“QUESTIONABLE FOR SOME THINGS” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Sterling
Shippensburg
“QUESTIONABLE FOR SOME THINGS”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

All in all, not a bad experience. Was greeted as a Priority Member with goodie bag which was very nice. Staff at desk was very courteous and helpful. Seemed pretty nice at first glance. I agree with the pool AC control. I hate those "environmental" units. I want my room COLD when I get back and am ready to sleep/relax....not having to wait for it to sense me in room. Also, I understand it is an Extended Stay place while AWAY from home working...but...it shouldn't be allowed to BE someone's home...I think there are people living there. Now I don't have a problem with that concept but it doesn't give people a right to use the entire building as a home. Also, they should run a shuttle 24 hours and provide a better airport parking option. We actually stayed there and booked parking with the hotel down the street which ran a great shuttle service and low parking cost. Would I stay here again?? If I had points to use for free....wouldn't pay...

Room Tip: I would say corner rooms but definitely away from elevators with all people there.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
SterlingHotelMgr1, Manager at Candlewood Suites Hotel Sterling, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
We are so happy to receive comments like this. It is only with feedback from our guests that we can continue to find ways to improve our hotel and service.

Many of our guests do use our Extended Stay Hotel as their home away from home, oftentimes, they are in town for a period of time on a contract or project. Some are even in between homes.

Since we are an Extended Stay Hotel, we do not provide airport Shuttle service. It just does not make sense for the majority type of traveler that we attract. Usually those that stay with us are working locally and have their own transportation or renal cars. At ONE time we did have an Airport Shuttle, but found it just was not getting used.

At Candlewood Suites, we focus on what we do best! That is provide temporary housing to that person who is looking for a solution for their longer than average stay in town. We can offer a GREAT SUITE with a Fully Equipped Kitchen, making those meal options much more affordable and sometimes healthier by being able to WALK to the local Supermarket and purchase food items to be prepared in their OWN Home Away From Home Suite!

We again, love all our Trip Advisor Comments and look forward to continuing to be the leader in the Extended Stay Hotels in the Dulles Area!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Somerset, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Awful!! First I noticed all the aimless men in the parking lot when I arrived. There were even more haning around at midnight when I returned from going out. Not a environment that made me feel safe at all. Next, the a/c goes off every time you leave the room, so you always get to come back to a nice HOT room, and they don't believe in using the a/c units in the hallways so it is muggy and hot going to and from your room. I don't know how old this hotel is, but it sure is run down. I guess they don't believe in maintenance either. Fixtures crooked and some coming out of the ceilings and walls. The pillows are indescribable, BRING YOU OWN PILLOW!! Thank God I did. The table that you're supposed eat and work on is broken and damn near falling over. The ONE TV in this tiny room is very small. I'm staying in a "standard" room, which I didn't realize was CODE for "studio". It is smaller then the average hotel room, and has a half a kitchenette stuffed in it. There are only 3 DRAWERS for your clothing and stuff. The shower was unclean, which I find replusive. The light in the bathroom is forever popping and making sounds not matter how long you leave it on. This room is WAY OVER PRICED. For 126 dollars a night I expect so much more the this low rent hotel room. I wish yelped offered a ZERO stars choice, I would have used it. I will never stay here again, in this town or any other. The staff are extremely rude and unprofessional. THIS IS A RUN DOWN, UNCLEAN SLEEZY HOTEL, AND IF IT WASN'T SO CLOSE TO DULLES AIRPORT THEY BE LUCKY TO GET 40 BUCKS A NICE. DISGUSTING. The coffee pot was missing a foot so it sat crooked, the dishwasher was beat all to heck. There are NO ammenities at this hotel by the way. With every single light on it is still dim in the rooms. I was locked out of my room while going to get the luggage cart before check out time. This was a huge ordeal and a horrible stay, I really can't say enough negative things about this place, and I'd be hard pressed to think of anything positive. There snack/tv dinner room was a joke, they had barely anything to eat. Totally out of ALL ice cream, nothing but a few bags of chip and some gross marie calendar tv dinners. Really lame. Do youself a favor, pay the extra for somewhere else, almost anywhere else (except the Suburban) it almost ajoining this hotel and it probably worse, if that could be possible.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
SterlingHotelMgr1, Manager at Candlewood Suites Hotel Sterling, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
We would like to first thank all of our guests who post comments, this is how we are able to continually improve our hotel and services.

This hotel is in a nice, business park and suburban area. We are not quite sure what was going on this evening this guest is referring to, but most of the time it is quiet, and our guests and staff feel very safe being here.

This summer was one of the hottest on record in Northern Virginia, our hallway air conditioner units are always on cool and working hard to keep the building comfortable. The suites do have a sensored unit which is our effort to keep our hotel Green and help the USA to save energy. Although, if a request is made to keep the unit running, we can always accommodate that.

Our Spacious Studio Suite is 336 SQ FT. It has a FULLY Equipped kitchen including a Full Size Refrigerator with Ice Maker, microwave, and all the dishes needed to make this a comfortable home away from home. In 2011 EVERY suite was replaced with a FLAT SCREEN 32"TV which we receive rave comments about! We are not an airport hotel, but we do offer great rates for weekly stays or more.

This Candlewood Suites does not have a restaurant or Dinner room, but in The Candlewood Cupboard, one can find simple, convenient items to get you through the afternoon, like Bottled Water, Soda, Muffins, or an array of candy to choose from until you can get to the SUPER WALMART, located walking distance from the hotel to stock up on you meals for the week! What a great way to continue ones diet by stocking your own refrigerator with food items that YOU choose!

At this Candlewood Suites Sterling one can enjoy GREAT Amenities, like FREE Internet Access, Exercise Room, FREE Coffee 24 hours a day provided by Maxwell House, and FREE use of Washers and Dryers.

We know that this newer, 8 years young hotel, is the best choice in town for ones extended stay travel needs, to the Dulles area!
Peoria, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

While not a fan of extended stay hotels or similar suite style motels I was impressed with the cleanliness and upkeep of this property. This is a high use motel but management and service seem to be on the ball. Although they were very busy when we arrived they still gave us an upgrade that was needed at a minimal cost. The area is nice in design and is close to the airport. No free breakfast here that I know of but with Hotwire it was a good value.

Room Tip: Often you will find companies send a group of workers to a place like this if their is a long term p...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
SterlingHotelMgr1, Manager at Candlewood Suites Hotel Sterling, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the compliments on the Cleanliness of our hotel! Our goal is to have every single guest have a quality experience such as yours. We appreciate you taking time to share your experience with others and are humbled by your kind words. It would be our pleasure to help you plan your next day of relaxation at the Candlewood. We look forward to serving you again. This is a great place to work and stay.

McLean, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

All of the staff we spoke to during our stay were very professional and courteous. Mr. Saruon Chuon was the diamond of the group. He went above and beyond to make our stay memorable and relaxing. When we wanted information on a day trip, instead of just pointing out the brochures he took the time to find out what our interests are and helped us find the perfect outing for us. In recent years it has become very noticable to me; that customer service has gone by the wayside, so quantity is valued higher than each individual customer. This employee has set a very high bar for anyone to follow. Because of this employee we will definately be a return guest, and look forward to seeing all of the friendly staff again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Yevette D,

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment in regards to the service you recieved during your stay at our Candlewood Suites Sterling. We pride ourselves on providing Great Customer Service and judging by your comments about Saroun, he did just that as we know he is a Diamond!

We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again for any future hotel needs.

Alexandria VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a week during a relocation to the Washington DC area. I stayed here because of the proximity to one of my sales stops in Leesburg VA. This hotel is quite a distance away from DC (especially in traffic) and I do not recommend it for lodging if you are visiting the capital. The room was very clean and stocked with plenty of toiletries for the week. Because this is an extended stay hotel, your bed will not be made and towels changed unless you request it and pay for it. Towels are exchanged at the front desk which is kind of annoying, but it's their policy. Laundry is free at this hotel which was appreciated because I did need to do laundry and they sell detergent etc right in the pantry. There are grocery stores nearby though if you had to buy a lot for a long stay. In the lobby, there are about 20 takeout menus for guests to order from or right up the block are 3 strip centers with plenty of choices. The pnatry sells snacks and microwavable meals (1 dollar for a small bag of pretzels is a lot when you can buy a giant bag at the store for a dollar more) and drinks. It's on the honor system so you fill out the slip with what you purchased and drop it in the box. I never saw anyone take advantage. The gym has 2 treadmills, and elliptical, a bike, and some weights which was good enough for my stay. The bed was comfortable for an extended stay and I liked the size of the desk to work from. The TV had ALL local and cable channels which was great unlike some hotel chains that have just the basics. Parking was adequate and is free. Because this is an extended stay you will see people walking around in their pajamas to do laundry, etc. The hotel was ok with it, but it does attract a certain type of traveler. Pets are allowed for a fee, and I did see some small dogs. I booked this hotel on Priceline and got a phenomenal rate and I recommend that you research rates nearby and bid lower. It is a great hotel if you are flying in and out of Dulles airport. I believe the hotel has a complimentary shuttle that it shares with Suburban Inns and Suites which is right next door. The front desk is not manned after 11pm so if you need anything or have questions, keep that in mind. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor if at all possible. Larger tour groups tend to book the lower leve...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
SterlingHotelMgr1, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Hotel Sterling, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Thanks to this guest for their honest remarks! We love that this is a place where guests can feel like they are at their home away from home and do laundry at anytime. Yes, the front desk is closed 11pm to 7am. But someone is on call and available 24 hours a day to assist you if you get locked out of your room or need immediate assistance for something else.

Shuttle, we actually do not have a shuttle service any longer. We are just 6 miles from Dulles Airport and walking distance to the Dulles Town Center Mall, the Super Walmart, and tons of shops and restaurants. We hope that you will give us a try on your next trip to Dulles!
Herndon, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

The normal for Candlewood is usually excellent. It was an older hotel, but was very clean and the staff was professional and friendly. Will certainly stay again.

Room Tip: It did not have swimming pool or restaurant
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
SterlingHotelMgr1, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Hotel Sterling, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Thank you for your comments! This hotel is 8 years old and has recently undergone minor renovations, 32" flat panel televisions and new beds this past year. We soon expect to have a brand new bedding package through Candlewood and are hopeful it will roll out this summer. We continue to update and revise our capital budget to assure we are keeping up with the times!
Manassas, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

Saruon Chuan was extremely helpfull and friendly. Fast check in. He always remembers me by name when checking in

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Dear David C.,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on the Customer Service you recieved by Saroun! We pride ourselves on providing the best customer service possible. And remembering repeat guests names is huge! We look forward to serving you again in the future!

Warmest Regards.

Been to Candlewood Suites Hotel Sterling? Share your experiences!