“Freshly made food with a price” 4 of 5 stars

703-444-5400
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Captain Mas seafood & Crab House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #48 of 203 Restaurants in Sterling
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Dining
Florida
“Freshly made food with a price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

The crab was excellant and fresh so you understand it will cost a little extra. If you don't mind that, then this is the place to try. Took my son & his family there for dinner while we were visiting. We went on a Monday for an early dinner with 4 adults, 1 teen and 2 children and were the only customers in the place. Wait staff courteous and friendly and I would be happy to go again, but without the kids $$$.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

70% Recommend
Frederick, MD
“Excellent food. So so atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

The outside reminds me of a Captain D's fast food joint. Inside the hostess greeted us with a cocktail dress. The look on the inside, you can tell it is a renovated Ruby Tuesday. Our waiter was excellent! very attentive, knew the menu. And his recommendations were spot on! The food was fantastic! Excellent crab cakes, and the crab quesadilla was fantastic! I did think that the prices and the atmosphere didn't quite match. But we will definitely be back!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sterling, Virginia
“A good addition to the area, but can it survive?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

This place has been open for a month or so. We got there on a Thursday night at 6pm. Pretty dead. Picked up some after 7pm, but less than half full. Service was fine, the waiter was helpful, fairly standard for suburbia. Instead of bread while you wait, they serve potato chips with old bay seasoning. OK, but kind of dry - could use a dipping sauce to accompany them. Couldn't tell if they were homemade or out of a Route 66 bag. The beer menu is pretty limited for a bar - the draft beers were all lager / pilsner type, even the microbrews. Not much of a selection. For dinner, I had the Salmon BLT, a recent addition to the menu within the last week. It was on a pretzel bun, which I thought might be too hard for the soft salmon. But it worked - nice combination of flavors. The salmon was moist, the bacon was thick and flavorful. Instead of fries, I ordered the green beans sauteed. They were cooked fine, but cut up into small pieces - not a great presentation. Looked like kids food. My spouse had the burger (seafood allergies) with sweet potato fries. Most restaurants have these fries pretty soggy; here they were crisp and thin, kind of like a McDonald's fry. The burger came with a hush puppy. I'm not typically a fan, but this wasn't bad - corn and cheesy flavor. For dessert, I had the Key Lime Tart. The waiter said that this is made off-site by a pastry chef / chocolatier. It was a little strange looking (very green), but tasted good, nice key lime flavor. But probably not worth the calories.

As far as decor, they didn't do a lot to this place since the Ruby Tuesday days. Some paint and artwork, maybe some new furniture, but it could use more ambiance and some more dividers between areas.

I might come back to try some of the higher end seafood, but usually if I want a crab cake, I'll go to Clyde's. This place is a lot closer, but the atmosphere ($) doesn't fit the menu ($$$).

Others have mentioned that the owners or manager stopped to check in. I would think that this would be a priority for a new restaurant. We didn't get this treatment, nor did anyone else around us.

I like the fact that we have another seafood choice in the Sterling area, but I'm not sure this will survive in the long run.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Herndon, Virginia
“Excellent Seafood restaurant in Sterling!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I came here with the bf for our anniversary. Most amazing crab cakes! They don't use that breaded crap as a filler, just pure crab meat. This is the best crab cake I've ever had I am from Maryland and I can tell you these are THE BEST! I dare you to doubt me!!!Definitely this is a "special occasion" restaurant. Everything about this place validates its menu prices. Best seafood restaurant I have been to on the east coast. Anniversary or birthday dinner, you definitely want to go here. Wow what a night.! Service also amazing!

The chocolate cake is the best I have ever tasted. It's is absolutely unreal.

Go. Just go.
Decor: Beautiful. It looked like something out of cruise ship...in a good way.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Alexandria, Virginia
“The food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Went there with some friends who raved about the place. Upon entering the place, the owners were there to greet everyone...nice touch.
As soon as we sat down, we were given their homemade seafood seasoned chips...wow! Really nice.
My friends orderd crab cake sandwiches and I had the Frutti Di Mare appetizer...not bad, but the shrimp was kind of chewy. I ordered the oyster Po Boy sandwich and it was delicious. The crab cake sandwiches were HUGE, and they loved it. Both orders came with a choice of regular or sweet potato fries...done fresh.
This is truly a great place!

• Visited April 2013