“Excellent service” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Balti is a relatively new Indian restaurant that popped up in my area. I got coupons for buy one, get one free entree in the mail and decided to give it a try. Now I go at least every other week when I am in town. Excellent chai. Excellent korma (I like to order it in shrimp and staff has no problem accommodating that request even though that meat/sauce combo is not of the menu). The staff is very service oriented: can make dish accommodations, not pushy, will replace entree for free/no hassle if you are not satisfied with the way it is cooked. My favorites beyond the shrimp korma are bartha (eggplant) and the spinach pakora. Naan, paratha, and roti breads all look and taste the same to me (like naans at other restaurants) but are always tasty and fresh.

Visited July 2012

93% Recommend
“Who'd believe you'd find Indian food this good in Sterling, VA?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

This restaurant is located in a strip mall next to the Regal Countryside movie theatres on Route 7 across from Dulles Town Center. It is so nondescript that it took us a while to even realize it was there, even though we frequently see movies at Regal. In our experience, some of the best food we have ever eaten is cooked in these hole-in-the-wall family restaurants in suburban strip malls, and Balti is one of the best such places. We've been there twice in the past two weeks, and are going again tonight because this is where my wife wants to have dinner for her birthday. This should give you an idea of how much we like it. The food is really well prepared, the service very attentive, and the atmosphere pleasant and not too fancy. I especially like the palak paneer and the naan, but everything we have eaten there is quite good. They are very good about making sure the spiciness of the food is to American tastes. We will be going back often.

U.S. expats
“Can't fault the food, but a bit pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I have enjoyed takeout curry for years in the UK, and was pleased to see a quality Indian restaurant had opened in my neighborhood. Food is fresh and well prepared; you will not find the cuisine here greasy or lacking in any way.

However I do think it is overpriced for the type of food and it's competition. It is located in a strip mall with very little character. No problem--several other restaurants, like "Taste of Burma" and "A Taste of Vietnam" are also in strip malls in Sterling. But you would get twice the food for the same price at those establishments.

I think the Balti is very good, but the prices ($14-$19 for a curry) are out of line with other restaurants in the area.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“AMAZING INDIA FOOD”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

Lunch buffett is incredible in terms of quality and quantity of selection. I have been to dozens of India restaurants, including the highest ranked ones, and this one beats it hands down. Dinner is also excellent - just a bit more expensive. It does not look impressive on the outside, but it is really nice on the inside and the food is to die for.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sterling, Virginia
“First experience with Indian...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

SO took me here as he's been here before. I have never had Indian food before. This is a hole in the wall in a tiny strip mall. Don't let that dissuade you though!

I wasn't real sure at first as it was a totally new and foreign taste experience but it truly grew on me and I really enjoyed it. The staff was very attentive to making sure I was enjoying my first experience with Indian cuisine.

We had Flying Horse beer to drink - Indian beer and a rather large bottle. Instead of bread like you get in most restaurants - we were served some sort of cracker - kinda looked like a wrap folded in half that has cracked pepper in it - with two sauces - one sweet and one hot. The 'cracker' was way too hot for my tastes.

SO had Lamb Biryani, I had Chicken Biryani, and we shared Bangan Baharta (eggplant dish). We had some garlic Naan bread with the meal. They do ask how hot you want your dishes - on a scale of 1 - 6. A 2 is "American Hot" - a 6 is "Indian Hot". Something I don't think is on the menu but SO knew to ask for was salted lemon - it was done as a veggie mixture and it's a garnishment and it was salty AND hot - the staff brought out a very very small dish of it (think small metal pinch cup).

All and all - a very good experience - I enjoyed it -and SO said this is very well done Indian. Every other person in there (Friday night) was Indian. We will go back for sure.

• Visited April 2012