior to the guest leaving. However, we are so grateful that we were made aware of the noise problem! It is only with feedback like this, both negative and positive that we can continue to improve our hotels service and customer experience so that each and every guest can be as comfortable as possible during their stay at their home away from home.

Immediately after this situation prevailed, the room doors were adjusted, trash is taken out on a regular basis, and the staff has been strictly advised to remember to keep their voices down. Mornings with the staff are generally a time not only to get their work assignments, but a time for group meetings. These meetings are often like a pep rally to get everyone esthetic for the day! However, we have since moved the location of the meeting to the employee break room to keep the noise level away from any guest rooms.

Again, we so much appreciate all and any feedback, and hope we are able to address anything immediately, prior to guest’s departure.
India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

This is a nice hotel, close to the Dulles airport (15 minutes drive) and the hotel also provides a complimentary shuttle back and forth from the hotel to the airport (and also within a 5 mile radius from the hotel). This is very good for travellers and people with work in this area.

I have there over 3 weeks and had a kitchen suite. they offer free laundry machine and dryer and a free gym. The only thing that i missed was lack of a swimming pool.

There is a walmart and a best buy next door, and also the dulles town centre for shopping. Lots of places to eat nearby.
They also have free dvd rentals from their small but decent inhouse collection.
I would recommend this hotel highly to business travellers or people needing a place for a longer stay.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Florence, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2010

We found this hotel online, and thought we were getting a really great deal! It was advertised as being close to Washington D.c. and the Dulles Airport, as out of towners we spent almost our whole vacation getting lost and driving. The actual hotel was really nice, no problems at all there, the staff was great, room was clean, etc. just didn't like the location At all

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Summerville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2010

This was the best hotel we have been to. The evening clerk, Viet, was extremely helpful. We only had one issue with our room, the exhaust fan didn't work. Since it was late the maintentance team corrected the problem the next morning. The hotel was very close to shopping and only about 20 to 30 minutes from Washington, DC. My family and I would gladly choose this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
sterling
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2009

I had the opportunity to stay at the Candlewood Suites in Sterling for several months as my husband adjusted to a job relocation to that area. The amazingly kind services from the staff eased a nervous family almost immediately. The room was open, extremely clean and very family friendly to our every need. Having a baby as well as a young child, safety was also another concern swiftly taken away. The staff was always immediate in assisting in any and all needs we had. I would highly offer this property to any family in the same boat. We even came to miss the staff in leaving. it really should be modeled after as the Sales Manager even made herself available to our needs. That is a service just now found these days. Kudos Candlewood for having equipped that property with the right staff to truly stand out in todays market.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
Sterling
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

Lived at the Hotel for approximately 7 months. During my period, the staff treated us very well and the amenities were adequate. The service was that of a three or four star place. The only complaint I had was the billing cycle and when my card was billed.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family

Been to Candlewood Suites Hotel Sterling? Share your experiences!