“A great alternative to the mediocre hotels near Dulles. Hot girls on reception too =D” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Place Sterling/Dulles Airport-North

Gas Card Package
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Sterling
Farnborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2010

I opted to stay here back in early Sept instead of paying the exhorbitant prices for the hotels in immediate vicinty of Dulles airport - I got it on Expedia for about half the price of those. The hotel is never going to become a cultural epicentre or make any particularly radical style statements, but the room was ... er ... roomy, clean and well appointed. The bath/ shower room would be spacious for a Hobbit but was a bit small for me; not a great problem for the short time I spent in it. I got a free movie package - worth about $20 - somehow, so had no complaints whatsoever. Nice selection of bongo movies on offer too; surprising for such a puritanical State.

Breakfast was the usual fayre for identikit hotels - nothing spectacular but you're not going to go hungry for a few hours afterward either. Their Breakfast Burrito saw me through 'til 8 o'clock that evening. They had Breakfast Tea and Earl Grey which, as an Englishman, I was mighty grateful for.

One reason that I absolutely, definitely would go to this hotel again is that it's a 2 minute walk (or a 3 minute drive. Yep, saw a generously proportioned couple do that ... lol! ) from a Sweetwater Tavern, which had great food, an excellent beer selection and some great folk at the bar.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Janesville, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

We booked it on a discount site and so we got our room for a good price - although we were visiting Washington, D.C. and it's about 40 minutes from the Whitehouse, we decided to stay here for the savings but boy were we surprised!
When we walked in, I didn't find the front desk right away because I thought I walked in the wrong door. The feel of the lobby is like a trendy cafe equipped with awesome looking baked goods and coffee. They have effectively removed the stuffy front desk in exchange for a dynamic multipurpose serving hostess. I think more hotels should follow their lead because check in felt much more personal much because of the atmosphere - the dynamo staff helped for that too,
The room (double) has a couch, a desk, a bar with fridge, and a separate vanity. The colors are warm and not bland and they even use actual granite for their counter-tops instead of Formica. Both my wife and my daughter were floored by the high quality of everything in the room.
The breakfast was an actual breakfast not like some of the skimpier included meals we've had. Bacon, eggs and pancakes - mmmm.
The fitness center is better than some - but not the best in the world - but I got a modest workout completed here with a good swim in the heated outdoor pool afterwards.
Let me finish this with this - I look for certain things in any hotel I get when I travel - this had them all. Location was the only downfall - but it had so much extra that I definitely recommend and would tell anyone to stay here.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Woodland, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

This hotel was way exceeding my expectations.
-Courteous staffs
Greeted by a very pleasant staff after 5-6 hours travel on check -in date. Very helpful. Try to accomodate as much as possible.
-Excellent morning buffett provided
Seattle's Best coffee, several types of begals, juices, milks(whole, 2%, skim), fruits,
yogiruts, cereals( 6-7 different), all kinds of spreads etc. At nice and cozy modern eating area.
-Clean
In and out.
-Convinient
Just a block from major road(Leesburg Highway) in business or tech center complex.
-Free Wall Street on request
-Very nicely, practicaly designed rooms.
-Outside pool is very clean even thogh we didn't use
-Nice fitness center.
Running machine has hooked up with Direct TV.
-At Business center you could print boarding pass.
Shuttle service was very nice,too.
Indeed way better than I expected.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Fairfax, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2010

We decided to give this hotel a shot, since he had a few hiccups at the Hyatt Place Herndon East.

We requested a high floor, corner room on our reservation. As a Gold Passport Platinum member, that's usually not asking for too much. When we checked in on the Kiosk in the lobby, we had a room on the 3rd floor (out of the 5/6). Alright, middle floor's not bad. We were tired from our flight and ready to get some sleep.

When I put the key in the door, there was a "do not disturb" placard out. I figured maybe housekeeping forgot to remove the card. I knocked on the door before inserting my key into the card reader. The green light flashed, and I entered slowly as to not disturb anyone if someone WAS actually in the room. We were greeted by an unmade bed, newspaper strolled across the room, dirty towels everywhere--oh and a condom on the floor.

My guess is that housekeeping signed off the room when they hadn't actually cleaned the room. Maybe to meet a metric or something? Not for sure, just guessing.

We went back to the desk, explained that the room was dirty. The hostess didn't care that we were Platinum members, never apologized, and practically threw the new room key at us for a room that was now no longer a high or medium floor.

Breakfast in the morning (ends at 9:30) wasn't as good as the one we had over at the HP Herndon East..but featured the same selection. Except, the Gallery Hostess weren't restocking the food items (bagels, english muffins, toast, fruit, juices) and instead sitting around the bar area chatting.

One of the manager's did take off 50% of the price of our hotel room as an offer of compensation, which I thought was acceptable.

Never the less, the Herndon Hyatt Place East does offer a superior service to this location.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Morgantown, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

I stayed here while attending a class at the nearby George Washington University campus. As this appeared to be the only hotel in the immediate vicinity I expected the worst but was very pleasantly surprised. The room was very nice and included a coffeemaker, fridge, small seating area and a 40" LCD TV. The free continental breakfast was fairly high quality, with fresh fruit, muffins and bagels, and several kinds of cereal. Wifi access is free.

If you have business in Sterling or nearby areas, or are looking for a place to stay prior to flying out of Dulles, this is a good place to start, and the Dulles Town Centre is nearby if you feel like shopping.

The hotel is quite far from DC - the nearest Metro station is West Falls Church, about a 20-minute drive away. If you are looking for a place to stay while sightseeing, look elsewhere!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Winchester, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

We're just wrapping up a 3 night stay at the Hyatt Place in Sterling as I sit down to write this review. All in all it was a good stay....nothing spectacular about this hotel, but very solid. We picked this hotel to get away for a few days for New Year's.

Pros:
- Check in was a breeze, we just walked in, slide our credit card thru the self check in and it spit out our room keys and which room we were in
- Hotel is very quiet, it almost sounded like we were the only guests
- Nice big TV, 42" HD TV.
- Plenty of space, nice desk, a couch, a small wet bar
- Hotel is in a good location. There is a 20 screen movie theater almost within walking distance, plenty of restaurants, and also shopping within minutes.
- Excellent FAST internet. Couldn't be more happy with the wireless internet here, it was top notch.
- Ample Parking and also well lit.

Cons:
- Limited channels on the TV. Plus NBC and Fox didn't work until the final night (probably not a big deal to most, but it was cold during our 3 days here so we stayed in a lot)
- Not a fan of the bathroom. Namely the sink being located outside the actual the bathroom right in front of the bed.
- Bed was just OK. I saw some reviews on here that the bed was great but I didn't experience it...could've been softer.

So all in all we would stay here again. Solid hotel for a decent price.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Somerville, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2010

This hotel was close to a wedding we were going to. The hotel was great for the price but not quite as nice as other Hyatt Places that I have stayed.
Like a typical Hyatt Place, the lobby was nice, the room was spacious and clean. However, it had a little less space than other Hyatt Places but it was no problem for us.
The hot water was hard to get hot. We were there during the 20 inch snowsnorm but the service was still good.
Overall, the hotel was a good buy for the price.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Place Sterling/Dulles Airport-North? Share your experiences!