“Average Stay with mixed feelings” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #7 of 15 hotels in Sterling
USA
“Average Stay with mixed feelings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2006

We left with very mixed reviews. Firstly, we paid $159 + taxes/night for a one bedroom suite. We stayed for a week in November.

Upon booking the Candlewood website gave me no indication that you are responsible for taking your own trash out, picking up your own towels and if you run out of toilet paper you need to request it from the front desk. Half the front desk staff was amazingly nice and gracious and half was not too thrilled to be there. If you stay under a week no one will clean your room at all.

Now we booked a one bedroom suite, with a pull out sofa. The pull out sofa was painfully uncomfortable, and I would not suggest anyone attempt to sleep on it. I found the bedding to be scratchy, and the drapes allow in a great deal of light early in the morning. Also the word suite makes you think the room will be larger than you average room. However, while the suite was larger than your average hotel room, it was not that much larger.

If you are a night owl like myself, and want to ask the front desk for anything, you should do it before 11 p.m. as the front desk shuts down at 11 p.m. and starts back up again at 7 a.m. I think that someone is in the back and you need to dial 0 for assistance but they put up signs stating their hours and encourage you to come back during operating hours.

To be fair there are a lot of great things about the hotel as well. It is immaculacy clean, everything is gleaming new, it is extremely close to IAD airport and they have a free shuttle that runs late. They have all the conveniences, shopping and food within a 5 minute walk, sometimes only a 1-2 minute walk away. Walmart, Sam’s Club, Nordstrom, Cheesecake Factory, Wegman’-anything you could possibly need is right there.
The kitchen was fully equipped kitchen including full-size refrigerator with ice maker, dishwasher, microwave, and stovetop, plus a variety of dishes, cookware. There was a large area with two-line phone and free high-speed Internet access. As well 2 televisions with DVD player

However, I was really put off by the price $159/night + taxes for what seemed like an experience with almost no basic customer service. For that price one would be expecting some better customer service, a breakfast included or maybe some nicer bedding and towels.

Stayed November 2006

85 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2006

Stayed here for 9 days recently

Hotel is in a great location with lots of nearby shops (Walmart, Sams, Best Buy, Dulles Town Center) and restaurants (Chili's, Uno's, Longhorns,...).

Room was clean and had a full sized fridge, dishwasher, and microwave. There was also plates, pots, pans, and utensils.

Wireless internet is free. There is also a jack or wired internet but I did not try it. Local calls are also free.

There was a DVD/VCR player and free movie rentals. TV had a god variety of channels including HBO, ESPN, and kids channels such as Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, and Disney.

There are 2 barbeques outside that are available for guests. They also have a free barbeque once a month which I was lucky enough to enjoy!

Laundry facilities are free to use. There is a small gym. The Candlewood Cupboard had a variety of items at a reasonable price (50 cents for a can of Coke).

My only complaint was that the water pressure in the shower was not great.

One thing that I found odd was that the only towel rack was just above the toilet so there was nowhere to hang a towel other than on a hook on the bathroom wall.

Just a comment on the other post. I inspected thoroughly and I saw no bed bugs.

I would stay here again. In fact, I have already booked another reservation for next month.

• Liked — location, fridge, microwave, free internet
  • Disliked — low waer pressure in shower
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2006

This was a decent place to stay. The kitchenette was great with a full size fridge, microwave and a couple electric burners for cooking. There was also a dishwasher and the necessary dishes, cookware and silverware.

However, several days into my stay, I found a bed bug on the bedspread. We haven't found any other bugs or evidence of a large infestation, but this was still disturbing The manager seemed surprised to find out there were bed bugs in our room. However, when the housekeeper came to the room to change the sheets, we asked her if she had seen any bugs and she said that there were lots of bugs at the hotel. I find it hard to believe that we are the first to alert the manager to this problem.

Also, although the room was nonsmoking, it still had a musty smoke smell each time we entered the room.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
, Operating Partner/Manager at Candlewood Suites Hotel Sterling, responded to this review, June 16, 2006
As the Manager of this hotel, when the guest informed us of this situation, we were stunned. I opened this property less than 2 years ago and take much pride in it as I am also the Operating Partner.

We called in the Pest Control Specialist the next day. I went into the suite with him and took everything apart to search for more. As the Specialist relayed to me, bed bugs do not travel in 1's, they multiply expediently, and they will always leave signs behind. Nothing else was found.

When our housekeepers go into suites, oftentimes guests talk to them, they smile and nod. Not one of ours speaks much English . . . This housekeeper was probably misunderstood.

I would like to thank this person for writing a review and it is unfortunate their information was misunderstood. We appreciate all comments, both positive and negative, this is one way that we can truely provide GREAT service!
Reston, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2006

This is a really nice place to stay in this area. It's not stuck in the middle of a bunch of stuff, but still close enough to drive (nothing really within walking distance except for WalMart, Best Buy, etc.).
Like the one other Candlewood I've stayed at (Salt Lake City, UT) the rooms are spacious, very clean and modern. Great gym, a pantry with snacks and toiletries, movies to check out. There's a Wegman's grocery store within 5-minutes. Restaurants, theater, book stores, Dulles Town Center mall also within 5-minutes.

• Stayed April 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2005

If you are like me and don't usually like hotels, the candlewood is perfect. Nice roomy rooms (we got the suite with bedroom), fully equiped kitchen and great internet (wired and wireless)

I brought my family along for this business trip from europe and I am very happy I did it.. .except for the jet lag.

The hotel is close to shopping, has a nice gym is very clean and new. I strongly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business

Been to Candlewood Suites Hotel Sterling? Share your experiences!