“Hotel Staff Shines” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Washington, DC
“Hotel Staff Shines”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

The Hyatt Place in Sterling gave us everything we wanted and needed with the standard amenities and a comfortable king-size bed. Two things stand out: the first is the unique floor plan. A divider wall separates the bed from the entrance area. In the entrance area is a comfortable wrap-around couch, a wet bar and granite counter, a work desk and a closet area with a large sweater drawer. The bathroom is immediately off the sleeping area. This junior suite arrangement allows a person to convene a group for coffee or for one of the couple to read on the couch while the other is in the darkened sleeping area asleep. What meant the most to me in the end, though, is that 15 minutes after I checked out I realized that I had left behind on the coffee table a folder of important papers. I called Matt at the front desk, who promised to run upstairs to "rescue" the folder before the maids cleaned the room and disposed of trash. The very good news is that the maids had recognized the importance of the folder and had put it aside for safe-keeping. Matt easily retrieved the folder, and shortly thereafter I picked it up from the front desk. So, thank you Matt and housekeeping staff for helping to end our stay on such a positive note. I will definitely return! The only reason I'm not rating the hotel "5" is that it is currently undergoing renovation, which very slightly inconvenienced us. Of course the renovation is good news for future travelers!

Room Tip: Ask to stay on a floor that is already renovated or on which the renovation has not yet begun.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

Our second stay here - by choice. Comfortable bed, quiet room. We stayed on the top floor - #6 this time and could hear nothing below us. Decent continental breakfast included with cereal, juices, fresh fruit, yoghurt, bagels, etc. from 7:30 - 9:30. Free shuttle to Dulles airport. Staff very accommodating. You can order some pre-prepared food and beverages 24/7 by the reception desk which is particularly nice even though this is not one of the high end Hyatts. When my husband had a glass of wine ($6.50), I asked for and got a 1/2 glass of wine and was not charged for it. A nice touch. A bowl of fresh apples is always available. The price for a double room (queen sized bed) was $66. plus tax. which seemed very reasonable for the outer D.C. area.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

The hotel is undergoing major renovation. If you want peace and quiet - stay away. Call ahead to see if they are done with the renovation. We stayed there for 5 days and the only days we had peace were on xmas and day after. The constant drilling and banging and dust and smell of paint, glue, latex was terrible. When I called to ask them about the drilling - the man at the front desk said, "you are more than welcome to leave." Oh wow! I cannot believe this is Hyatt. Never again!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Auburn, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

I typically stay at the Lansdowne Resort when traveling to Virginia but it was booked as well as other hotels in the area. This was the only hotel available for my stay.

Things didn't start off well, I had a late flight and called the hotel to let them know I'd be late but to hold my room. When I got to the hotel my reservation had been cancelled as a 'no show'. After a very long flight that had been delayed this was not welcome news. Because they'd given away my original room, I was assigned a room in a construction floor. The hallway had plastic on the floors and it was obvious the room across from me was undergoing major work. Just seems to be my luck, always construction around me.

On the plus side the room was really big with a very large flat screen TV, I'd say in the 42" to 45" range. The room had a little wet bar with refigerator, sink and coffee maker. This would be great for anyone traveling with a larger party.

Another downside was the lack of room service. This is important for me when business traveling since I don't always like to eat out. They had some express 24 service but there wasn't any information in the room on how to use it, they referred you to the concierge who was always busy. I did order breakfast one morning and it was horrible. The scrambled eggs were overcooked and rubbery, the bacon was also rubbery like it was microwaved. I didn't eat here much. The continental breakfast looked ok with bagels, toast, fruit and yogurt.

I wouldn't stay here again if I had a choice, more of a 4 to 5 star hotel person.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
BERLIN, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Great location, clean, comfortable bed, bedding and great pillows. Spacious and comfortable sitting area that I could turn the flat screen towards. (The furniture in sitting area could use an update. This is my only negative comment). The refrigerator, coffee maker and wet bar made my 2 night stay even more comfortable. The staff was efficient and checking in and out was a breeze. Breakfast was included and I enjoyed yogurt, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, excellent fuit bowl and pretty good coffee. House keeping was very quiet and I was able to sleep inn. I rate the experience and price as excellent. I made my reservation thru Pricelines bidding site Thank you Haytt Place!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
nj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

we used the hyatt place as a base for a family weekend in Washington DC. we did not want to stay in the center of dc, we chose this hotel because we have had only good experiences with Hyatt . the hotel was clean, the room large, and very clean. the staff was very accomadating. check in was easy, but the most incredible thing about the hotel was the price. our stay took advantage of the lower. weekend rate.there is a branch of the smithsonian air and space museum about ten minutes away by car, and DC is about 30 minutes by car. the complimentary breakfast was a good way to save time and money. there was a ton of places to shop and eat all within 5 miles.Perils of the lost jungle mini golf was about 9 miles away, and a lot of fun.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Acton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

The front desk staff were very friendly and efficient (especially Fabbi!). The room was spacious and clean, large plasma TV. Oh and FREE WiFi!!! Breakfast each morning is a nice continental with an option to buy a full breakfast. Nice little bar area which is really part of the front desk but perfect for a quick bite to eat or drink. They found a great way to have a limited service property with good size rooms (junior suites really) and some full service amentiies with this Hyatt Place concept. Property is about 20 minutes to Dulles and walking distance to restaurants and shopping. Short drive to outlet shopping.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hyatt Place Sterling/Dulles Airport-North? Share your experiences!